The football (soccer) thread

Started by Peregrine, October 24, 2007, 02:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli

Quote from: Florestan on December 07, 2022, 01:09:08 AM1-X-2 for all of them.  ;D

smarty pants  >:D

I'll  have a go:

Netherlands
Brazil

France
Portugal
Olivier

Florestan

Quote from: Papy Oli on December 07, 2022, 01:12:53 AMsmarty pants  >:D

I'll  have a go:

Netherlands
Brazil

France
Portugal

Theoretically speaking, you are correct. We shall see.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Jo498

Quote from: Florestan on December 07, 2022, 01:12:01 AMIn retrospect this is quite funny. An underdog it was, only not from that match. And poor Switzerland, they stood no chance whatsoever.
Admittedly, I had not seen any of their matches this time, the hunch was more based on general lack of reliability in case of Portugal and the comparable success of the Swiss of the last few tournaments.

Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

Quote from: Jo498 on December 07, 2022, 01:29:24 AMAdmittedly, I had not seen any of their matches this time, the hunch was more based on general lack of reliability in case of Portugal and the comparable success of the Swiss of the last few tournaments.

I think Portugal played better without Ronaldo.  ;D

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

springrite

Quote from: Florestan on December 07, 2022, 01:31:53 AMI think Portugal played better without Ronaldo.  ;D
Oh, they were better without him by a mile! In Ronaldo's absence everyone seems to feel free, instead of being constantly stuck in the "let's look for Ronaldo" mode or risk the stare, the head shake or the rolling of the eyes from The Big Ego. Nothing better than his replacement, in his first ever start for the National Team, scoring a hat trick!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Florestan

Quote from: springrite on December 07, 2022, 06:21:28 AMOh, they were better without him by a mile! In Ronaldo's absence everyone seems to feel free, instead of being constantly stuck in the "let's look for Ronaldo" mode or risk the stare, the head shake or the rolling of the eyes from The Big Ego. Nothing better than his replacement, in his first ever start for the National Team, scoring a hat trick!

Yep, that's precisely what I meant but was too lazy to write in full. Plus Pepe, 3 years older than Ronaldo, making a great match and scoring is yet another blow in Ronaldo's face.

Irons

Quote from: Papy Oli on December 07, 2022, 01:12:53 AMsmarty pants  >:D

I'll  have a go:

Netherlands
Brazil

France
Portugal

It's not coming home then, Olivier. :(
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Irons on December 07, 2022, 06:55:26 AMIt's not coming home then, Olivier. :(

It might do, Lol, it might do... I am just not particularly keen on the idea of us losing to England on Saturday  ;)

By all means, you can continue your much deserved team progression...just at another time against somebody else  :D  ;D
Olivier

Irons

Quote from: Papy Oli on December 07, 2022, 07:23:33 AMIt might do, Lol, it might do... I am just not particularly keen on the idea of us losing to England on Saturday  ;)

By all means, you can continue your much deserved team progression...just at another time against somebody else  :D  ;D

We get all exited but always ends in tears. So yes, France on Saturday.

Some fans abroad find "Football's Coming Home" annoying. They don't get the irony of the song that England never wins anything.

https://youtu.be/RJqimlFcJsM
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Must admit that I was quite impressed by the way that the Portuguese players played--particularly some amazing jumping and scoring going on; rather a "Take-no-prisoners/No-messing-around" kind of attitude.

Heard that Ronaldo will reportedly be getting $200,000,000 US dollars per season for playing for the Saudis.  :o

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Papy Oli

Quote from: Irons on December 07, 2022, 08:19:52 AMWe get all exited but always ends in tears. So yes, France on Saturday.

Some fans abroad find "Football's Coming Home" annoying. They don't get the irony of the song that England never wins anything.

That irony did got tiresome at times though, and I have only been on this side for nearly 25 years...  ;D

Credit where it's due, Southgate is at least managing to move gradually away from the traumas that the English supporters have wallowed in over the last decade or three or five...(whilst he himself epitomised one of those traumatic times but he has learnt from it in the best way and is passing it on to his players). The way he has reshaped the English team, away from the club cliques within, being given time to develop players is bearing its fruits in the last 2-3 years. There is definitely a noticeable shift there.

To be honest, I am quite worried by Foden, Bellingham and Saka at least. They will create havoc in our makeshift defence (Kounde had a severe wobble for us). On the flip side, I am not too worried by Stones or Maguire (Walker is a much harder proposition).

The over-focus on Mbappé might actually serve us and allow Griezman, Giroud and Dembele more liberty in the game. Mbappé was quite well controlled in the first 20-30 minutes against Poland then he eventually found a way. He is a gem of a player but the over-reliance on him or towards him could be our downfall too. 
Olivier

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on December 07, 2022, 08:19:52 AMWe get all exited but always ends in tears. So yes, France on Saturday.

I hadn't heard that song/seen that video before.  When was that recorded?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Papy Oli on December 07, 2022, 08:42:56 AMThat irony did got tiresome at times though, and I have only been on this side for nearly 25 years...  ;D

Credit where it's due, Southgate is at least managing to move gradually away from the traumas that the English supporters have wallowed in over the last decade or three or five...(whilst he himself epitomised one of those traumatic times but he has learnt from it in the best way and is passing it on to his players). The way he has reshaped the English team, away from the club cliques within, being given time to develop players is bearing its fruits in the last 2-3 years. There is definitely a noticeable shift there.

To be honest, I am quite worried by Foden, Bellingham and Saka at least. They will create havoc in our makeshift defence (Kounde had a severe wobble for us). On the flip side, I am not too worried by Stones or Maguire (Walker is a much harder proposition).

The over-focus on Mbappé might actually serve us and allow Griezman, Giroud and Dembele more liberty in the game. Mbappé was quite well controlled in the first 20-30 minutes against Poland then he eventually found a way. He is a gem of a player but the over-reliance on him or towards him could be our downfall too.

Someone made a valid point that Southgate wins games he is expected to, but has never won a game when England are not favourites to do so. I am looking forward to Saturday though as I think it could be a cracking game.
Hopefully England will not give Mbappé the space afforded to him by Poland.

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 07, 2022, 09:29:57 AMI hadn't heard that song/seen that video before.  When was that recorded?

PD

Ages ago. David Baddiel and Frank Skinner are old men now. ;)

A lady choir sing a reserved rendition of "Football's Coming Home"  https://youtu.be/80USjBrDX4U

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on December 08, 2022, 01:32:28 AMAges ago. David Baddiel and Frank Skinner are old men now. ;)

A lady choir sing a reserved rendition of "Football's Coming Home"  https://youtu.be/80USjBrDX4U
I saw that lady choir video shortly after their live performance.  :D And well done to them!

Speaking of female football teams, I'm very proud of these women:  Winning both on the pitch and off (like as in fighting for equal pay for female soccer players--see lawsuit against the US Soccer Federation)  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_women's_national_soccer_team

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 08, 2022, 01:52:37 AMI saw that lady choir video shortly after their live performance.  :D And well done to them!

Speaking of female football teams, I'm very proud of these women:  Winning both on the pitch and off (like as in fighting for equal pay for female soccer players--see lawsuit against the US Soccer Federation)  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_women's_national_soccer_team

PD

You are right to be proud of them, PD. USA led the way in ladies football with European teams only just catching up. The American captain, with the coloured hair her name escapes me, is a great ambassador for the sport and speaks much sense. As for equal pay, gender should not come into it if female football fills stadiums and television companies pay for it then of course they must be paid to reflect that. 

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 07, 2022, 08:30:10 AMMust admit that I was quite impressed by the way that the Portuguese players played--particularly some amazing jumping and scoring going on; rather a "Take-no-prisoners/No-messing-around" kind of attitude.

Heard that Ronaldo will reportedly be getting $200,000,000 US dollars per season for playing for the Saudis.  :o

PD

Agreed, the Portuguese national team has many technical players who can create a fine, brilliant playing, very enjoyable to watch.

That would be a very rich offer, but if Ronaldo accepted, he would be cut out from the first-rate football; I think he is too egocentric to do that. Not that now there are many teams wanting to offer him a contract anyway....
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on December 08, 2022, 08:10:04 AMYou are right to be proud of them, PD. USA led the way in ladies football with European teams only just catching up. The American captain, with the coloured hair her name escapes me, is a great ambassador for the sport and speaks much sense. As for equal pay, *gender should not come into it if female football fills stadiums and television companies pay for it then of course they must be paid to reflect that. 
I almost typed "Rapina?"...glad that I double-checked.  I suspect that you were referring to Megan Rapinoe?

Speaking of women's sports, did you see how packed Serena Williams' final matches were?  :D

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on December 08, 2022, 08:37:44 AMAgreed, the Portuguese national team has many technical players who can create a fine, brilliant playing, very enjoyable to watch.

That would be a very rich offer, but if Ronaldo accepted, he would be cut out from the first-rate football; I think he is too egocentric to do that. Not that now there are many teams wanting to offer him a contract anyway....
I found this recent article:  https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/fifa-world-cup/world-will-take-note-saudi-fans-on-ronaldo-link-to-local-club/ar-AA152PqM

How much longer do you think that he could last in terms of still being able to play well and for the top teams?  I believe that he's 37 now?  I did notice, however, that one of the older players...I want to say his name was Pedro??  Well, after him scoring a goal, the commentators made note of that and his age (39).  And any idea of what was his then current contract like?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 08, 2022, 08:44:56 AMSpeaking of women's sports, did you see how packed Serena Williams' final matches were?  :D
I found this recent article:  https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/fifa-world-cup/world-will-take-note-saudi-fans-on-ronaldo-link-to-local-club/ar-AA152PqM

How much longer do you think that he could last in terms of still being able to play well and for the top teams?  I believe that he's 37 now?  I did notice, however, that one of the older players...I want to say his name was Pedro??  Well, after him scoring a goal, the commentators made note of that and his age (39).  And any idea of what was his then current contract like?

PD
Well, I think it's not very easy to say, because Ronaldo always trains a lot and takes care of his body maniacally, but certainly not many, age is starting to weigh for him too: he doesn't move on the field as he did before, he misses goals and doesn't serve final passages to his teammates, and moreover, he has poor teamworking and often conplains if he doesn't win; last summer his agent tried to find him another team, he asked everywhere, but it seemed none was interested.
Yes, Pepe scored, he currently plays for F.C. Porto.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Florestan

I strongly support Argentina against The Netherlands. In all other matches I have no preference.