The football (soccer) thread

Started by Peregrine, October 24, 2007, 02:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peregrine

As requested...

Congrats. to the Arse (7 nil!) and the Mancs last night.

My boys (Liverpool) are playing tonight and in much need of a win in Turkey after an (ahem) indifferent start to the Champions League, then Arsenal Sunday. Gonna' be a tough week...
Yes, we have no bananas

MISHUGINA

Arse fan here, hehe!  ;D Oh jolly, I did not watch the CL match but wished I had. Good luck against the turks, and hopefully you manager won't go thinkering around further!

Peregrine

Quote from: MISHUGINA on October 24, 2007, 04:56:37 AM
Arse fan here, hehe! 

People will get the wrong(or right!) idea with that kind of talk 'round here...
:P

Quote from: MISHUGINA on October 24, 2007, 04:56:37 AM
Good luck against the turks, and hopefully you manager won't go thinkering around further!

I'm banning the use of tinker, tinkering and tinkerman from this thread. It's a myth, propogated by the media. Rafa tinkers no more than the next manager... ;) Ferguson, statistically, made more changes than Rafa last season, so there!  :P

Well done yesterday, but we'll stuff you at the weekend, at least 1-0 ;D
Yes, we have no bananas

DanielFullard

Fabregas goal last night was an absolute peach....poor Slavia Prague

And big well done to Rangers!

Scriptavolant

sidoze

nothing impressive there. Best fans are Fenerbahce. Just look at this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBBPoyXEOhM

mahlertitan

oooh, Arsenal beat slavia prague 7:0, i guess this is their year.

I used to support Lille, but they betrayed their fans and traded all of their star players... Now I am rooting for Shakhtar Donetsk.

Peregrine

Quote from: sidoze on October 24, 2007, 07:23:59 AM

The Turks can certainly crank it up when they want! I'm sure we'll get a 'traditional' welcome this evening.  ;)
Yes, we have no bananas

The Emperor

Lethevich

If I was to support any team, it would be the one directly in the town in which I am living, rather than the nearest city.

This means that I would be rooting for Yeovil Town F.C., who appear to have done very well in climbing three leagues in as many years.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Peregrine

Quote from: The Emperor on October 24, 2007, 08:04:07 AM
FC Porto Fan here! 8)
Quaresma ftw!

He absolutely roasted us a few weeks ago, fantastic player, better then Ronaldo I think when he's 'on'. There were mutterings that we were gonna' buy him in the summer, but don't think he's a Rafa player. Does he track back? ;D
Yes, we have no bananas

EmpNapoleon

It's nice to know that GMG supports the Arsenal. 

It's been far too long since the Gunners picked up silverware.  Now it's time.  Cesc is the best in the world.  And what about Hleb? :o
Theo is showing sparks of his future greatness.  RVP is injured (may he have a fast recovery), but Adebayor looks lethal in front of goal.  Flamini is a workhorse.  Diaby is a smooth sailor (who is Vieira?): fantastic skills with the ball.  Rosicky has yet to shine.  Gilberto and Jens are disgruntled.  Clichy and Sagna: it's a beautiful thing watching them.  Gallas is back.  Toure is a king.

We have Liverpool, then United.  We'll be tested (I predict 4 points, but hope for 6).  Some people seem to think that when it gets cold, things will change.  Some think that if Arsenal are still on top of the table come January, they will be champions.  I see nothing stopping the Gunners from firing.  Let it be done. 

Scriptavolant

Quote from: sidoze on October 24, 2007, 07:23:59 AM

I wasn't suggesting that our fans are the best - they're rather cold instead, and pretentious. Just picked up some photos of the Curva Nord. I'm not an "Ultras" admirer to be honest.

By the way, here's a clip from one the most intense "derby" we got recently. Of course we won.

http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/7s9Srs-ia-M

Holden

Yes, Arsenal are looking quite impressive in both the CL and EPL at the moment but you have to look at who they've actually played so far and then reserve judgement. While they are a very attractive  team to watch they are also very young and it will be interesting to see what happens when they come up against the likes of Chelsea, Man U and Liverpool.
Cheers

Holden

sidoze

I tell ya, Benitez has looked rather clueless strategically since his assistant took off. Could it be another case of Rijkaard without Ten Cate (except without the implication that they play attractive football -- tee-hee  ;D )?

sidoze

Quote from: Scriptavolant on October 24, 2007, 08:46:09 AM

By the way, here's a clip from one the most intense "derby" we got recently. Of course we won.

high scoring game. Nice to see Dida let in so many goals. Did you see him flop at Celtic a couple of weeks ago?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZviLX37sMY

sidoze

Quote from: Holden on October 24, 2007, 12:27:34 PM
and it will be interesting to see what happens when they come up against the likes of Chelsea, Man U and Liverpool.

Liverpool this Sunday, the Mancs next weekend I think.

Peregrine

Quote from: sidoze on October 24, 2007, 01:33:59 PM
I tell ya, Benitez has looked rather clueless strategically since his assistant took off. Could it be another case of Rijkaard without Ten Cate (except without the implication that they play attractive football -- tee-hee  ;D )?

My heads in my hands this evening, it's all going tits up! Dunno' whether Pako Ayestran leaving has had an effect, but something ain't right at present...
:(
Yes, we have no bananas

AnthonyAthletic

Any Difference?

Honestly, I don't know whats funnier  ;D

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

sidoze

let's not forget which team has the best fans in the world  ;D