Granville Bantock (1868-1946)

Started by vandermolen, April 19, 2007, 04:30:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli

Quote from: Roasted Swan on June 16, 2020, 09:54:00 AM
If you can - check this out via spotify etc before purchasing.  The playing/production/engineering is as excellent as ever from Somm but the actual music is pretty insubstantial.  Given the rich heritage of 20th Century British Piano music this is simply not in that league.  Attractive, pleasant, nice to have heard but nothing lingered long in my memory.  Its all rather "salony" - no big abstract works.  Oddly un-Bantock-like I thought!

Hi RS,
I did listen to it on Qobuz before posting it. I still have found it extremely enjoyable in its own right, even if it is not the highest caliber of piano works. If anything else, the moods it conveyed hit the mark for me. 
Olivier

Irons

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 16, 2020, 06:07:43 AM
bumpity bump !  0:)

I have listened to this CD of his cello music this afternoon and found it to be a little gem of an album :

It is and hats off to Dutton for rescuing the two sonatas from obscurity. A fate undeserved. The only problem for me is that one worked piqued my interest above all others, Pibroch for cello and harp. This had a hook, magic, call it what you will, that made the other works on this CD sound a tad ordinary.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Irons on June 23, 2020, 06:54:47 AM
It is and hats off to Dutton for rescuing the two sonatas from obscurity. A fate undeserved. The only problem for me is that one worked piqued my interest above all others, Pibroch for cello and harp. This had a hook, magic, call it what you will, that made the other works on this CD sound a tad ordinary.

Nice one, Lol. glad you enjoyed it. I'll have to listen to it again soon. I still have some the Hyperion volumes to explore as well. I only know (and own...and enjoy...) the one with the Celtic symphony and the one with the Pagan. I need to stream the remaining volumes at some point.
Olivier

vandermolen

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 23, 2020, 07:02:31 AM
Nice one, Lol. glad you enjoyed it. I'll have to listen to it again soon. I still have some the Hyperion volumes to explore as well. I only know (and own...and enjoy...) the one with the Celtic symphony and the one with the Pagan. I need to stream the remaining volumes at some point.
Symphony No.3 'The Cyprian Goddess' is worth hearing as well Olivier.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Papy Oli

Quote from: vandermolen on June 23, 2020, 11:40:28 AM

Thanks Jeffrey, I'll have a look on YT tomorrow. Remembered Hyperion recordings are on my streaming platform.
Olivier

vandermolen

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 23, 2020, 12:32:54 PM
Thanks Jeffrey, I'll have a look on YT tomorrow. Remembered Hyperion recordings are on my streaming platform.
Excellent!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Papy Oli

ooh typo... I meant : they are not  :(
Olivier

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on June 23, 2020, 11:40:28 AM

+1 for this disc.  The Sappho Song Cycle is very impressive too (on another disc from this series)

Symphonic Addict

This new release featuring two impressive works for string orchestra by Bantock (I haven't got the Wilson yet) is just quite succesful. In the Far West is a bold serenade with expert craftsmanship and greatness, whereas Scenes from the Scottish Highlands has more rusticity and enchanting melodies. The performance and sound are exemplary. Thank CPO for this quite interesting recording. One of the reasons why it is one of my favorite recording labels.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on August 21, 2021, 08:20:45 PM

This new release featuring two impressive works for string orchestra by Bantock (I haven't got the Wilson yet) is just quite succesful. In the Far West is a bold serenade with expert craftsmanship and greatness, whereas Scenes from the Scottish Highlands has more rusticity and enchanting melodies. The performance and sound are exemplary. Thank CPO for this quite interesting recording. One of the reasons why it is one of my favorite recording labels.
Nice cover art too. I'm sure that this CD will come my way sooner or later.

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on August 21, 2021, 10:58:28 PM

The album is available on Spotify. I have had a quick listen and saved it to my library for later and more thorough listening. Sounds great.

Mirror Image

All of this Bantock talk reminds me I still have some of this set to listen to:

I still have to say that so far, the only disc that I've enjoyed all the way through is the first one:

But I need to get reacquainted with this composer's style again and see what to make of it now.

VonStupp

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 22, 2021, 06:49:54 AM
I still have to say that so far, the only disc that I've enjoyed all the way through is the first one:

But I need to get reacquainted with this composer's style again and see what to make of it now.

Of Handley's cycle on Hyperion, that is also the one that made the biggest impression on me.
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Mirror Image

Quote from: VonStupp on August 22, 2021, 06:53:39 AM
Of Handley's cycle on Hyperion, that is also the one that made the biggest impression on me.

Yes, it's a magical disc all the way through --- I loved every work. A Celtic Symphony in particular with all those harps and strings.

VonStupp

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 22, 2021, 06:56:54 AM
Yes, it's a magical disc all the way through --- I loved every work. A Celtic Symphony in particular with all those harps and strings.

+1 on that thought. Although I haven't heard his Omar Khayyam on Chandos.
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Mirror Image

Quote from: VonStupp on August 22, 2021, 06:58:37 AM
+1 on that thought. Although I haven't heard his Omar Khayyam on Chandos.

Yes, this is one that I haven't heard nor do I actually own. I might have to look into it at some point.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on August 21, 2021, 10:58:28 PM

I think it's worth listening, Jeffrey. Both works by Bantock and including the Wilson. Bostock and this German orchestra make a stunning team.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Biffo on August 22, 2021, 02:05:06 AM
The album is available on Spotify. I have had a quick listen and saved it to my library for later and more thorough listening. Sounds great.

The more impressive work is undoubtedly the Serenade In the Far West. Stunning from start to finish. And this release does full justice to the pieces. I wonder how they would if performed by British orchestras.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: VonStupp on August 22, 2021, 06:53:39 AM

+2

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 22, 2021, 06:56:54 AM

I can't get enough especially of A Celtic Symphony. It's an authentic tapestry of Celtic sounds and fine filigree of themes and tunes.

Noam Chomsky

André

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 22, 2021, 07:00:48 AM
Yes, this is one that I haven't heard nor do I actually own. I might have to look into it at some point.

There are 2 versions of it, one almost complete on 2 discs in great sound, the other absolutely complete on 4 discs (+other material, all of which is already in the Hyperion box) in quite good sound. Although this may appear like too much of a good thing, the complete Omar is a fascinating work. The treatment of the oriental subject by Bantock is luxuriant, very evocative, with some stunning moments.

The 4-disc Lyrita set is actually cheaper than the 2-cd one on Chandos.