The football (soccer) thread

Started by Peregrine, October 24, 2007, 02:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on December 08, 2022, 09:20:57 AMWell, I think it's not very easy to say, because Ronaldo always trains a lot and takes care of his body maniacally, but certainly not many, age is starting to weigh for him too: he doesn't move on the field as he did before, he misses goals and doesn't serve final passages to his teammates, and moreover, he has poor teamworking and often conplains if he doesn't win; last summer his agent tried to find him another team, he asked everywhere, but it seemed none was interested.
Yes, Pepe scored, he currently plays for F.C. Porto.
Yes, age catches up with us all eventually. Sorry to hear that he's not a team player, etc.  I haven't followed his career (other than knowing his name and that he had a lot of fans and was very talented).  At least according to that article, it sounds like he's going to go for that deal (Who knows though what the actual numbers are?).  We'll find out eventually.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Florestan

The Croatians were fantastic and absolutely deserved their qualification.

Go, Argentina!
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Madiel

Both of the results arguably went the way I would like (although I had Brazil in the office sweep)... but gosh it was tight.

Croatia's ability to cope with being behind, across 2 World Cups, is really quite remarkable. Whoever their psychologist is should be sought after worldwide.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Irons

This World Cup keeps giving and giving. As a scribe once said "You couldn't make it up".

The second Netherlands goal was an act of pure genius.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Madiel

Quote from: Irons on December 10, 2022, 12:47:37 AMThe second Netherlands goal was an act of pure genius.

Indeed. Our commentator was waxing lyrical about having basically never seen that tactic before. Which is exactly why it worked. The Argentines hadn't seen it either!
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

vandermolen

Quote from: Madiel on December 10, 2022, 01:21:05 AMIndeed. Our commentator was waxing lyrical about having basically never seen that tactic before. Which is exactly why it worked. The Argentines hadn't seen it either!

It was very clever!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Herman

Apart from a few moments I thought Argentine - Netherlands was a plug ugly game, a yellow card festival.

Florestan

The Dutch played nothing until their first goal, after which they played very well. Overall, though, Argentina played better and deserved to go further. My anti-Netherlands stance has a reason which has got nothing to do with the team itself; I even felt a little sorry for them, because they really tried hard.

springrite

Quote from: Herman on December 10, 2022, 02:23:39 AMApart from a few moments I thought Argentine - Netherlands was a plug ugly game, a yellow card festival.
Well, that was the worst refereeing performance I have seen in a long long time. He totally lost control of the game. Messi got kicked and knocked down so many times with no cards for the offending players, yet Argentinian players received cards for complaining about the fouls. As it turned out, many of Argentinian yellow cards were for cussing at the referee. They were essentially penalized for speaking Spanish (the ref is from Spain) and not Dutch. The Dutch players had the advantage of cussing in a language the ref did not understand.

You know the referee did a bad job when BOTH sides were angry and upset.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Herman

Quote from: springrite on December 10, 2022, 06:23:25 AMWell, that was the worst refereeing performance I have seen in a long long time. He totally lost control of the game. Messi got kicked and knocked down so many times with no cards for the offending players, yet Argentinian players received cards for complaining about the fouls. As it turned out, many of Argentinian yellow cards were for cussing at the referee. They were essentially penalized for speaking Spanish (the ref is from Spain) and not Dutch. The Dutch players had the advantage of cussing in a language the ref did not understand.

Haha, love it. I have heard many people say just the opposite, and especially that Messi could do anything, just because he was Famous Messi. In general I thought the referee was an interesting example of the lesson 'the more you punish, the more people will transgress.'

Florestan

Anyone for a final Croatia - Morocco?  ;D

Jo498

No, such a final would be 0:0 after extension, I fear. While it was not undeserved, Morocco was very lucky to keep their advantage. Portugal has again turned out to be an uneven and unlucky team. Their only lucky win was the Euro final vs. France (but I am not sure that this balanced out their debacles vs. Greece earlier).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Brian

Quote from: Florestan on December 10, 2022, 08:00:18 AMAnyone for a final Croatia - Morocco?  ;D
I would love a Croatia - Morocco final and an Argentina - France third place match. The only problem with that final is that I wouldn't know who to cheer for. (Perhaps Croatia since they lost so nobly last time.)

Anyway: three cheers for Morocco!!

I took such schadenfreude from the sight of Cristiano Ronaldo abandoning all his teammates and sulking off the field alone while everyone else consoled each other.

Brian

Quote from: Jo498 on December 10, 2022, 08:13:23 AMNo, such a final would be 0:0 after extension, I fear.
This is quite possible, both are elite defensive teams that counterattack only when given opportunity, and they might well combine to make for some uneventful play.

Florestan

Quote from: Jo498 on December 10, 2022, 08:13:23 AMsuch a final would be 0:0 after extension,

Which, of course, could happen in any final.  ;)

Brian

To be fair to Morocco, they have scored decisive wins against Portugal and Belgium, and only went to shootout against Spain, while Croatia has gone to two penalty shootouts this tournament (after doing the same last time).

But Croatia and Morocco have already played each other to 0-0 in the group stage...

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brian on December 10, 2022, 08:14:16 AMI would love a Croatia - Morocco final and an Argentina - France third place match. The only problem with that final is that I wouldn't know who to cheer for. (Perhaps Croatia since they lost so nobly last time.)

Anyway: three cheers for Morocco!!

I took such schadenfreude from the sight of Cristiano Ronaldo abandoning all his teammates and sulking off the field alone while everyone else consoled each other.
I was very impressed the other day when I saw Luka Modric consoling a young Brazilian player...spending a while holding him and talking to him.  Great sportsmanship and compassion.

Didn't see Ronaldo walking off...wow!  Really was that bad, Brian?

Enjoyed a piece on Harry Kane a few minutes ago (leading up to the current match).

And looking forward to watching Mbappe play!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Florestan

Quote from: Brian on December 10, 2022, 08:14:16 AMI took such schadenfreude from the sight of Cristiano Ronaldo abandoning all his teammates and sulking off the field alone while everyone else consoled each other.

His egotism is indeed something else. Still, his frustration is fully understandable: this is the last WC for him.

Florestan

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 10, 2022, 09:03:38 AMDidn't see Ronaldo walking off

He was crying like a baby, consoled by each and every person crossing his way.