Ernest Bloch (1880-1959)

Started by vandermolen, April 19, 2007, 04:40:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on February 21, 2020, 02:20:42 AM
You obviously have a different system to mine  8)

From acorns.......... ;D
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on February 21, 2020, 07:20:29 AM
From acorns.......... ;D
Haha - not for a while though I fear. However I have now spotted my old Dual turntable above my daughter's wardrobe so I might retrieve it and get it put back into operation if possible.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Have been enjoying this CD over the weekend. I'd never heard the 'Four Episodes' before and they are very engaging and memorable, especially the 'Chinese' section. The 'Two Poems' ('Hiver' and 'Printemps') are very poetic and atmospheric. 'Printemps' at times reminded me of the 'Israel Symphony' in its darkly moving way. The 'Concertino' is more neo-classical in style and enjoyable in a different way. It strikes me that if you want a change from Bloch's more familiar (or less unknown) works like 'Schelomo' this would be a good place to start:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Daverz

Quote from: vandermolen on April 18, 2020, 09:44:27 PM
Have been enjoying this CD over the weekend. I'd never heard the 'Four Episodes' before and they are very engaging and memorable, especially the 'Chinese' section. The 'Two Poems' ('Hiver' and 'Printemps') are very poetic and atmospheric. 'Printemps' at times reminded me of the 'Israel Symphony' in its darkly moving way. The 'Concertino' is more neo-classical in style and enjoyable in a different way. It strikes me that if you want a change from Bloch's more familiar (or less unknown) works like 'Schelomo' this would be a good place to start:

Yes, it's an excellent disc of less well-known Bloch, beautifully recorded.  The early works demonstrate how skilled a composer he was even in his youth.  His style changed a lot, but there's still a recognizable personality behind the music.

vandermolen

Quote from: Daverz on April 19, 2020, 06:56:52 PM
Yes, it's an excellent disc of less well-known Bloch, beautifully recorded.  The early works demonstrate how skilled a composer he was even in his youth.  His style changed a lot, but there's still a recognizable personality behind the music.

Totally agree with you. I think that the CD is 'more than the sum of its parts'. It makes a very nice programme of Bloch's music and I have been playing it through from beginning to end with great pleasure.

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on April 18, 2020, 09:44:27 PM

This looks like an interesting selection, I recognised the name Dalia Atlas but after checking found it was a different disc. I will have to see if I can download the Naxox album. Meanwhile, listening to Prelude and Two Psalms - intense stuff from Christiane Oelze (soprano) with the Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester conducted by Steven Sloane,

André

A few years back I had an intense Bloch period. I bought many downloads from Eclassical and burned them to disc. Unfortunately I stored away these 'fake cds' to make room for the real ones I kept buying and buying. I've pulled them out and will listen to them again. Bloch is one of the most individual voices in music.

vandermolen

I've just realised that a very touching and poignant section towards the end of 'Printemps' reminded me of something; it is the closing section of the towering Symphony in C sharp minor.

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on April 20, 2020, 05:29:57 AM
I've just realised that a very touching and poignant section towards the end of 'Printemps' reminded me of something; it is the closing section of the towering Symphony in C sharp minor.

These 'reminders' can be unexpected - a couple of moments in the Psalms reminded me of Asie from Ravel's Sheherazade.

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on April 20, 2020, 05:39:34 AM
These 'reminders' can be unexpected - a couple of moments in the Psalms reminded me of Asie from Ravel's Sheherazade.

Interesting. I should say that the Bloch CD is only 52 minutes in length but is a case of 'less is more' as it makes a very satisfying 'concert'. I haven't yet mentioned the rather charming 'Suite Modale' for flute and strings.

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on April 20, 2020, 06:07:27 AM
Interesting. I should say that the Bloch CD is only 52 minutes in length but is a case of 'less is more' as it makes a very satisfying 'concert'. I haven't yet mentioned the rather charming 'Suite Modale' for flute and strings.

Thanks, I have already bought the album as a lossless download from Presto - looking forward to hearing it.

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on April 20, 2020, 06:17:24 AM
Thanks, I have already bought the album as a lossless download from Presto - looking forward to hearing it.
Looking forward to hearing your views on it.

André

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on September 29, 2018, 08:59:24 PM

Is there a more epic and stunning first symphony than this one? Walton and Langaard are other superb examples, but at the moment I'm enjoying the thoroughly glorious Bloch, what a boisterous tour de force this is! And magical moments aplenty, music highly suggestive, lush and sumptuous, featuring some of the most cataclysmic climaxes in the music literature. I love this, the terrific blend between Strauss, Mahler and Respighi (mostly) and the Bloch's emergent voice is just astounding, a desert-island work for sure. I tend to prefer this version to that of Naxos, though.

Terrific indeed. I was surprised to hear a fugue in the last movement that sounds strikingly like that in the finale of Bruckner's 5th symphony - an abrupt theme sounded over wide intervals. And yet Bloch does not bring it back for a peroration !

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: André on April 27, 2020, 01:00:16 PM
Terrific indeed. I was surprised to hear a fugue in the last movement that sounds strikingly like that in the finale of Bruckner's 5th symphony - an abrupt theme sounded over wide intervals. And yet Bloch does not bring it back for a peroration !

I did notice that the last movement begins with a fugue, but I couldn't relate it to anything.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Irons

Has there been discussion on this thread of the "Israel" Symphony?
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

André

Quote from: Irons on April 28, 2020, 10:32:56 AM

Maybe. Vandermolen and myself have listened to it last year.

Irons

Quote from: André on April 28, 2020, 10:34:23 AM
Maybe. Vandermolen and myself have listened to it last year.

Thanks. I have now located it.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on April 28, 2020, 10:32:56 AM
I have these recordings all of which I enjoy:
::)
The Svetlanov was reissued more recently on Brilliant Classics and the Naxos recording was originally on ASV.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on April 28, 2020, 01:49:25 PM
I have these recordings all of which I enjoy:
::)
The Svetlanov was reissued more recently on Brilliant Classics and the Naxos recording was originally on ASV.

Memory like a sieve! Looking back on the thread I discovered I have already had a discussion, well a mention, with you, Jeffrey. :o I have the Abravanel recording which I played yesterday - big powerful work.

Still waiting on delivery of the Bloch Naxos CD. >:(

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on April 28, 2020, 11:51:50 PM
Memory like a sieve! Looking back on the thread I discovered I have already had a discussion, well a mention, with you, Jeffrey. :o I have the Abravanel recording which I played yesterday - big powerful work.

Still waiting on delivery of the Bloch Naxos CD. >:(
I played the Bloch Naxos 'Four Episodes' CD again yesterday or the day before, still with much pleasure. I like every work on it and 'Printemps' echoes the 'Israel Symphony' in places. Hope it arrives soon Lol. That Abravanel recording is excellent. Like with Ansermet, I invariably think highly of his recordings.