Which composers do you associate with which GMG members?

Started by Mark, October 23, 2007, 08:53:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kullervo

Quote from: Mark on October 23, 2007, 12:25:03 PM
Did you hear her last one? Worth every second of the 12 years we had to wait for it:

I must have been the only person that didn't like it. :( My favorite Kate album is The Dreaming, but I don't often listen to her nowadays.

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: Mark on October 23, 2007, 12:23:19 PM
You're too eclectic, dear boy.

This is true. I guess I have more Wagner than other composers at the moment. But at the moment I'm pretty omnivorous  :)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Mark

The Dreaming is indeed a superb album, Corey. But are you telling me you didn't get all the typically Kate 'in-jokes' and clever musical references in the second disc of the Aerial album? It's 42 minutes of pure concept music, of the kind that's only matched by what she did on The Hounds of Love's B-side.

Harry

Quote from: George on October 23, 2007, 09:31:30 AM
That postman must be built like a brick shit-house by now.  ;D

She is a woman George, and not build like a brickhouse........ ;D ;D ;D

Mark

Quote from: Harry on October 23, 2007, 12:43:40 PM
She is a woman George, and not build like a brickhouse........ ;D ;D ;D

Trust Harry to have a postwoman. ;D

Harry

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on October 23, 2007, 09:37:04 AM
Geographically (Harry may dispel the myth) but we are all led to believe Holland is a 'Flat' Country, Flat in the sense of not many up hill climbs?  Good for the Postmen & women and the deliverers of such large parcels  ;D

Yes absolutely flat were I live, but in the south we have hills............ ;D

Harry

Quote from: karlhenning on October 23, 2007, 09:47:16 AM
Jadin - Harry  ;D

Allright, allright Jardin it was, my mistake, geez it follows me around the forum. ;D

Norbeone

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: Mark on October 23, 2007, 12:25:03 PM
Did you hear her last one? Worth every second of the 12 years we had to wait for it:

Haven't heard it yet Mark. I've read mixed reviews  ???

I have:

Never for Ever
The Dreaming
Hounds of Love

All three are classics  :)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Mark

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on October 23, 2007, 12:58:16 PM
Haven't heard it yet Mark. I've read mixed reviews  ???

I have:

Never for Ever
The Dreaming
Hounds of Love

All three are classics  :)

Buy Aerial immediately, or I'll have to send someone round to hurt you. 8) And when the discs arrive, play the second of them first. Unhook the phone, draw the curtains, crank up the volume, lie back and enjoy. :)

FideLeo

Handel - Rod Corkin
Buxtehude - Premont (both great Danes)
:)
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

BachQ

Quote from: karlhenning on October 23, 2007, 11:22:50 AM
D Minor got there first;  it's obvious!  How did we leave that low-hanging fruit for someone whose ID is a key signature!  ;D

Karl, being our resident expert on low hanging fruit ........  :D  >:D

karlhenning

marvinbrown

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on October 23, 2007, 09:47:16 AM
Jadin - Harry  ;D

Hey, I thought I was the Jadin fan. Hyacinthe, at least. Harry probably favors brother Louis Emanuel... :)

DavidW - Mahler. Too obvious? Perhaps... :)

8)

----------------
Now playing: Cherubini Piano - Mario Patuzzi - Cherubini Capriccio ou Etude for Piano 1789 2nd mvmt - Moderato
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Mark

Kullervo

AnthonyAthletic

Quote from: Harry on October 23, 2007, 12:45:04 PM
Yes absolutely flat were I live, but in the south we have hills............ ;D

Do you live anywhere near Valkenberg Harry?  That's in the South and I do remember many a hike upwards.

I went there for a few days a while ago en route to Alkmaar and Amsterdam.  Loved Amsterdam and not only for the Concertgebouw, its a lovely City.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

DavidW

Quote from: Mark on October 23, 2007, 02:15:09 PM
Not at all - I got him in the OP. ;)

Yeah but you misspelled Mahler. ;D

Hummel-- Gurn, Egmont, Holden
Stravinsky-- Karl, DaveR
Schoenberg-- Karl
Bruckner-- Andre
Chopin-- Sidoze
Debussy-- Todd
Vanhal-- Gurn, Gabriel

Is that right?