The football (soccer) thread

Started by Peregrine, October 24, 2007, 02:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli

No "love lost" for Liverpool either here, but that's the bitter Bordeaux supporter in me talking  >:D ;D

otherwise, i am a french tractor boy ... go figure  8)
Olivier

The Emperor

Quote from: Peregrine on October 24, 2007, 08:12:00 AM
He absolutely roasted us a few weeks ago, fantastic player, better then Ronaldo I think when he's 'on'. There were mutterings that we were gonna' buy him in the summer, but don't think he's a Rafa player. Does he track back? ;D

He does track back when he feels like it lol, he is a fantastic player when he's on like you said, but when he is not, he can be quite irritating, because he is a bit selfish playing, sometimes it's too much when he tries to drible like 3 or 4 players and starts with the circus and ballet stuff, it's fun but come on just past the ball!!

I wouldn't say he is better than Ronaldo even when he is on, cuz when Ronaldo is on, he is unstopable hhehe
Anyway next season i'm sure he will be gone to a top team, 30million € at least for the transfer, and i'm being generous eheh that was pepe and anderson, Quaresma has to be more, much more!

Anyway we draw at marseille and did a good match, could have won if we had scored in the first half, couple of good chances plus 2 shots hit the post, the second half was not as good and we could have actually lost it, thank god for that penalty eheh
We have 5 points, and if we win at home against marseille, 1st place!!!

The funny thing is the favorites, Liverpool only has 1 point and in 4th ;D

Bonehelm

I used to be a major fan of Real Madrid when they had the 7As...now almost all of them left (except for Raul of course) so I don't like them as much. They used to be an all-star team really...

Peregrine

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on October 24, 2007, 02:19:51 PM
Any Difference?

Honestly, I don't know whats funnier  ;D

Quote from: sidoze on October 24, 2007, 02:47:10 PM
let's not forget which team has the best fans in the world  ;D

Tossers...
:P ;D
Yes, we have no bananas

Lethevich

Quote from: sidoze on October 24, 2007, 02:47:10 PM
let's not forget which team has the best fans in the world  ;D

I believe Galatasaray deserve a shot at this prize...
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Scriptavolant

Quote from: sidoze on October 24, 2007, 01:54:09 PM
high scoring game. Nice to see Dida let in so many goals. Did you see him flop at Celtic a couple of weeks ago?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZviLX37sMY

Yeah I saw that. He had great responsibility on the last Celtic goal too. Dida is infact in deep crisis and AC Milan is planning to replace him.

Cska's goalkeeper is another genius  ;D

http://youtube.com/watch/v/HfaoncOikOc

Hector

Quote from: sidoze on October 24, 2007, 01:33:59 PM
I tell ya, Benitez has looked rather clueless strategically since his assistant took off. Could it be another case of Rijkaard without Ten Cate (except without the implication that they play attractive football -- tee-hee  ;D )?

He has never struck me as a great tactician.

Only he knows what he is playing at this season.

At this rate they could end up being the only team in the top half of the table being beaten by Wigan ;D

However, Chelsky aside, it looks as if the Champions League will be won by an English team. Sorry Scotland :(

springrite

Nice to see so many Gooners around here at GMG!

MISHUGINA

It's official! Martin Jol's sacked.

The statement coming from the club is pretty blunt. Instead of parting with "mutual understanding", he's asked to "stand down with immediete effect."  :P

springrite

Quote from: MISHUGINA on October 26, 2007, 03:53:02 AM

The statement coming from the club is pretty blunt. Instead of parting with "mutual understanding", he's asked to "stand down with immediete effect."  :P

Too bad they can't sack some of their players.

matti

Poor Hyypiä, two own goals in a row... :o :-[

lukeottevanger

Quote from: MISHUGINA on October 26, 2007, 03:53:02 AM

It seems Jol found out about this at full time. But radio, press and fans knew at half time.... ::)

Hector

Quote from: lukeottevanger on October 26, 2007, 05:51:55 AM
It seems Jol found out about this at full time. But radio, press and fans knew at half time.... ::)

I don't think so. Before the match started.

He's been a 'Dead Man Walking' since, at least, game 4. Although I think his number was up when he blew a 3 goal lead against Chelsky at Stamfordski Bridge in last years Cup.

Shame Botlon didn't hang on a bit longer before they appointed Gary-Mr. 15per cent-Megson. Mind you, Leicester are looking for a manager who can last more than 10 weeks! ;D

Holden

It's amazing how some quite poor and unsuccessful managers seem to get another job - is this football's version of recycling? Megson would certailnly fit into that mold! You've got to give Spurs some credit for acting now instead of waiting until Xmas when it's far too late.
Cheers

Holden

sidoze

Quote from: Hector on October 26, 2007, 06:08:43 AM
Although I think his number was up when he blew a 3 goal lead against Chelsky at Stamfordski Bridge in last years Cup.

And that was really his own fault. I remember watching his substitutions and thinking he's doing himself in. And he did indeed. The Fulham come back earlier this season hurt too.

The board behaved disgracefully and I feel genuinely sorry for the guy. He did what he could--barring that joke of a £16m Bent transfer, though apparently it might not have been all his doing--and he had a lot of injuries to deal with last season. Main problem was that over the summer the team didn't really address their midfield and defensive worries (which are huge). Instead they did exactly the sort of thing all of us would do as testosterone-fuelled teenagers -- go for the (questionable) firepower  ::)

Shame Botlon didn't hang on a bit longer before they appointed Gary-Mr. 15per cent-Megson.

'You'll never play here again!'  ;D

mahlertitan

Quote from: springrite on October 26, 2007, 05:36:53 AM

Too bad they can't sack some of their players.

Technically, they could, but an early termination of the contract will mean a lot of buyout money.

Peregrine

Yes, we have no bananas

Hector

Quote from: sidoze on October 26, 2007, 09:04:04 AM
And that was really his own fault. I remember watching his substitutions and thinking he's doing himself in. And he did indeed. The Fulham come back earlier this season hurt too.

The board behaved disgracefully and I feel genuinely sorry for the guy. He did what he could--barring that joke of a £16m Bent transfer, though apparently it might not have been all his doing--and he had a lot of injuries to deal with last season. Main problem was that over the summer the team didn't really address their midfield and defensive worries (which are huge). Instead they did exactly the sort of thing all of us would do as testosterone-fuelled teenagers -- go for the (questionable) firepower  ::)

'You'll never play here again!'  ;D

But he was completely undermined by the 'Director of Football,' Comolli.

He wanted a centre-half to replace the long-term injured Ledley King and got Bale. He did not want Bent who, he thought, wasn't good enough(correct) and he wanted Petrov because he thought, rightly, he could combine with his friend Berbatov and Petrov was desperate to get into the Premiere. He wanted a holding midfielder and got Boeteng who, he thinks, is not up to the Premiership.

Having said all that, it is Bale who has proved to be the best buy!

Ramos will have his work cut out fending off the 'internal politics.'

Peregrine

Quote from: Hector on October 31, 2007, 07:08:40 AM
Ramos will have his work cut out fending off the 'internal politics.'

Probably well prepared, coming from Spanish football... ;)

Good luck to him!
Yes, we have no bananas

sidoze

can't wait for the Arsenal-ManU game later today at 12.45. Hope it's a classic. Should wake up just in time for it ;D

ah, the days of fans on the pitch  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrOyedpeZnk