Ernest Bloch (1880-1959)

Started by vandermolen, April 19, 2007, 04:40:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on September 29, 2018, 08:59:24 PM

Is there a more epic and stunning first symphony than this one? Walton and Langaard are other superb examples, but at the moment I'm enjoying the thoroughly glorious Bloch, what a boisterous tour de force this is! And magical moments aplenty, music highly suggestive, lush and sumptuous, featuring some of the most cataclysmic climaxes in the music literature. I love this, the terrific blend between Strauss, Mahler and Respighi (mostly) and the Bloch's emergent voice is just astounding, a desert-island work for sure. I tend to prefer this version to that of Naxos, though.

The redemptive ending of that symphony is one of my favourites - I find it very moving. I wonder if you know Harold Truscott's Symphony Cesar? It ends in a similar way, although perhaps with a greater level of 'glowering darkness' rather than redemption. If you don't know it you might like it.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on September 30, 2018, 03:11:32 AM
The redemptive ending of that symphony is one of my favourites - I find it very moving. I wonder if you know Harold Truscott's Symphony Cesar? It ends in a similar way, although perhaps with a greater level of 'glowering darkness' rather than redemption. If you don't know it you might like it.

Truscott's Symphony? Don't really, but I'll investigate it if you say that has a moving ending.

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on September 30, 2018, 11:48:18 AM
Truscott's Symphony? Don't really, but I'll investigate it if you say that has a moving ending.
I enjoy the whole Symphony Cesar. In some ways I think that it is not dissimilar to the Bloch symphony.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

A wonderful new disc in terms of programme, performances and recording quality:

vandermolen

Bumping up Bloch to recommend this very nice CD. I like all three works on this Capriccio CD. I've also just read right through this thread (mainly me repeating myself ad nauseam  ::)) but I noticed very little comment on the Violin Concerto, which is one of his best known (or least unknown) works. I rate it very highly as it has all the characteristic Bloch ingredients - powerful, moving in places, memorable, a bit Hollywood biblical epic like, visionary etc. any other views?

André

From the left field (again) comes this terrific version of the violin concerto:

It has been issued on Turnabout, Lys, Naxos, but also in the big box devoted to the violinist on Membran and the Warner box of Munch non-RCA recordings. A truly epochal interpretation.

Edit: I should have added that Bloch wrote the concerto for Szigeti.

vandermolen

Quote from: André on February 15, 2020, 05:49:14 AM
From the left field (again) comes this terrific version of the violin concerto:

It has been issued on Turnabout, Lys, Naxos, but also in the big box devoted to the violinist on Membran and the Warner box of Munch non-RCA recordings. A truly epochal interpretation.

Edit: I should have added that Bloch wrote the concerto for Szigeti.

Excellent! I'm sure that I have that CD (somewhere  ::)).
Thanks André.

Irons

I have not explored the Bloch discography as widely as Jeffrey, something I need to address. Two recordings hold hold a special place which I rate highly are the violin concerto played by Menuhin supported by Kletzki conducting the Philharmonia and Concerto Grosso 1&2 on Mercury with Howard Hanson with his Eastman-Rochester Symphony.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on February 16, 2020, 05:46:44 AM
I have not explored the Bloch discography as widely as Jeffrey, something I need to address. Two recordings hold hold a special place which I rate highly are the violin concerto played by Menuhin supported by Kletzki conducting the Philharmonia and Concerto Grosso 1&2 on Mercury with Howard Hanson with his Eastman-Rochester Symphony.
Those are fine discs Lol. This was one of my earliest and happiest Bloch discoveries (taken out the record library on LP).
It's recently been reissued by Alto very cheaply I think:

If the image doesn't appear it's the 'Israel Symphony, and 'Schelomo' performed by Zara Nelsova and the Utah SO with that fine conductor Maurice Abravanel on the Vanguard label.

Daverz

Quote from: Irons on February 16, 2020, 05:46:44 AM

I'll put in a vote for Elmar Oliveira.  The coupled Lees concerto is also fantastic.

[asin]B0015X6QYU[/asin]

vandermolen

Quote from: Daverz on February 16, 2020, 01:51:43 PM
I'll put in a vote for Elmar Oliveira.  The coupled Lees concerto is also fantastic.

[asin]B0015X6QYU[/asin]
+1

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on February 16, 2020, 08:56:57 AM
Those are fine discs Lol. This was one of my earliest and happiest Bloch discoveries (taken out the record library on LP).
It's recently been reissued by Alto very cheaply I think:

If the image doesn't appear it's the 'Israel Symphony, and 'Schelomo' performed by Zara Nelsova and the Utah SO with that fine conductor Maurice Abravanel on the Vanguard label.

I do have that one, Jeffrey. A WRC LP issue, also on WRC and untypical of the label along with Schoenberg and Berg, Bloch's Four Episodes for Chamber Orchestra. I have no memory of the piece, do you know it? Checking out my shelves I have two recordings of violin sonatas. I listened to the Stern CBS issue recently and found the recording uncomfortably close and harsh.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on February 17, 2020, 12:28:21 AM
I do have that one, Jeffrey. A WRC LP issue, also on WRC and untypical of the label along with Schoenberg and Berg, Bloch's Four Episodes for Chamber Orchestra. I have no memory of the piece, do you know it? Checking out my shelves I have two recordings of violin sonatas. I listened to the Stern CBS issue recently and found the recording uncomfortably close and harsh.
I have it on this release Lol. I recall enjoying it but can't remember too much about it now.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on February 17, 2020, 01:42:14 PM
I have it on this release Lol. I recall enjoying it but can't remember too much about it now.

One, or both of us had better play it then.  ;)

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on February 17, 2020, 11:20:57 PM
One, or both of us had better play it then.  ;)
I need to find it first  ::)

vandermolen

From WAYLTN thread.
A marvellous recording and deeply felt performance of the VC:

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on February 20, 2020, 02:49:14 AM
From WAYLTN thread.
A marvellous recording and deeply felt performance of the VC:

Sorry Jeffrey you are costing me a fortune. It has to stop! ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on February 20, 2020, 06:15:29 AM
Sorry Jeffrey you are costing me a fortune. It has to stop! ;D
Well, as you've just sold one LP for £7,000 or whatever it was I reckon that you can afford it Lol  8)
Seriously, I don't think that you'll regret it.

PS you need to have 'Trois Poemes Juifs' as well  ;D

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on February 20, 2020, 06:52:44 AM
Well, as you've just sold one LP for £7,000 or whatever it was I reckon that you can afford it Lol  8)
Seriously, I don't think that you'll regret it.

PS you need to have 'Trois Poemes Juifs' as well  ;D

Oh, already spent that on a cartridge.

I have taken note.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on February 21, 2020, 12:34:44 AM
Oh, already spent that on a cartridge.

I have taken note.

You obviously have a different system to mine  8)