Grazyna Bacewicz (1909-1969)

Started by Maciek, April 18, 2007, 01:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

Let me plug Krzysztof Meyer and his wonderful string quartets on Naxos.

Scion7

The broadcast of the 4th symphony is finally on YouTube - the issue is, the manuscript was never formally published - the Polish Radio Symphony performance worked off her copies.  So, I would imagine that someone will need to push for this to be published first.  While it did come towards the end of her life, for whatever reasons - rewrite after hearing the performance, looking for a non-commie deal for it - she didn't have it published. UPDATE: it was not her 4th.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

André

The second sonata is indeed close to his heart. He recorded it twice, first as a very young man and later in his career (in this DG disc). I wonder how the two compare ?

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: André on January 24, 2018, 01:07:13 PM
The second sonata is indeed close to his heart. He recorded it twice, first as a very young man and later in his career (in this DG disc). I wonder how the two compare ?

has anyone here got the Olympia recording? (Olympia presumably wasn't even the original label... they did mostly shady re-issues) It is hopelessly out of print.

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on January 24, 2018, 02:07:32 PM
has anyone here got the Olympia recording? (Olympia presumably wasn't even the original label... they did mostly shady re-issues) It is hopelessly out of print.

The Olympia release seems to have license information

Cato

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Daverz

Why do you say they were shady?

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Daverz on January 24, 2018, 02:53:02 PM
Why do you say they were shady?

The people from Melodiya were bitching about them in shrill tones. Perhaps Olympia explored some gray territory when the scene (and countries?) were in upheaval.

I suppose I wouldn't-shouldn't apply that "shady" sobriquet" to the label as such.

André

I believe it was issued first on the polish label, Polskie nagranya

Its discmate was the Pathétique sonata... ;)

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: André on January 24, 2018, 04:07:00 PM
I believe it was issued first on the polish label, Polskie nagranya
That's what the licensing information on the Olympia CD says.

snyprrr

I think she bears a striking resemblance to Lutoslawski... the eyes and the nose...

Brahmsian

Just listened to Bacewicz for the very first time last night, and I really enjoyed what I heard - her Concert for String Orchestra

In preparation for a live performance I'm attending this evening.

The performance I listened to last night was a you tube performance by the Norwegian Chamber Orchestra.

SymphonicAddict

Lately I've been listening to this set of her complete violin and piano works. I had already enjoyed her violin concertos on Chandos, finding them utterly enjoyable and somewhat folksy (some of them).

The music on this set is absolutely wonderful, quite a discovery for me. By hearing this I often associate her style with that by Martinu in that there are traces of neoclassicism and folk gestures. The rhythmic vitality is another appeal too. I'm not an expert on Bacewicz, but this compilation of works looks essential.

Now Bacewicz is a clear favorite Polish of mine, along with Lutoslawski, Penderecki, Szymanowski, Chopin, Noskowski and Wieniawski.

Mirror Image

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on May 24, 2019, 02:15:00 PM

Lately I've been listening to this set of her complete violin and piano works. I had already enjoyed her violin concertos on Chandos, finding them utterly enjoyable and somewhat folksy (some of them).

The music on this set is absolutely wonderful, quite a discovery for me. By hearing this I often associate her style with that by Martinu in that there are traces of neoclassicism and folk gestures. The rhythmic vitality is another appeal too. I'm not an expert on Bacewicz, but this compilation of works looks essential.

Now Bacewicz is a clear favorite Polish of mine, along with Lutoslawski, Penderecki, Szymanowski, Chopin, Noskowski and Wieniawski.

Very nice. I have that set of violin/piano music, but I haven't listened to any of it yet. You've now given me a good reason to. 8)

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 25, 2019, 05:37:18 AM
Very nice. I have that set of violin/piano music, but I haven't listened to any of it yet. You've now given me a good reason to. 8)

In my case, it's been some good invested time. When you consider pertinent, please do it. Even the many miniatures on the set are incredible.

Mirror Image

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on May 25, 2019, 06:11:55 PM
In my case, it's been some good invested time. When you consider pertinent, please do it. Even the many miniatures on the set are incredible.

Nice to hear, SymphonicAddict. I'll definitely have to give some of this set a listen soon.

kyjo

To the bolded text - no Karlowicz? :o

Bacewicz is a composer I need to explore more. I've greatly enjoyed what I've heard of hers (Concerto for String Orchestra, Piano Quintet no. 1, etc). I'm really surprised no one has issued modern recordings of her four symphonies, considering the increasing interest in female composers recently.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: kyjo on May 26, 2019, 09:02:32 AM
To the bolded text - no Karlowicz? :o

Bacewicz is a composer I need to explore more. I've greatly enjoyed what I've heard of hers (Concerto for String Orchestra, Piano Quintet no. 1, etc). I'm really surprised no one has issued modern recordings of her four symphonies, considering the increasing interest in female composers recently.

Oh yes, you're quite right, Kyle, I forgot him. Karlowicz must undoubtedly be in my list. And I also agree about the need of the recordings of the non-recorded-yet symphonies (1, 2 and 4 iirc). I remember having the No. 3 but I've never have tried it.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

An attractive set, although I'm a little put off that the sonatas are padded to two discs with "miniatures" which I usually don't go for. But given how much I enjoy Bacewicz's work I should spring for this. Thanks for bring it to our attention.