The football (soccer) thread

Started by Peregrine, October 24, 2007, 02:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498

There have been surprise advances of less highly rated teams in the past but I think they are remembered partly because they are comparably rare. It's usually when a higher rated team is performing poorly but still makes it into the k.o. stage.
Still, at least one underdog will have to advance to the quarter finals from Japan vs. Croatia. Of the other 3 matches, I'd probably least surprised by the Swiss beating Portugal. This would  be the biggest success for Switzerland since 1954 (although then it really was a different world with 16 teams only.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Irons

Quote from: Papy Oli on December 04, 2022, 12:11:41 PMJob done & Job done today.

Bring on England  ;D  ;D

What worries me Olivier is that England have some world class players and France have the best player in the world. Only Kyle Walker has the pace to live with Mbappé and he didn't look fit to me last night.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Florestan

Quote from: Jo498 on December 04, 2022, 11:36:52 PMat least one underdog will have to might advance to the quarter finals from Japan vs. Croatia.

Fixed. Croatia is the current vice-world-champion, so hardly an underdog.  ;)

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Jo498

It's just more evidence how far an underdog can occasionally go... Not quite as outrageous as Greece winning European CS. But you are right that they might be favored in that particular match, although Japan has won against Germany and Spain, so I would not bet on it.

The explanation is probably just that there are relatively few goals/points but soccer seems clearly the one of the international ball games where most surprises occur. (It's usually evened out in leagues with dozens of matches)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

Quote from: Jo498 on December 05, 2022, 01:38:46 AMIt's just more evidence how far an underdog can occasionally go... Not quite as outrageous as Greece winning European CS. But you are right that they might be favored in that particular match, although Japan has won against Germany and Spain, so I would not bet on it.

Greece winning the European Championship was crazy but I supported them all along.

Japan-Croatia is unpredictable. I expect a terrific match.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Florestan on December 05, 2022, 01:43:46 AMGreece winning the European Championship was crazy but I supported them all along.

Japan-Croatia is unpredictable. I expect a terrific match.
When are Japan and Croatia playing?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Florestan

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 05, 2022, 01:48:56 AMWhen are Japan and Croatia playing?

PD

17:00 Romanian time which is 10:00 in Washington, DC. Hope that helps.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Florestan on December 05, 2022, 01:53:47 AM17:00 Romanian time which is 10:00 in Washington, DC. Hope that helps.

Yep!  Thank you.   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Madiel

Japan were utterly brilliant in the first half and I'm very disappointed they only had one goal to show for it.

There was reportedly a second match. You wouldn't know...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

^ Nice game, good players and nice referee. The better team won.

Pohjolas Daughter

Great job by Morocco today...particularly by Bono!  Feel for the Spanish team, but that's how it goes somedays.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Florestan

Papy Oli

Olivier

Florestan

Quote from: Papy Oli on December 06, 2022, 08:56:33 AMwhat a crazy game...

The Spaniards did not lose at penalty kicks. They lost during regular time.

Madiel

That was utterly tedious at times.

I haven't watched the second match, but know the result. I'll watch it later. The goals will make up for the first match.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Irons

Quote from: Madiel on December 06, 2022, 12:37:52 PMThat was utterly tedious at times.

I haven't watched the second match, but know the result. I'll watch it later. The goals will make up for the first match.

I thoroughly enjoyed the game. A master class in defending by Morocco.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Madiel

Morocco were not the problem.

Papy Oli

Netherlands - Argentina
Croatia - Brazil

England - France
Morocco - Portugal

Place your bets, ladies and gents  8)
Olivier

Florestan

Quote from: Papy Oli on December 07, 2022, 01:05:07 AMNetherlands - Argentina
Croatia - Brazil

England - France
Morocco - Portugal

Place your bets, ladies and gents  8)

1-X-2 for all of them.  ;D

Florestan

Quote from: Jo498 on December 04, 2022, 11:36:52 PMat least one underdog will have to advance to the quarter finals from Japan vs. Croatia. Of the other 3 matches, I'd probably least surprised by the Swiss beating Portugal.

In retrospect this is quite funny. An underdog it was, only not from that match. And poor Switzerland, they stood no chance whatsoever.