The football (soccer) thread

Started by Peregrine, October 24, 2007, 02:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Ghana - South Korea 3-2, another good match. I felt sorry for the Koreans, they fought hard and would have deserved a draw,.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Florestan on November 28, 2022, 06:15:18 AMGhana - South Korea 3-2, another good match. I felt sorry for the Koreans, they fought hard and would have deserved a draw.
I watched that game (though it was hard to follow the commentary as I was only able to find it in Spanish--at least without paying for yet another service).  Yes, I enjoyed it too and was impressed with the comeback by South Korea.  They managed to level it and then Ghana came back with yet another goal.  :)

PD

p.s.  By the way, what was that mask that the Korean goalie was wearing about?  Was it designed to help protect his face in some way or ?
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Madiel

I think Group H is my favourite (Ghana, South Korea, Portugal, Uruguay). All 4 teams play well and it's a shame that 2 will be eliminated soon...

I think Ghana v South Korea might have been the best match so far. And I believe today was the most goals to date (14).
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Pohjolas Daughter

The excitement begins!

Must admit, looking at the "Permutations explained" on FIFA's website is enough to make my head spin!  And I thought that watching the men's end of year tennis finals (and the women's) with its round robin format was [initially] confusing enough with all of its different scenarios and ways of figuring out who was going through.  ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Madiel

Well, PD, I hope you're still excited.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Madiel on November 29, 2022, 07:11:36 PMWell, PD, I hope you're still excited.
Yep!  ;D

Though seeing Pulisic on the ground and then hobbling around for a while after scoring was really hard to watch.  :(

Alas, I couldn't watch any of the England vs. Wales map, but I'm happy for my English friends here.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

So, Papi, are you watching France play now?

And, Madiel, are you watching *Australia?

Here, watching a bit of the France/Tunisia match whilst trying to get some things done.

Was excited to see France score a goal earlier then letdown when it was decided that one of the players was offsides....so it goes!

*Which reminds me, haven't seen MusicTurner posting for a while? :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Papy Oli

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 30, 2022, 06:20:26 AMSo, Papi, are you watching France play now?

Here, watching a bit of the France/Tunisia match whilst trying to get some things done.

Was excited to see France score a goal earlier then letdown when it was decided that one of the players was offsides....so it goes!

PD

Oh yes I am - even if it's very much a French B-team for now.

The offside goal was for Tunisia, not us, so I am very grateful for the offside  ;D
Olivier

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Papy Oli on November 30, 2022, 06:27:20 AMOh yes I am - even if it's very much a French B-team for now.

The offside goal was for Tunisia, not us, so I am very grateful for the offside  ;D
Oh!  Time for new glasses for me!  :-[  lol  That, and paying closer attention!

Storm headed this way, so am trying to get some things done before it gets nasty.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Sadly for you Papy, but Tunisia did score this time.  It looked to my very inexpert eyes that Khazi did a nice job maneuvering around other players and also avoid the goalie?

Heard that Australia is up 1-0.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Papy Oli

Well that was dire, unsurprisingly with 9 changes initially. Still, job done anyway, top of the group.

Well done Australia too!

Argentina, Poland or Saudi Arabia in the next round for either of us, @Madiel ...
Olivier

prémont

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 30, 2022, 06:20:26 AM*Which reminds me, haven't seen MusicTurner posting for a while? :(

He hasn't posted during the last two months. But he was active a week ago without posting.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

It can hardly surprise anyone that I am very disappointed with the "efforts" of my countrymen to day.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: (: premont :) on November 30, 2022, 08:24:54 AMHe hasn't posted during the last two months. But he was active a week ago without posting.

I thought as much (re posting), but glad that he's been checking in.  I hope that all is well with him.

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: (: premont :) on November 30, 2022, 08:26:39 AMIt can hardly surprise anyone that I am very disappointed with the "efforts" of my countrymen to day.
Sorry to hear that premont.  I believe that you're Danish?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Madiel

Well, now that it's completely safe to read the thread...

What a day. Honestly, I wasn't actually going for Australia for about 30 minutes. For various reasons I know the Danish team better, and they were doing all the attacking. But couldn't put it together.

Edit: Which really surprised me given how good Denmark has been the last 18 months or so.

And then by the second half I remembered where I live. Leckie's goal was superb.

France B was pretty terrible. I doubt Deschamps is happy with his team, and France had better hope there are no more injuries to star players.

Watching Argentina was impressive. Watching Mexico push for the big win they needed was thrilling. I switched between my recordings of the 2 matches, and there were SO many close calls that could have changed the outcome.

Edit: Commentators have pointed out that the Polish goalkeeper has saved penalties in 2 matches, and this in itself is enough to make the difference in their group.

Madiel

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 30, 2022, 06:20:26 AMSo, Papi, are you watching France play now?

PD

Actually watching at 2am is beyond me. Which is why I take leave from work to start at a more sensible time.

prémont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Papy Oli

Quote from: Madiel on November 30, 2022, 07:07:14 PMFrance B was pretty terrible. I doubt Deschamps is happy with his team, and France had better hope there are no more injuries to star players.

That was dire but the 9 changes were necessary sadly. The number and calibre of the absentees through injury did show last night. There's really not much beyond the main 11. We were left with too many unexperienced players.

Did you see that France lodged an appeal to FIFA to have their late equaliser reinstated ?! Even though the Griezmann offside was correct, the VAR Call was made after the final whistle and that is not allowed. Maybe there will be a little bit of karma thrown back at Tunisia after all for their supporters booing the French anthem last night  >:D 
Olivier