Ernest Bloch (1880-1959)

Started by vandermolen, April 19, 2007, 04:40:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Rinaldo on June 16, 2016, 12:51:50 AM
Thanks for reminding me I need to find more time for Bloch. The PQs are brilliant.

[asin]B000WE5G6W[/asin]
A staple of my modest collection. Inspired by this thread, I just listened to the piano version of Poems of the Sea and really enjoyed it, exactly my cup of drama.
The Poems of the Sea are excellent in both their piano and orchestral versions. If you like the piano music I strongly recommend this one if you don't already know it. 'Visions and Prophesies' is a piano version of several movements from the orchestral 'Voice in the Wilderness' which I like very much for all its Hollywood biblical film score resonances - or maybe because of them.  :)
[asin]B0000640BJ[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Spineur

Quote from: Rinaldo on June 16, 2016, 12:51:50 AM
Thanks for reminding me I need to find more time for Bloch. The PQs are brilliant.

[asin]B000WE5G6W[/asin]
A staple of my modest collection. Inspired by this thread, I just listened to the piano version of Poems of the Sea and really enjoyed it, exactly my cup of drama.
Kind of tempting.  The Bloch chamber music I know is quite moving.  I'll try to sample this one.

Rinaldo

Quote from: vandermolen on June 16, 2016, 02:24:16 AM
The Poems of the Sea are excellent in both their piano and orchestral versions. If you like the piano music I strongly recommend this one if you don't already know it. 'Visions and Prophesies' is a piano version of several movements from the orchestral 'Voice in the Wilderness' which I like very much for all its Hollywood biblical film score resonances - or maybe because of them.  :)
[asin]B0000640BJ[/asin]

Brilliant, after listening to the Poems of the Sea, I immediately thought about seeking some of Bloch's solo piano music, which I'm not familiar with. Pefectly timed tip, appreciated!

Quote from: Spineur on June 16, 2016, 03:41:51 AMKind of tempting.  The Bloch chamber music I know is quite moving.  I'll try to sample this one.

I was hooked since the first notes of the first PQ, one of the 'coolest' classical openings I know.

vandermolen

Quote from: Rinaldo on June 16, 2016, 04:20:41 AM
Brilliant, after listening to the Poems of the Sea, I immediately thought about seeking some of Bloch's solo piano music, which I'm not familiar with. Pefectly timed tip, appreciated!

I was hooked since the first notes of the first PQ, one of the 'coolest' classical openings I know.
My pleasure. :) Let us know what you think if you get 'Visions and Prophecies'. I like that 'Old Testament prophet' aspect of Bloch's music and very much agree about the epic Piano Quintet 1. I don't listen to that much chamber music but Bloch, Shostakovich and Vaughan Williams (although he didn't write that much) are exceptions.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Spineur

Could you help me decide which version to get ?
There is this disc on amazon.fr, with good reviews.  Its not on Amazon.com, but its also on amazon.co.uk, with also a very warm review.
There is also a Karp-Pro Arte disc which seems to be OOP but maybe availiable as download.
Thanks for your help.

vandermolen

Quote from: Spineur on June 16, 2016, 07:59:13 AM
There is this disc on amazon.fr, with good reviews.  Its not on Amazon.com, but its also on amazon.co.uk, with also a very warm review.
There is also a Karp-Pro Arte disc which seems to be OOP but maybe availiable as download.
Thanks for your help.
Not sure if this is addressed to me but the Hyperion CD is excellent but you wouldn't be disappointed with the other one either. I'd go for the cheapest/most available version.

Spineur

Quote from: vandermolen on June 16, 2016, 11:21:05 AM
Not sure if this is addressed to me but the Hyperion CD is excellent but you wouldn't be disappointed with the other one either. I'd go for the cheapest/most available version.
Thanks, you are always helpful.  Does anybody know his "MacBeth".  Seems like an interesting work.

vandermolen

Quote from: Spineur on June 16, 2016, 10:42:12 PM
Thanks, you are always helpful.  Does anybody know his "MacBeth".  Seems like an interesting work.
No, I need to investigate this too. I've heard some orchestral music from it which I enjoyed but I tend to like Bloch's music generally.

snyprrr

Quote from: Spineur on June 16, 2016, 07:59:13 AM
Thanks for your help.

I'm listening to the opening of ProArte/Karp No.1. My first impression is I should be able to get better sound somewhere... anywhere. It's obviously recorded in one of those hilarious air-tight studios- what were audio-engineers thinking back in the day? Otherwise, the playing seems fine; the mix isn't ideal, either.

And there's the Arabesque Cycle... I forget how they are... except there's 1/8 of a second between Tracks. I think they are somewhat up-front.

Oy- yea, I'm not particularly able to restrain criticism of the ProArte/Karp. I'm not sure the strings are properly handling all notes in an idiomatic manner. Bloch works when it's a bit smudgy.

Daverz

Quote from: Spineur on June 16, 2016, 03:41:51 AM
Kind of tempting.  The Bloch chamber music I know is quite moving.  I'll try to sample this one.

Do not hesitate to get the Goldner's disc of the Piano Quintets.  Sublime music making.

My copy of the Kocian disc had some kind of loud digital blip in the 2nd Quintet.  I don't know if they fixed this in subsequent pressings.

snyprrr

kyjo

I've expressed my admiration for Bloch's Piano Quintet no. 1 in other threads but I'll do so again here. It's a magnificent work that traverses a troubled landscape - sometimes angry, sometimes lyrical, sometimes mysterious - and comes to rest in an incredibly moving bendecitory ending. C major has rarely felt so cathartic.

I also love Bloch's Concerto Grosso no. 1, a really energetic, tuneful work. Bloch, like Stravinsky, was a composer who was able to compose equally well throughout all the different stylistic phases of his career.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

André

+ 2. Both are among my favourite Bloch works  :).

Also worth mentioning is his concerto symphonique for piano and orchestra. I have these 2 versions, both played by a young female asian pianist:

vandermolen

+3  :)
I have those discs too as well as an older Vanguard recording.
Bloch's Piano quintets and SQ No.1 are very fine in my opinion.

vandermolen

I've been greatly enjoying the epic Concerto Symphonique in the Micah Yui/David Amos/LSO version posted by Andre above. This was the first recording (for 27 years) since the old one on Vanguard which, I notice, has been reissued along with Abravanel's Utah version of the 'Israel Symphony' - two of Bloch's greatest works IMHO on one CD in historic recordings.
PS I just read that the sound quality is much better on the old Vanguards of Israel Symph/Concerto Symphonique so maybe better to stick with them!
The Laurel Record CD of Concerto Symphonique, however, is excellent in all respects with interesting couplings.

Daverz

I've never warmed to the Concerto Symphonique.

[...Warming to it.  You have to just go with the big, bold, Hollywood aspect of this score.]

Agree about the somewhat Romantic String Quartet No. 1.  It's nearly an hour long, but so full of diverting music that the time rushes by.  There was a nearly 30 year gap between String Quartet No. 1 and String Quartet No. 2, which is more the Bloch we know from the String Piano Quintets.

vandermolen

Quote from: Daverz on September 26, 2017, 02:15:56 AM
I've never warmed to the Concerto Symphonique.

Agree about the somewhat Romantic String Quartet No. 1.  It's nearly an hour long, but so full of diverting music that the time rushes by.  There was a nearly 30 year gap between String Quartet No. 1 and String Quartet No. 2, which is more the Bloch we know from the String Quintets.

The CS has a kind of Hollyood epic film score aspect to it but I find the themes memorable and am always gripped by it. The Piano Quintet No.1 is another favourite.

vandermolen

This would be a fine introduction to Bloch's orchestral music. Three fine works in excellent performances. Inexpensive on the Amazon UK and US site
[asin]B00004GLLI[/asin]
Navarra/Ancerl give a classic performance of 'Schelomo'.

SymphonicAddict

Is there a more epic and stunning first symphony than this one? Walton and Langaard are other superb examples, but at the moment I'm enjoying the thoroughly glorious Bloch, what a boisterous tour de force this is! And magical moments aplenty, music highly suggestive, lush and sumptuous, featuring some of the most cataclysmic climaxes in the music literature. I love this, the terrific blend between Strauss, Mahler and Respighi (mostly) and the Bloch's emergent voice is just astounding, a desert-island work for sure. I tend to prefer this version to that of Naxos, though.

Daverz

Quote from: vandermolen on March 11, 2018, 12:59:15 AM
This would be a fine introduction to Bloch's orchestral music. Three fine works in excellent performances. Inexpensive on the Amazon UK and US site
[asin]B00004GLLI[/asin]
Navarra/Ancerl give a classic performance of 'Schelomo'.

Yes, great disc.