The football (soccer) thread

Started by Peregrine, October 24, 2007, 02:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Emperor

Man Utd fans at least will be supporting us, Portugal!! :D because of Ronaldo ...eheh

sidoze

Quote from: Hector on November 23, 2007, 06:04:14 AM

Question in the qualities today is "Who do we support this Summer, if anybody?"

like I said before, I support Croatia in spite of all :) *runs*

val

I am sorry that England was defeated.

They would not win the EC but they could provide good games. Croatia is a very modest team and I don't like the way they play.

Without England, we will have four good teams, Germany, Czech Republic, Portugal and Spain, but not strong enough to defeat Italy or France.

Italy will probably win. But their game is so boring !!

rubio

Quote from: val on November 24, 2007, 04:18:27 AM
I am sorry that England was defeated.

They would not win the EC but they could provide good games. Croatia is a very modest team and I don't like the way they play.

Without England, we will have four good teams, Germany, Czech Republic, Portugal and Spain, but not strong enough to defeat Italy or France.

Italy will probably win. But their game is so boring !!

Yeah, England can definately participate in some of the classic games when they are in the EC/WC, but they often lose them. And then they often play bad against the weaker teams. I think England (more than other countries) clearly plays at their best at Wembley. Probably they will need to have the EC/WC at home if should have a chance to win it all. They were close in '96.

Italy's game can be boring, and I was SO disappointed when France lost the finale in the WC. Sometimes they play OK in some matches, but when they're getting closer to the finale they always choose the safe and boring defensive/counter-attacking game. I will be a little surprised if they win next summer. Usually it's very difficult to win both the EC/WC in a row. And their team is not so excellent.

I say never under-estimate the Germans. They're almost at home in Austria/Switzerland, so my guess is that they will grab the title next summer.

Czech Republic's golden generation is sadly over (when Nedved said goodbye). They were the moral winners of last EC. I loved their beautiful attacking football. Sadly they were stopped by Nedveds injury, and the super-defensive Greek team.

Portugal will not be the same after Figo quitted, and Spain...They have very good players but talk about a team with such LACK of success in championships.
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Papy Oli

Euro 2008 tables have been drawn :

Group A
1-Switzerland
2-Czech Republic
3-Portugal
4-Turkey

Group B
1-Austria
2-Croatia
3-Germany
4-Poland

Group C
1-Netherlands
2-Italy
3-Romania
4-France

Group D
1-Greece
2-Sweden
3-Spain
4-Russia

Will surely be interesting from the French perspective  :-\ :-\ :-\
Olivier

The Emperor

Good group for Portugal, it shouldn't be too hard if we play at our level 8)

Holland, France and Italy in the same group, sweet, one will go sooner!!

sidoze

Quote from: papy on December 02, 2007, 02:58:30 AM

Group C
1-Netherlands
2-Italy
3-Romania
4-France

you can almost bet your house that someone from this, ***The Group of Death****, will win Euro '08. Often it's a team that has it rough from the start that'll make it through.

The Emperor

Greece last time didn't have a hard time, they beat us in the group, and then beat us in the final.
Did i mention i hate them? lolz

Hector

Quote from: The Emperor on December 02, 2007, 03:30:13 AM
Greece last time didn't have a hard time, they beat us in the group, and then beat us in the final.
Did i mention i hate them? lolz

You and me both.

Boring one nil wins.

However, the 'Group of Death' will be so exhausting for the teams that none that get through will, eventually, reach the final.

Good time to put some money on Croatia. Teams that beat England tend to do well ;D

Scriptavolant

First knockout round draw for Champions League.

Schalke   - Porto   
Roma - Real Madrid   
Olympiacos - Chelsea   
Liverpool - Internazionale   
Celtic - Barcelona   
Lyon - Man. United   
Fenerbahçe - Sevilla   
Arsenal   - Milan   

We got Liverpool  >:D
AS Roma is doomed.

Millfields

Quote from: Scriptavolant on December 21, 2007, 11:34:54 AM
First knockout round draw for Champions League.

Schalke   - Porto   
Roma - Real Madrid   
Olympiacos - Chelsea   
Liverpool - Internazionale   
Celtic - Barcelona   
Lyon - Man. United   
Fenerbahçe - Sevilla   
Arsenal   - Milan   

We got Liverpool  >:D
AS Roma is doomed.

It's going to be the following in the next round: Schalke, Chelski, Looserpool, Barca, Man Utd, Sevilla, Arse  :)

ezodisy

Are we going to see Chelsea finally make it through to the Final as they have the second leg at home? If they score tonight then they have every chance of making it. Can't bet against the scousers at home though - 2-1, with Carragher being suspended for the second leg.

AnthonyAthletic

Quote from: ezodisy on April 22, 2008, 09:59:29 AM
Are we going to see Chelsea finally make it through to the Final as they have the second leg at home? If they score tonight then they have every chance of making it. Can't bet against the scousers at home though - 2-1, with Carragher being suspended for the second leg.

No  ;D  This time though, the Scousers don't have the "BIG ANFIELD SECOND LEG" to look forward to.

Chelsea 1 v Wigan Athletic 1 (hahahaha)  "Blew the league there BIG TIME"  :D

then again;

Liverpool 1 v Wigan Athletic 1 (hahahaha)

I have an infalible system as to who will be Champions of Europe based on how they did against Wigan LOL

Manchester United 4 v Wigan Athletic 0  There's your next European Champions!!

* Disclaimer, As Barcelona haven't played Wigan this season, nor the next or ever (come to think of it), then my judgment is based on a substantial "What If"  ;D

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

ezodisy

wow what an amazing close to the transfer window. Where the hell did Man City come from? Robinho for 32.5m confirmed on Sky?

lukeottevanger

Quote from: ezodisy on September 01, 2008, 01:07:26 PMWhere the hell did Man City come from?

A rhetorical question, I suppose - they came from Dubai, in a manner of speaking. That surprise takeover is the really shocking story of the day, I think. 'We have deep pockets. Very deep pockets....' they say! Move over Chelsea....

ezodisy

Quote from: lukeottevanger on September 01, 2008, 01:16:28 PM
A rhetorical question, I suppose - they came from Dubai, in a manner of speaking. That surprise takeover is the really shocking story of the day, I think. 'We have deep pockets. Very deep pockets....' they say! Move over Chelsea....

Yeah and you know what I like most about this? The scousers are probably looking on in complete jealousy as they're owned by a couple of American twits instead of that Dubai group which tried to buy them out. Suckers. LOL. Man City are sending out a message (as you said from Dubai) that they are going to have some real muscle in January and next summer. Thing is, they need some imagination if they're not going to just copy Chelsea's tactic of picking off others' targets (like Berbatov, Robinho, Villa). A symptom of being nouveau riche, no doubt.

vandermolen

I am still trying to come to terms with John Terry's penalty miss in the Champion's League final. If only  :'(
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

lukeottevanger

Quote from: ezodisy on September 01, 2008, 01:22:05 PM
Yeah and you know what I like most about this? The scousers are probably looking on in complete jealousy as they're owned by a couple of American twits instead of that Dubai group which tried to buy them out. Suckers. LOL. Man City are sending out a message (as you said from Dubai) that they are going to have some real muscle in January and next summer. Thing is, they need some imagination if they're not going to just copy Chelsea's tactic of picking off others' targets (like Berbatov, Robinho, Villa). A symptom of being nouveau riche, no doubt.

What I found funny is that (apparently), in a photo shoot to celebrate their acquisition of Man City, the buyers held up a City shirt with Dubai Utd written on it.  :o :o :o :o  They have so much to learn!

ezodisy

Not to worry, money fixes everything, and everyone forgives money. Robinho has agreed to join Man City. What a tosser. Even Calderon stated that it cannot be for footballing reasons. Crying for weeks, calling press conferences to announce his wish to join the chavs, and what happens? ha ha ha ha ha

ezodisy

The Bulgarian gypsy moves north. I always knew that that red colour wouldn't suit him. All the same the league's most creative striker (by a country mile) will now unleash the power of the white Pele, Wayne Rooney. All we need is to get Berbatov an Englsh passport and we'll mop the international floor.