The football (soccer) thread

Started by Peregrine, October 24, 2007, 02:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke

Amazing end to the 90 minutes....again

Papy Oli

Allez Les bl... Blancs  ;D

Well done England in a very even game.  8)

Shame the game was on ITV. It would have been pleasant to see Shearer etc. eating a large slice of humble pie after tonight.

Foden nearly outdid Yamal on his curler shot. It deserved better!!

Going to be interesting how Southgate approaches the Spain game now.
Olivier

Papy Oli

Quote from: Papy Oli on July 02, 2024, 09:57:18 AMI don't know mate... trust the process?  :laugh: 

If England reaches the final (and goes one better), you'll soon forget the dire early games.

Ahem..  ;D
Olivier

Irons

Obviously delighted with result and England deserved it, just. We did get lucky with the penalty call though. I can only recall one occasion when a referee upheld his original decision after it being questioned by VAR and called to monitor review.   
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

ritter

Quote from: Papy Oli on July 10, 2024, 01:57:27 PMGoing to be interesting how Southgate approaches the Spain game now.

¡¡¡Vamos a machacar a la pérfida Albión!!!

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on July 10, 2024, 11:28:32 PMObviously delighted with result and England deserved it, just. We did get lucky with the penalty call though. I can only recall one occasion when a referee upheld his original decision after it being questioned by VAR and called to monitor review.   
Yes, the penalty was lucky but they played with great resilience.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Madiel

Quote from: ritter on July 11, 2024, 12:45:41 AM¡¡¡Vamos a machacar a la pérfida Albión!!!

Easy for you to say  ;D
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Papy Oli on July 10, 2024, 01:57:27 PMAllez Les bl... Blancs  ;D

Well done England in a very even game.  8)

Shame the game was on ITV. It would have been pleasant to see Shearer etc. eating a large slice of humble pie after tonight.

Foden nearly outdid Yamal on his curler shot. It deserved better!!

Going to be interesting how Southgate approaches the Spain game now.

What did Ed say/do?

Quote from: Irons on July 10, 2024, 11:28:32 PMObviously delighted with result and England deserved it, just. We did get lucky with the penalty call though. I can only recall one occasion when a referee upheld his original decision after it being questioned by VAR and called to monitor review.   
I could hear the cheering from England here!  ;D

When is the final?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 11, 2024, 04:05:00 AMWhat did Ed say/do?
I could hear the cheering from England here!  ;D

When is the final?

PD
On Sunday PD
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on July 11, 2024, 06:23:52 AMOn Sunday PD
Thanks!  I suspect that I'll be in the mood to sit/lounge around on Sunday--will tell you why later.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on July 11, 2024, 01:45:53 AMYes, the penalty was lucky but they played with great resilience.

They did, even go as far to say played some good stuff in the first half. Embarrassing to see Kane poleaxed by a foot injury and get up to take the penalty.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Holden

I have to disagree with you regarding the penalty. Dumfries launched himself through the air at Kane, leading with his foot. This was a potential leg breaker and he should have got a yellow card IMO. What pundits and other critics have failed to see/mention is that he started this 'tackle' before Kane had made contact with the ball. This makes the fact that the 'tackle' occurred after the ball had gone immaterial. Now I'm not saying that Dumfries was trying to deliberately injure Kane, he was probably just trying to block the shot but it was rather reckless and a penalty was the correct decision.

What bugs me about all of this is that most of the pundits and other 'experts' (coaches/online contributors/etc) don't have a full knowledge of the laws of the game. And before you question my bona fides, I was a qualified referee for many years and I had to know the game inside out to function in that role.
Cheers

Holden