The football (soccer) thread

Started by Peregrine, October 24, 2007, 02:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 16, 2024, 03:39:33 PMEr, "who is mustard"?  What does that mean?  "Hot", as in a good player?  :-[ Oh, the differences in our languages.  :(

PD

Not as different as you think!  ;D

https://www.dictionary.com/e/cut-the-mustard/
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on June 16, 2024, 11:17:14 PMNot as different as you think!  ;D

https://www.dictionary.com/e/cut-the-mustard/
I read there that supposedly in the early 20th century, people would call(?) or describe other folks as mustard.  I've only heard the phrase though in a negative sense...as in "that doesn't cut the mustard".

In any event, to whom were you referring?  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

T. D.

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 16, 2024, 03:39:33 PMEr, "who is mustard"?  What does that mean?  "Hot", as in a good player?  :-[  Oh, the differences in our languages.  :(

PD

I'm not a big football follower nor familiar with the vernacular, but I think the reference was to Musiala being an excellent player.

Pleasantly surprised to see Toni Kroos playing so well, not just in Euros but in recent Champions League.
During Germany's bad 2022 World Cup showing, he was savaged by many critics and often called "washed up".

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: T. D. on June 17, 2024, 05:21:19 AMI'm not a big football follower nor familiar with the vernacular, but I think the reference was to Musiala being an excellent player.

I'm pleasantly surprised to see Toni Kroos playing so well, not just in Euros but in recent Champions League.
During Germany's bad 2022 World Cup showing, he was savaged by many critics and often called "washed up".
Thanks (re which player).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Florestan

Following a sensational play with particularly impeccable defense, Romania beats Ukraine 3-0.  8)
When I'm creating at the piano, I tend to feel happy; but - the eternal dilemma - how can we be happy amid the unhappiness of others? I'd do everything I could to give everyone a moment of happiness. That's what's at the heart of my music. — Nino Rota

Luke

They're getting raved about on the radio here.

Florestan

Big surprise, Slovakia beats Belgium 1-0. Two Belgian goals were nullified by VAR (offside and handball).
When I'm creating at the piano, I tend to feel happy; but - the eternal dilemma - how can we be happy amid the unhappiness of others? I'd do everything I could to give everyone a moment of happiness. That's what's at the heart of my music. — Nino Rota

Luke

Nice win for Janacek's team there... Cesar Franck, Guillaume Lekeu, Eugène Ysaye, Henri Vieuxtemps, Johannes Ockeghem, Henri Pousseur, your boys took a hell of a beating....

Florestan

Quote from: Luke on June 17, 2024, 10:03:40 AMNice win for Janacek's team there... Cesar Franck, Guillaume Lekeu, Eugène Ysaye, Henri Vieuxtemps, Johannes Ockeghem, Henri Pousseur, your boys took a hell of a beating....

Ahem... Janacek is Czech.  :D

Luke

Quote from: Florestan on June 17, 2024, 10:05:00 AMAhem... Janacek is Czech.  :D

Well, technically ... ;D  but culturally Slovak  at heart

Florestan

Quote from: Luke on June 17, 2024, 10:09:32 AMWell, technically ... ;D  but culturally Slovak  at heart

Well then, Hummel was technically a Slovakian (born in Bratislava).  :D

The Czech team will play tomorrow against Portugal.

Luke

Quote from: Florestan on June 17, 2024, 10:12:11 AMWell then, Hummel was technically a Slovakian (born in Bratislava).  :D

The Slovaks should take everyone they can get.  ;D 

Irons

Quote from: Florestan on June 17, 2024, 09:59:29 AMBig surprise, Slovakia beats Belgium 1-0. Two Belgian goals were nullified by VAR (offside and handball).

First upset of the tournament. Slovakia had some lucky breaks but I thought they played well and pleased they beat the third favourites.

Big match for Scotland tomorrow. Will not be easy as the Swiss looked good against Hungary. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Florestan

Very good match between Turkey and Georgia, 3-1. Two golazos scored by Turkey, the second almost identical with the first one scored by Romania yesterday.

Pohjolas Daughter

I'm trying to keep up with the news, but am watching some of the grass court pre-Wimbledon tournaments.  Wimbledon starts soon.  Changing of the guard happening in tennis now.  Hard to see the top three retiring/retired (Nadal, I expect soon and Federer, retired). (How much longer will Novak hang in there?) and also what Murray has been going through (and still fighting with a metal hip).

Who all do you think in terms of teams are most likely to win--and who would you like to win?  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Madiel

I'm seeing bits and pieces of the tournament but missed 'my' Belgium falling over.

Given I'm in Spain and soon Portugal, I can adopt new teams... come the final I'll be in Cristiano Ronaldo's home town so it would be WILD if Portugal made it.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Madiel on June 18, 2024, 12:04:11 PMI'm seeing bits and pieces of the tournament but missed 'my' Belgium falling over.

Given I'm in Spain and soon Portugal, I can adopt new teams... come the final I'll be in Cristiano Ronaldo's home town so it would be WILD if Portugal made it.
Had you been a big Belgium supporter for long Madiel?  And between the two teams, who would you prefer wins?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Madiel

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 18, 2024, 12:48:08 PMHad you been a big Belgium supporter for long Madiel?  And between the two teams, who would you prefer wins?

PD

I've been a Belgium supporter since childhood.

These days my inclinations between most teams are fairly mixed and I'm not paying that much attention while travelling... I don't LIKE Ronaldo, I just think it's interesting to try and engage with the tournament while in Europe. And maybe once I'm in Portugal I'll really like the place and want to support them. But 7 weeks in Spain has certainly made me attached to the place. Same as my times in Denmark made me attached there. Visiting England doesn't seem to have the same effect...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Florestan

Albania-Croatia 2-2, a very dramatic game, reflected in how the score evolved: 1-0, 1-1, 1-2, 2-2. Albania scored for draw towards the end of the extra-time, by the same player who scored an own goal for 1-2. I'm tempted to describe the match as a Balkan War.  ;D

Irons

Quote from: Florestan on June 18, 2024, 10:24:15 AMVery good match between Turkey and Georgia, 3-1. Two golazos scored by Turkey, the second almost identical with the first one scored by Romania yesterday.

Great game, best so far. Score line flatters Turkey.