Music Dictator Wish List

Started by Brahmsian, February 13, 2021, 04:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Old San Antone on February 18, 2021, 12:08:38 PM
Okay, you don't like my idea, put forward in a thread asking for this very kind of idea. Last time I checked this was an informal Internet forum, not a steering committee for creating this trust fund and ironing out all of the details of its administration.  You have successfully beaten this small horse to death.   ::)

Next.

You might have remarked that I didn't reply to your original post. I simply inferred from your next post, namely this:

Quote from: Old San Antone on February 18, 2021, 08:56:44 AM
Orchestras and other classical music institutions must pay licensing fees and rent scores and parts, as well as maintain their buildings, and entire campus, promote their concerts, pay salaries to their conductors and musicians, as well as all staff.  If they choose to primarily play music by dead composers, and not support the living generation of composers, they are helping to turn classical music into a museum of old music.

I think if they can afford all the other aspects of operating their institutions, they can add in a small fee to a trust fund to promote new music (presumably including works that audiences will enjoy).  These institutions are usually beneficiaries of either government subsidies or corporate gifts, or both. 

that you were not talking about a theoretical dictatorship any longer but suggested that such an idea might actually be put in practice in the real world. So my point about the real world is that while your goal is noble and commendable, what you suggest for achieving it is creating a fund-controlling cultural bureaucracy which will produce nothing but what bureaucracies, especially fund-controlling ones, produce(d) everywhere, at any time : complacency, conformity, routine, mediocrity and corruption.

If I was wrong and you were still talking theoretically dictatorial, I apologize.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Rinaldo

Quote from: Florestan on February 19, 2021, 01:24:35 AMthat you were not talking about a theoretical dictatorship any longer but suggested that such an idea might actually be put in practice in the real world. So my point about the real world is that while your goal is noble and commendable, what you suggest for achieving it is creating a fund-controlling cultural bureaucracy which will produce nothing but what bureaucracies, especially fund-controlling ones, produce(d) everywhere, at any time : complacency, conformity, routine, mediocrity and corruption.

Aren't "fund-controlling cultural bureaucracies" what keeps many orchestras alive and well all around the world?