The football (soccer) thread

Started by Peregrine, October 24, 2007, 02:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

As an aside, does anyone here (In the US) know who is currently showing the Cup live?  I was initially watching it on Fox, but then it seems that they aren't showing it live now.  Or perhaps reruns later in the day?

It looks like there's a Spanish channel showing it live, but as I don't speak Spanish, it would be nice to be able to watch it with English-speaking commentators.  Note:  it seems that I can watch it "On Demand", but I'd rather catch the games live.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on November 27, 2022, 03:36:19 AMI can't process all this. I have to process Japan v Costa Rica first.

Surprising, isn't it, that we have come to regard Costa Rica beating Japan as a surprise.  :)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Madiel

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 27, 2022, 03:45:45 AMAs an aside, does anyone here (In the US) know who is currently showing the Cup live?  I was initially watching it on Fox, but then it seems that they aren't showing it live now.  Or perhaps reruns later in the day?

It looks like there's a Spanish channel showing it live, but as I don't speak Spanish, it would be nice to be able to watch it with English-speaking commentators.  Note:  it seems that I can watch it "On Demand", but I'd rather catch the games live.

PD

This is the official page for showing where matches are broadcast. https://www.fifa.com/fifaplus/en/tournaments/mens/worldcup/qatar2022/scores-fixtures?country=US&wtw-filter=ALL
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Irons

Quote from: Florestan on November 27, 2022, 01:54:03 AMNot in a row, though: the current WC holder is Argentina.  ;)

Russia 2018 was the last one wasn't it? France 4 Croatia 2.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Florestan

Quote from: Irons on November 27, 2022, 05:24:16 AMRussia 2018 was the last one wasn't it? France 4 Croatia 2.

You're right, I had a memory lapse.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Morrocco-Belgium 2-0, the world has really gone upside down.  :)

I didn't quite understand the VAR decision this time. The Morroccan player was indeed in offside but he didn't play the ball.  ???

Irons

A short trip for Morocco supporters and didn't they do well. They inspired their team to a famous victory, I for one jumped out of my chair at the second goal. One thing that worries me is OTT celebrations at the end. A more experienced manager would reign that in - a battle won, not the war.   
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Wow, Croatia is giving Canada a thumping!  Now 4-1

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

I don't know if it's because of messianism or lack of education, but the USA team keeps doing weird, and non-soccer related, things against Iran. It just looks bizarre and creepy.

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on November 27, 2022, 07:51:40 AMI didn't quite understand the VAR decision this time. The Morroccan player was indeed in offside but he didn't play the ball.  ???

The rule is whether you are affecting play. Standing almost directly in the goalkeeper's line of sight is a definite Yes.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Florestan

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on November 27, 2022, 12:17:29 PMI don't know if it's because of messianism or lack of education, but the USA team keeps doing weird, and non-soccer related, things against Iran. It just looks bizarre and creepy.

What did they do?

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on November 27, 2022, 06:08:46 PMThe rule is whether you are affecting play. Standing almost directly in the goalkeeper's line of sight is a definite Yes.

Makes sense. I hadn't thought about that.

Irons

Germany deserved their equaliser against Spain. 

Florestan

Quote from: Irons on November 27, 2022, 11:15:40 PMGermany deserved their equaliser against Spain. 

Yes and they will qualify for the eighth-finals --- unless Costa Rica and Japan offer the biggest surprise in the history of WC and send both Germany and Spain home, that is.  ;D

Jo498

I think if Japan and Germany win Spain could still advance because of more goals. But Japan needs to try to win because if Spain-Japan tie Germany will probably advance before Japan as they hopefully will have more goals scored against Costa Rica. And IIRC goal difference are the first tie-breaker, than direct confrontation (which would be Japan > Germany).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Madiel

Yes in any kinds of points tie, Spain's great goal difference and Costa Rica's terrible goal difference will have an impact.

I think Germany are in a fairly good position, but no guarantees.

Madiel

Does anyone else get into the design of the stadiums?

They're not all totally distinctive this time, but there are some different looks and each one has its own logo design for the image in the centre of the field pre-match (when they have the fireworks).

The shipping container and the Bedouin tent that are the ones are immediately recognisable this time.

Florestan

Cameroun-Serbia 3-3. Imho best match so far and the result totally fair. I supported Serbia but Cameroun did not deserve to lose so I am happy with the result.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Madiel on November 28, 2022, 01:40:41 AMDoes anyone else get into the design of the stadiums?

They're not all totally distinctive this time, but there are some different looks and each one has its own logo design for the image in the centre of the field pre-match (when they have the fireworks).

The shipping container and the Bedouin tent that are the ones are immediately recognisable this time.

Ah, I found the list of the stadiums and if you click on them, you can see images of the exteriors.  https://footballtripper.com/world-cup/qatar-2022-stadiums/

With the exception of the shipping containers one, I think that (at least looking at them from the outside), that they are all gorgeous and unique.  Very clever architects.  The containers one is certainly unique, but I'm not keen on it myself.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter