RIP Jeno Jando

Started by Holden, July 04, 2023, 03:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holden

News from another forum via Slipped Disc saying that Jeno Jando has died at the age of 71.

I have a number of his recordings, especially his traversal of many of the minor works of Beethoven. He was a prolific artist and did complete sonata cycles of LvB, Mozart and Haydn. While he was certainly no Cziffra or Katsaris, he was highly accomplished technically and also a very astute musician and I'd happily recomend his LvB PS cycle to beginners.

RIP
Cheers

Holden

vers la flamme

Quote from: Holden on July 04, 2023, 03:24:41 PMNews from another forum via Slipped Disc saying that Jeno Jando has died at the age of 71.

I have a number of his recordings, especially his traversal of many of the minor works of Beethoven. He was a prolific artist and did complete sonata cycles of LvB, Mozart and Haydn. While he was certainly no Cziffra or Katsaris, he was highly accomplished technically and also a very astute musician and I'd happily recomend his LvB PS cycle to beginners.

RIP

Very sad. I'm fond of his Bartók recordings and his disc of Schumann and Brahms quintets. Haven't heard much else. I'll have to revisit these discs in memoriam.

Bandito

Sad news. His Bartók and Liszt recordings are particularly good.

Brian

He was so prolific a recording artist that he seemed ageless and like his stamina was limitless. He subsumed his personality to the music so entirely that he has sometimes been accused of not having a personality, but strict adherence to the score paid dividends in music like the finale of Beethoven's Moonlight, while his improvisations and flights of fancy make his Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody cycle my all-time favorite.

A story Naxos producers have frequently told is that Jando was such a bad hummer and singer along that during recording sessions, the engineer would put a cigarette between his lips and tell him to keep the cigarette there. If it fell out because he started singing, the engineer ended the take.

Edit: This week I'll spend a few hours listening to his Haydn. His breezy, no nonsense style is a good match to the composer.

JBS

Quote from: Brian on July 04, 2023, 04:28:31 PMHe was so prolific a recording artist that he seemed ageless and like his stamina was limitless. He subsumed his personality to the music so entirely that he has sometimes been accused of not having a personality, but strict adherence to the score paid dividends in music like the finale of Beethoven's Moonlight, while his improvisations and flights of fancy make his Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody cycle my all-time favorite.

A story Naxos producers have frequently told is that Jando was such a bad hummer and singer along that during recording sessions, the engineer would put a cigarette between his lips and tell him to keep the cigarette there. If it fell out because he started singing, the engineer ended the take.

Edit: This week I'll spend a few hours listening to his Haydn. His breezy, no nonsense style is a good match to the composer.

Sad news. Probably underrated because he was the Clydesdale of the Naxos stable.

And strong agreement with Brian's opinion of the Hungarian Rhapsodies.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Holden

Quote from: JBS on July 04, 2023, 06:15:32 PMSad news. Probably underrated because he was the Clydesdale of the Naxos stable.

And strong agreement with Brian's opinion of the Hungarian Rhapsodies.

I didn't realise he'd recorded the HRs so I'm listening now on Qobuz. I'll stick to the better known ones first (2, 6, 9, 11, 12, 15). There is a lot of competition here but what I'm hearing in #2 is an eschewing of the bravura approach and something more melodic and musical.
Cheers

Holden

pjme

RIP Jenö Jandó - a stylish and serious musician!

Wanderer

I don't even remember how many of his recordings I have, certainly more than a few. I've always been particularly fond of his Liszt, especially his Études d'exécution transcendante. May he rest in peace. Αιωνία του η μνήμη!

Florestan

I have his complete Haydn sonatas and complete Mozart concertos. I'm greatly tempted by the Liszt recordings.

May God rest him in peace.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Roasted Swan

Back in the early days of Naxos when they were genuine bargains his recordings were reliably fine whether as solo, chamber or concerted recordings.  I still value many of his discs - he will live on in many people's collections.  Thankyou Jeno Jando