Hearing an Obsessive Harp, Pinkly!

Started by Cato, October 18, 2007, 06:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

I wondered a day or two ago: What has happened to (former?) member PINK HARP?   :o

For those who do not know, Pink Harp had a tendency to reduce nearly every conversation to a jeremiad on the marvels of Debussy's opera Pelleas et Melisande.  And for anyone who begged to differ, you were blasted as insensitive and a Philistine. 

This led to the creation of the adjective "pinkharpian" which meant an obsessive refusal to be the slightest bit broad-minded about one's opinions in aesthetics.

Is Pink Harp possibly still here, but under a different name and under the influence of Prozac?   $:)

Has he/she surfaced on other classical music discussion sites?

How many Pink Harps do you know?
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

locrian

I was wondering where jwinter had gone.

Kullervo

When I saw Mr. Henning use the adjective "pinkharpian", I thought it was just one of those obscure words whose origins lie in some historical event or person.

locrian

I had pinkharp once, but the antibiotics fixed it right up.

Cato

Quote from: Corey on October 18, 2007, 06:08:06 AM
When I saw Mr. Henning use the adjective "pinkharpian", I thought it was just one of those obscure words whose origins lie in some historical event or person.

No, Karl Henning was basing that term on this member!

But for example: Sonic1 wrote the following comment under "Music and Mathematics" in May:

QuoteHey, where is pink harp? I thought for sure we would get a diatribe from him by now regarding this subject.

So you can see the reputation!   ::)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

karlhenning

Quote from: sound sponge on October 18, 2007, 06:09:14 AM
I had pinkharp once, but the antibiotics fixed it right up.

They've got a patch, too, for ongoing maintenance.

knight66

PH went for some avertion therapy for his obsession. It worked in a way. He now sells crack to interested parties from his beautifully painted ice-cream cart, that doubles as his home in Central Park. He is also teaching cooking from his cart and can wallop a scallop, peel and eel and pull a muscle like a true professional.

The only music he hears in his head now is a certain piece roughly four minutes long by his current favourite composer Elliott Carter.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

DavidW

Pink Harp was just one of his handles.  He's been through alot, so don't be surprised if he really is here under a different pseudonym. 8)

knight66

David, A different pseudonym, but was the personality shining with consistency through them all? If so, he conspicuously is not here.

Mike

Lady Chatterley

Quote from: Corey on October 18, 2007, 06:08:06 AM
Like poodlefaker?

knight66

Mark

I miss Eric. He bought Finzi's Cello Concerto on my recommendation - a big step for a man obsessed by that Debussy opera. I never found out what he made of it. Probably a wall clock ...

Harry

Quote from: Mark on October 19, 2007, 02:32:52 AM
I miss Eric. He bought Finzi's Cello Concerto on my recommendation - a big step for a man obsessed by that Debussy opera. I never found out what he made of it. Probably a wall clock ...

Well invite him on your beautiful forum you advertise for.................

Mark

Quote from: Harry on October 19, 2007, 03:07:11 AM
Well invite him on your beautiful forum you advertise for.................

Not my forum, Harry. It's everyone's. :)

Kullervo

What is the significance of the moniker "pink harp", anyway?

???

karlhenning

greg

i also wondered about him a little while ago.
when for the majority of days you go on this site and see an update of a Pinkharpian thread, you get used to it..... and then you don't see one, for what, over a year?
he probably is selling crack....... or has teamed up with Ubloobideega to kill all the infidels.