The football (soccer) thread

Started by Peregrine, October 24, 2007, 02:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peregrine

Quote from: springrite on November 18, 2007, 07:43:20 AM
Win, lose or draw, England should get rid of McClaren. If he was to be fired had the Russians won, he should be fired after the Russians lost. Half the population of England have a better clue on managing England than this clown. I would happily nominate Sidoze, AnthonyAtheletic or Luke for the job!

I personally think it all went downhill after Venables left.... :-\
Yes, we have no bananas

Peregrine

that win over Holland at Euro '96, best I've ever seen England play...
Yes, we have no bananas

sidoze

Quote from: springrite on November 18, 2007, 07:43:20 AM
I would happily nominate Sidoze, AnthonyAtheletic or Luke for the job!

I nominate myself as new England coach, if only so I, like McClaren, can prance around all the stadia in the country and watch the games for free  ;D

springrite

Quote from: sidoze on November 18, 2007, 07:52:57 AM
I nominate myself as new England coach, if only so I, like McClaren, can prance around all the stadia in the country and watch the games for free  ;D

I nominated you with that in mind my friend, and I ask only for a couple of Arbiter CDs in return for the favor!

DanielFullard

Mclaren was always just the safe option. In my view...we should never have gotten rid of Sven

rubio

Nice to see a football thread. I favour Rosenborg from my home town Trondheim. This year they have done really well in CL - last time beating Valencia 2-0 at Mestalla, easily! And they got 1-1 against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, but that was more of a lucky result that lead to Mourinhos fall (which I really think will harm Chelsea...). Still Rosenborg has some players I used to play against myself when I was 9-19 years old.

In Norway many people follow English team closely and often have a favourite team. For club football I favour Spanish football which I think is more nice to watch. But the EC and especially the WC are the events I really follow. I loved Brazil in 1982 and 1986 + generally teams who play attacking football.
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

sidoze

big game tonight. our home team against the footballing country I always supported after us  ::) not sure how to call the game. could go either way, especially with a crap 4-5-1 formation.

Hector

I got the World Cup winner right and predicted Italy would beat the Scots.

So, how about 3-0 to England and everybody wondering why there was ever anything to worry about?

springrite

Admit it, even some of the petriotic England supporters subconciously want to see a train wreck if just for the entertainment value.

sidoze

Quote from: springrite on November 21, 2007, 06:57:36 AM
Admit it, even some of the petriotic England supporters subconciously want to see a train wreck if just for the entertainment value.

oh no doubt, and I'm definitely one. I know we don't deserve it, and I think the manager is a muppet, all of which makes me think we should sink tonight. But...............a summer without England in Europe? It would be sad  :'(

petriotic :)

springrite

I want England to lose for that reason. Also, I don't want our collection of imports tired to start the next season with your English core rested and fresh!

sidoze

useless. overpaid and underskilled. you could see it coming even when they levelled at 2 all. Spot on Hector, just wrong team with the 3.

springrite

For non-England fans, this game was comically entertaining. A train wreck it is.

sidoze

The Emperor

Portugal did it so i'm happy.
And seeing England lose at wembley when they only needed a draw was kinda of....funny :P

Hector

Quote from: sidoze on November 21, 2007, 01:04:09 PM
useless. overpaid and underskilled. you could see it coming even when they levelled at 2 all. Spot on Hector, just wrong team with the 3.

Wishful thinking on my part.

Could they have been any worse? That first goal...not even Robinson could make a gaffe worse than that!

Ah, well, from the ashes of defeat we will rise again, etc, etc...

Next prediction: a British club will win the Champions League ::)

MISHUGINA

*yawn* so who's the next England coach?

springrite

Quote from: MISHUGINA on November 22, 2007, 08:39:54 AM
*yawn* so who's the next England coach?

If Martin Jol is English he'd be perfect for the job. No club typifies tactic blunders and underachieving like the Spurs (and England).

MISHUGINA

I bet my arse they would bypass the usual aces (eg: Mourinho, Capello, Klinsmann) for another mediocre Englishman....maybe Steve Copell, Stuart Pierce or even Sam Allerdyce.

Hector

Scolari?

My money has gone to those nice people at William Hill.

Question in the qualities today is "Who do we support this Summer, if anybody?"

Suggestions range from nobody, go and watch the cricket, to Croatia, of course, they've got a bloody good team.

Poland? Lot of Poles in England, very nice people, hard-working, don't rip you off, undemanding, etc, etc...

Italy? World Champions, so what, beat the Scots? ;D

Austria? Underdogs and, being English, we always support the underdog(yes, but they are...Austrian!).

France? I know, but, they are nearby and most of their best players play in the EPL - and the best of them play for...Arsenal!

Netherlands? See above!

Me, I'm a Francophile but those Russians play well under Guus Hiddink...hmm, difficult.