The football (soccer) thread

Started by Peregrine, October 24, 2007, 02:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on November 26, 2022, 03:00:03 AMAustralia won a rather dull match.

Well...

It wasn't the greatest match, and you can tell which Australian commentators can't resist going overboard.

But we did play pretty well in the first half with a lot of good midfield control. Things got a bit scrappy later, but Tunisia never really made much of their chances. They kept shooting straight at our goalkeeper.

I also have a much greater appreciation of our defender Harry Souttar. He's nearly 2 metres tall, and it turns out those super long legs are INCREDIBLY useful when it comes to a scrambling block.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on November 26, 2022, 03:28:17 AMwe did play pretty well in the first half with a lot of good midfield control.

I missed the first half. Imo the second one was not as interesting as other second halves so far.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Florestan

The Saudis did not played badly (they had more shots on goal than the Poles) but missing a penalty and a colossal gaffe did them in.

And Lewandowski is Lewandowski.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Florestan

France-Denmark 2-0, one of the best matches so far.

And Mbappe is Mbappe.

Madiel

It took me longer than usual today to get through all the games and be safe looking at this thread.

I think Poland can count themselves pretty fortunate. Somehow they're on top of their group. Against that... Argentina will be determined. Which also gives Mexico a chance.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Irons

Quote from: Florestan on November 26, 2022, 08:59:47 AMFrance-Denmark 2-0, one of the best matches so far.

And Mbappe is Mbappe.

Currently best player in the world. I think it most unfair* for France to win two World Cups in a row but beginning to think they will.

*We are still rattling on about 1966!
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Florestan

Quote from: Irons on November 27, 2022, 01:50:00 AMCurrently best player in the world. I think it most unfair* for France to win two World Cups in a row but beginning to think they will.

*We are still rattling on about 1966!

Not in a row, though: the current WC holder is Argentina.  ;)

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on November 26, 2022, 10:54:50 PMArgentina will be determined. Which also gives Mexico a chance.

It was a good match. And Messi is Messi.  :)

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on November 27, 2022, 01:55:29 AMIt was a good match. And Messi is Messi.  :)

And raspberries are raspberries. And chairs are chairs. And dachshunds are dachshunds. And Courtois is Courtois. And...

Gin is how I'm going to get through at least part of Japan v Costa Rica. And my bed is my bed, and I need it.

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on November 27, 2022, 02:02:01 AMAnd raspberries are raspberries. And chairs are chairs. And dachshunds are dachshunds. And Courtois is Courtois. And...

Gin is how I'm going to get through at least part of Japan v Costa Rica. And my bed is my bed, and I need it.

:)

Papy Oli

Quote from: Florestan on November 26, 2022, 08:59:47 AMFrance-Denmark 2-0, one of the best matches so far.

And Mbappe is Mbappe.

Missed France yesterday, Christmas shopping got in the way!  0:)

I'll have to watch it on catch up.

Going along nicely though, in Deschamps we trust  8)
Olivier

Papy Oli

Olivier

Madiel

Just so you're aware, Australia is only my 2nd or 3rd team. I'm a Belgium supporter.

For Australia-Denmark I will be uncertain who I want to win. Australia-Belgium has thankfully never come up.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Madiel on November 27, 2022, 02:40:00 AMJust so you're aware, Australia is only my 2nd or 3rd team. I'm a Belgium supporter.

For Australia-Denmark I will be uncertain who I want to win. Australia-Belgium has thankfully never come up.

Now, where is that dislike button again...  :P 
Olivier

premont

And Mbappe is Mbappe.

No, 2 - 1.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Madiel

Quote from: Papy Oli on November 27, 2022, 02:43:16 AMNow, where is that dislike button again...  :P 

You have a Geelong premiership, what more do you want?

Florestan

Papy Oli

Quote from: Madiel on November 27, 2022, 03:03:17 AMYou have a Geelong premiership, what more do you want?

- A third star on the shirt in 3 weeks time
- A sore losing Courtois in the news saying they should have won
- A "Geelong Premiers 2022" Banner at the top of the GMG homepage, Geelong Magic Geelong... It depends which team @Dungeon Master barracks for, I guess  :laugh:
- Tom Hawkins lifting the premiers Trophy again in September next year
- Antoine Dupont lifting the RWC next year (I'd take that one alone over all four to be honest...the absence of a French RWC win does hurt the most).

Olivier

Madiel

Quote from: Papy Oli on November 27, 2022, 03:16:12 AM- A third star on the shirt in 3 weeks time
- A sore losing Courtois in the news saying they should have won
- A "Geelong Premiers 2022" Banner at the top of the GMG homepage, Geelong Magic Geelong... It depends which team @Dungeon Master barracks for, I guess  :laugh:
- Tom Hawkins lifting the premiers Trophy again in September next year
- Antoine Dupont lifting the RWC next year (I'd take that one alone over all four to be honest...the absence of a French RWC win does hurt the most).

I can't process all this. I have to process Japan v Costa Rica first.