Grazyna Bacewicz (1909-1969)

Started by Maciek, April 18, 2007, 01:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Daverz on November 16, 2019, 01:50:16 PM
I tend to prefer her earlier works, e.g. the Violin Concerto No. 1, the Piano Quintet No. 1.  Her later works tend to sound more bland to me.

I feel similarly. I think her later music tries too hard to be 'avant-garde' or 'cutting edge' when it's obvious that others did this much better (i. e. Ligeti, Xenakis, etc.).

vers la flamme

I don't hear Ligeti or Xenakis in her later works at all. Nor do I think that those two composers ever had a monopoly on the avant-garde!

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on November 20, 2019, 04:37:20 PM
I don't hear Ligeti or Xenakis in her later works at all. Nor do I think that those two composers ever had a monopoly on the avant-garde!

But my point is her brand of avant-garde isn't my cup of my tea and I like her earlier music better.

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 20, 2019, 04:43:05 PM
But my point is her brand of avant-garde isn't my cup of my tea and I like her earlier music better.
That's fair enough. I just found it odd that you brought up Ligeti and Xenakis. Different generation, completely different sound world. Of course, if you don't like it, then you don't like it!

On a related note, can someone tell me if there are any other recordings of Bacewicz's VCs outside of the Chandos discs? Those sound great, but Chandos is never easy on the wallet.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on November 20, 2019, 04:58:30 PM
That's fair enough. I just found it odd that you brought up Ligeti and Xenakis. Different generation, completely different sound world. Of course, if you don't like it, then you don't like it!

On a related note, can someone tell me if there are any other recordings of Bacewicz's VCs outside of the Chandos discs? Those sound great, but Chandos is never easy on the wallet.

But if you listen to Bacewicz's later works, you will find that I'm not too far off and I was just using Ligeti and Xenakis as an example --- as poor of an example as they may be. Anyway, I'm afraid you're out of luck with the VCs. There has been perhaps one or two VCs recorded outside of Chandos on the Dux label, but you'll pay a premium price for those recordings as well. Dux recordings are usually around the same price as BIS recordings the best I can remember. If you really want the VCs, the Chandos is the only game in town right now.

classicalgeek

(cross-posted on the "WAYLT" thread)

Had my introduction to Bacewicz today with these two great discs:

Grazyna Bacewicz
Violin Concertos nos. 2, 4, 5
Joanna Kurkowicz, violin
Polish Radio Symphony Orchestra
Lukasz Borowicz

Symphony for String Orchestra
Concerto for String Orchestra
*Piano Quintet no. 1 (arranged for string orchestra)
*Ewa Kupiec, piano
Capella Bydgostiensis
Mariusz Smolij

(both on Spotify)

Some really excellent music here! The musical language is neo-classical and tonal, but with plenty of dissonance mixed in - right in my proverbial wheelhouse! ;D The violin concertos are substantial works, with lyrical, expressive slow movements and sharply rhythmic finales, and the solo parts are expertly handled by Ms. Kurkowicz. The works for strings were just as pleasing, though I confess the timbre of a string orchestra wears on me over time, so I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the Violin Concerti. But on the whole? I look forward to exploring more of her music! I see there's a series of the chamber music and some of the orchestral works on Dux - which unfortunately isn't on Spotify. I may have to order a couple of CDs...
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Symphonic Addict

CPO is recording her orchestral works, and they started with the Symphonies 3 and 4. Exciting news.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on November 15, 2022, 03:26:29 PM
CPO is recording her orchestral works, and they started with the Symphonies 3 and 4. Exciting news.

That is great news! Bacewicz is a huge undiscovered talent. I don't see it offered for sale so I guess it has not yet been released.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Spotted Horses on November 15, 2022, 06:35:57 PM
That is great news! Bacewicz is a huge undiscovered talent. I don't see it offered for sale so I guess it has not yet been released.

On the CPO webpage they put the release date as 14 November 2022, but I find many of their release dates misleading. I think it will be released in January or hopefully before.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

classicalgeek

Oh, how wonderful!! She definitely deserves a wider audience. I'm thinking it should at least be available for streaming soon, and I look forward to listening. A really underrated composer in my view!
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Daverz

That's good news.  I have a pretty good recording of the 3rd on Koch.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Daverz on November 16, 2022, 12:15:02 AM
That's good news.  I have a pretty good recording of the 3rd on Koch.

I have come across listings for the recording, but pretty hard to find at a price that isn't insane. It seems like the Koch library vanished from the marketplace when they went out of business. Seems like their classical catalog is owned a company that has done nothing with it.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Scion7

Excellent news.
Her 4th Symphony was performed only once in Poland, then disappeared without trace (recording wise).
A very fine composer!
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Symphonic Addict

Just listened to the recent release of her orchestral works on CPO. Absolutely tremendous. The Symphonies 3 and 4 are imbued with such energy and drive, the music never drags, being the 4th the one that has more fierceness and impact. Bacewicz keeps the ideas flowing with comfortable ease. The recording and performance are more than exemplary, Borowicz and the WDR Sinfonieorchester did their best here. A must hear for any fans of brooding, forceful, relentless symphonies.

Noam Chomsky

Scion7

Downloaded this one today.  Especially impressed with the 4th.
Her mastery of the so-called "avante garde" here is complete.

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Skogwald

Bacewicz is an excellent composer!

Which ensemble do you prefer in the string quartets? I'm leaning towards Lutoslawski Quartet with their more dramatic, dynamic style (compared to the Silesians).

Currently my favorite Bacewicz discs are Lutoslawski Quartet's SQs vol 2 and Zimerman's Piano quintets + piano sonata 2. The new symphony disc is also excellent!

Symphonic Addict

Another fan here. All what I've heard by her has been more than rewarding. Apart from the violin concertos and string quartets on Chandos and the symphonies on CPO, some of my favorite recordings are these:

Noam Chomsky

Brahmsian

Placed an order for these two yesterday on Presto:

Skogwald

Quote from: OrchestralNut on February 16, 2023, 12:42:54 PMPlaced an order for these two yesterday on Presto:

Those are both really good! I think you also need a recording of the two piano quintets, I like Zimerman's recording but the Silesians do a great job too.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Skogwald on February 19, 2023, 09:25:58 AMThose are both really good! I think you also need a recording of the two piano quintets, I like Zimerman's recording but the Silesians do a great job too.

Thank you. I will look into that! 😎