Granville Bantock (1868-1946)

Started by vandermolen, April 19, 2007, 04:30:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: tjguitar on September 01, 2007, 09:36:21 AM

I think there's still another 6 weeks or so before it gets distributed to the US. I wonder what the MSRP will be. I suspect it will not be very cheap.

How much of it utilizes the chorus?

Most of it uses the chorus although there are some orchestral interludes and an atmospheric and haunting orchestral Prelude. I managed to get a copy for £25 (MDT) in the UK. It is nothing like Alan Hovhaness's "The Rubiyat"!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

tjguitar

Quote from: vandermolen on September 01, 2007, 12:22:40 PM
Most of it uses the chorus although there are some orchestral interludes and an atmospheric and haunting orchestral Prelude. I managed to get a copy for £25 (MDT) in the UK. It is nothing like Alan Hovhaness's "The Rubiyat"!

I think I have the Prelude on one of the Hyperion Bantock CDs.

Amazon.com is showing a $49.98 MSRP, Oct 23 release date.

head-case

Quote from: vandermolen on May 19, 2007, 03:51:05 AM
That's v exciting news. Bantock is a significant figure, undesrevedly neglected. The Pagan, Hebriddean and celtic symphonies are great works, as is Symphony 3 "The Cyprian Goddess"

Having heard a few discs from the hyperion series I came the conclusion that Bantok is deservedly neglected.  The obsession with the "exotic" to me smacks of typical British colonialism, and I found his works more full of bombast than music.

vandermolen

Quote from: head-case on September 01, 2007, 09:56:59 PM
Having heard a few discs from the hyperion series I came the conclusion that Bantok is deservedly neglected.  The obsession with the "exotic" to me smacks of typical British colonialism, and I found his works more full of bombast than music.

I can see why you think that but I believe that the Celtic, Hebriddean and Pagan symphonies are fine, atmospheric and, in the case of the Celtic, moving works which deserve greater exposure.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

sound67

The obsession with the "exotic" to me smacks of typical British colonialism

A political argument. Awww, well ...

Quote... and I found his works more full of bombast than music.

With reference to the works listed above, this is definitely wrong.
"Vivaldi didn't compose 500 concertos. He composed the same concerto 500 times" - Igor Stravinsky

"Mozart is a menace to musical progress, a relic of rituals that were losing relevance in his own time and are meaningless to ours." - Norman Lebrecht

vandermolen

"Bantock was noted for his liberal views, and is reputed to have been the first British academic to have attended a faculty meeting dressed in corduroys!" (Lewis Foreman-notes for Hyperion CD Thalaba the Destroyer).

sound67

Quote from: vandermolen on September 02, 2007, 04:48:29 AM
"Bantock was noted for his liberal views, and is reputed to have been the first British academic to have attended a faculty meeting dressed in corduroys!" (Lewis Foreman-notes for Hyperion CD Thalaba the Destroyer).

Indeed so. BTW, the last-mentioned work is one of the weakest in Bantock's oeuvre.
"Vivaldi didn't compose 500 concertos. He composed the same concerto 500 times" - Igor Stravinsky

"Mozart is a menace to musical progress, a relic of rituals that were losing relevance in his own time and are meaningless to ours." - Norman Lebrecht

Hector

You should try listening without your head in a case :(

As for the new Chandos, it is three expensive CDs and will have to wait. Christmas, perhaps.

head-case

Quote from: vandermolen on September 02, 2007, 01:56:53 AM
I can see why you think that but I believe that the Celtic, Hebriddean and Pagan symphonies are fine, atmospheric and, in the case of the Celtic, moving works which deserve greater exposure.
Actually, you have reminded me that I did find the Celtic pleasant and authentic in feel.  It is the "oriental" works that strike me as typically British colonial condescension.

vandermolen

Quote from: head-case on September 03, 2007, 07:45:28 AM
Actually, you have reminded me that I did find the Celtic pleasant and authentic in feel.  It is the "oriental" works that strike me as typically British colonial condescension.

I think that Bantock was fascinated by the Arab world and learnt Persian and Arabic as far as I know. When he died, a book in Persian was found by his bedside. Bantock was apparently liberal in his beliefs and it may be that he had a genuine fascination with that part of the world (presumably a significant contrast to Birmingham, where Bantock was based in the UK!) which went beyond "British colonial condescension" This is not to say that such a fascination does not involve an element of condescension but maybe that does not tell us the whole story.

sound67

Quote from: head-case on September 03, 2007, 07:45:28 AMIt is the "oriental" works that strike me as typically British colonial condescension.

Don't be so narrowminded as to drag in supposed political beliefs into matters they have nothing to do with - namely musical enjoyment.

Lethevich

[My first ever "God, that post I made ages ago was embarassing, I'll delete it", and hopefully my last.]
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

head-case

Quote from: sound67 on September 03, 2007, 12:52:17 PM
Don't be so narrowminded as to drag in supposed political beliefs into matters they have nothing to do with - namely musical enjoyment.
If the musical enjoyment were working the social objection would be moot.  Bantock strikes me as Elgar with a thin veneer of oriental ludeness and sensuality.

Grazioso

QuoteIt is the "oriental" works that strike me as typically British colonial condescension.

Orientalism and colonialism are both far more complex subjects than you seem to imply--indeed, there's a cottage industry of scholarship on those topics if you choose to read up on them--so I'd be careful of sloppily tarring a large group of people with that particular brush.

There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

sound67

Quote from: head-case on September 03, 2007, 04:21:21 PMBantock strikes me as Elgar with a thin veneer of oriental ludeness and sensuality.

Doesn't sound bad at all.  ;D

BTW: The "social" point is ALWAYS a moot point when it comes to art.

The new erato

Hyperions Bantock releases have now been issued as an 6CD budget box.

tjguitar

Quote from: erato on September 10, 2007, 10:50:23 AM
Hyperions Bantock releases have now been issued as an 6CD budget box.

I havent seen anything about this on hyperions site?

nevermind I found it:

$75 US
£43 UK

http://www.amazon.com/Orchestral-Music-Bantock/dp/B000VR055C

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Orchestral-Music-Bantock/dp/B000VR055C

The new erato

Lesson:ALWAYS read the newpre release listings at mdt.co.uk....they are quite comprehensive, and speedily updated (som you may have to scan through them every few day until they are finalized).

tjguitar

Quote from: erato on September 10, 2007, 11:58:14 AM
Lesson:ALWAYS read the newpre release listings at mdt.co.uk....they are quite comprehensive, and speedily updated (som you may have to scan through them every few day until they are finalized).

when I click view more info about that release it takes me to a 404.