The football (soccer) thread

Started by Peregrine, October 24, 2007, 02:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

springrite

Quote from: huntsman on April 10, 2013, 12:06:14 PM
I love Dortmund!

Only other fanclub in the world to sing 'You'll Never Walk Alone' ...weird, I know! ;D

Nah. You will hear them in Scotland, too. Was it Celtics? I forgot. There's another club in England as well, but in the lower divisions. I do remember both set of fans protesting the claim that it is Liverpool's song, or that it started in Liverpool. (Fact: They were both using the song ahead of Liverpool). But who cares? God Save the Queen is also the National Anthem of Luximburg. But so what. This world belongs to the big boys. Just ask Uncle Sam.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

huntsman

Dang - I had no idea!

Well, supporting Scottish football is best left to the Scots, so I'll stick to:

Barca
Dortmund
AC Milan

and of course my beloved - yet fairly insipid - Liverpool.  0:)
RAP - Add a C to improve it...

DaveF

Millwall 0 Wigan Athletic 2

Wigan into the FA Cup Final for the first time!  Well done to them also for beating the most horrible team in Britain (unless you know different...).  Wonder if Tony was there.

DF
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: MISHUGINA on October 24, 2007, 04:56:37 AM
Arse fan here, hehe!  ;D

I'm a great fan of Arsenal, it's my favourite football team along with Inter and Bayern Munich; I'm very glad it won 3-1 against Norwich this afternoon. ;D
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

springrite

Arsenal fan here as well!

Also very happy for Wigan!

huntsman

Liverpool picked up another point yesterday against a one-man side of Reading.

At least it seemed that way as the goalie pulled off every save in the book (including two that were only pencilled in!) to deny the Reds an emphatic victory.

Instead we were emphatically frustrated...

springrite

Quote from: huntsman on April 14, 2013, 03:06:59 AM
Liverpool picked up another point yesterday against a one-man side of Reading.

At least it seemed that way as the goalie pulled off every save in the book (including two that were only pencilled in!) to deny the Reds an emphatic victory.

Instead we were emphatically frustrated...
I remember when we (Arsenal) used to get it all the time from the lower tier teams when a backup keeper would suddenly become the greatest keeper in the world for 90+ minutes (and often never heard from again). Seems it's your turn now. Pool has really been playing well lately but the results are simply not there.

huntsman

It hurts, man... :(

Anyhow, congrats to the Gunners and a relieved Arsene, eh?  :)

springrite

Is Wigan really going to accomplish another great escape? What a great game. Imagine if they had won the last one which they almost did?

Well, when Arsenal plays Wigan, it is quite possible that Premiership safety for Wigan and UCL football (4th place) are both on the line! I certainly do not look forward to that, and I don't want Arsenal to accomplish Champions League status by dropping Wigan! Let's get that done before that!

huntsman

Told you weeks ago that Wigan would not go down. Still holds true...We need Wigan in the Premier Div!

Big game at Anfield at lunchtime today!Even if we beat the Toffies, however, we will still trail them by 2 points and that's a little hard to chew. Suarez needs a kick up the %^#$ though - thanks to him chewing on a defender he won't get his teeth into Everton, which makes our task damned difficult!

That said, we did manage to put 6 past Newcastle without the little beaver's help...

springrite

Quote from: huntsman on May 04, 2013, 09:47:18 PM

That said, we did manage to put 6 past Newcastle without the little beaver's help...

Your avatar is very Beaverliciously Suarez...y.

springrite

When I was in the US I watched EPL football with a couple of friends -- one an Arsenal supporter like myself, and the other is a Liverpool man. But the last two times I went to the US, poor liverpool guy, Lawrence, no longer watches with us as he is suffering from altheimers. His daughter was the first to suspect something was wrong with dad and took him for a check. The problem she noticed then, ten years ago, was that dad no longer hates Everton.

huntsman

Quote from: springrite on May 05, 2013, 09:51:30 AM
When I was in the US I watched EPL football with a couple of friends -- one an Arsenal supporter like myself, and the other is a Liverpool man. But the last two times I went to the US, poor liverpool guy, Lawrence, no longer watches with us as he is suffering from altheimers. His daughter was the first to suspect something was wrong with dad and took him for a check. The problem she noticed then, ten years ago, was that dad no longer hates Everton.

Papy Oli

A box of paracetamol is waiting at reception for a Mr A. Athletic....

Please pick up Sunday morning first thing...  :laugh:

Olivier

DaveF

Yes, well done, Wigan.  I was sure it would go the way of the form book, as FA Cup Finals nearly always do.  Earlier rounds always produce their crop of upsets, finals almost never.  Even Wimbledon v Liverpool in 1988 and Coventry v Tottenham the year before (supreme moment of my football supporting life, incidentally) don't come close, as both Wimbledon and Cov were comfortably upper mid-table at the time.  Last upset in the final of similar magnitude, anyone?

DF
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

huntsman

Sunderland v Leeds in '73?

Sunderland were in the second Div and were the first team from the lower divisions to win the cup in 40 years...

Well done Wigan, and congrats to Everton's new manager...(?)

springrite

I am so happy for Wigan!

BUT

I need my Gunners to win tonight though!

Even with relegation, winning the FA Cup more than made for it, I'd think!

huntsman

Wigan need the win more than you do, mate -  ;)

I'll be shouting for the Latics tonight and then again as they send Villa into the NPower Championships on the weekend...

Sef

Quote from: huntsman on May 11, 2013, 10:40:50 PM
Sunderland v Leeds in '73?

Sunderland were in the second Div and were the first team from the lower divisions to win the cup in 40 years...

Well done Wigan, and congrats to Everton's new manager...(?)
As a Leeds supporter I was gutted!
"Do you think that I could have composed what I have composed, do you think that one can write a single note with life in it if one sits there and pities oneself?"

springrite

Quote from: huntsman on May 14, 2013, 01:40:30 AM
Wigan need the win more than you do, mate -  ;)

That is true. I would love to see Villa go down instead of Wigan. But as much as I love Wigan, finished above Spurs and in UCL place is of far greater importance to me.

Poldoski just scored as I type! One Nil to the Arsenal!