Ernest Bloch (1880-1959)

Started by vandermolen, April 19, 2007, 04:40:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 05, 2020, 11:02:44 PM
Those are amongst my favourites too John. Do you know the epic First SQ? It really is quite something. My other favourite is the early Symphony in C and 'Voice in the Wilderness' which I tend to play more often than the more famous 'Schelomo', good as that is. Oh, and I mustn't forget the 'Israel Symphony' which alerted me to Bloch in the first place.

Yes, I do like the Israel Symphony as well. I need to get more familiar with Bloch's oeuvre in general. I don't know any of his SQs. Voice in the Wilderness is an excellent work the best I can remember. I also liked the Violin Concerto, which I forgot to mention previously.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 05, 2020, 04:40:48 PM
This CD is exceptionally good:

I was listening to Four Episodes the other day by following the comments here. Don't recall if I had heard it before. Anyway, this was something else. Bloch at his most colourful and lyric. I liked it a lot.

I think I remember Four Episodes as it came from this recording which I had bought ages ago:

Mirror Image

Listening to Bloch's outstanding Piano Quintets today and I'm rather looking forward to reacquainting myself with wonderful composer. It seems there are three stylistic strands within Bloch's music: the Jewish inspired works, the Impressionist and Neoclassicist. I suppose you could add in a fourth one, which would be what make up his symphonies and the Concerto symphonique and works of this nature. I'm not sure what you would call this style: Neo-Romanticism?

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 25, 2020, 01:02:55 PM
Listening to Bloch's outstanding Piano Quintets today and I'm rather looking forward to reacquainting myself with wonderful composer. It seems there are three stylistic strands within Bloch's music: the Jewish inspired works, the Impressionist and Neoclassicist. I suppose you could add in a fourth one, which would be what make up his symphonies and the Concerto symphonique and works of this nature. I'm not sure what you would call this style: Neo-Romanticism?

I think that your definitions of Bloch's musical language makes good sense to me. I like 'Neo-Romanticism' for the epic 'Concerto Symphoniique'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 26, 2020, 06:53:32 PM
I think that your definitions of Bloch's musical language makes good sense to me. I like 'Neo-Romanticism' for the epic 'Concerto Symphoniique'.

Kudos, Jeffrey. That is a work I need to revisit (e. g. the Concerto symphonique). I have the Jenny Lin recording on Hänssler. I think there has been another performance of it on some more obscure label (maybe with David Amos on Laurel Records?), but now that I think about it, I think there's another performance of it on Chandos.

classicalgeek

I just got done a "deep dive" into the music of Charles Ives, and what a rewarding experience it was! He went from someone whose music I was aware of, but not familiar with, to someone whose music and style I really appreciate and enjoy. I want to do a series of such explorations - and next up for me is Ernest Bloch. I know Schelomo, of course, but beyond that? I'm embarrassed to admit I've heard little else. :(

So, dear Blochians (Blochites? Blochheads? ;D), where do I start? I'd like to listen to some of his orchestral music, but anything is fair game.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Jo498

Piano quintets, especially the first one. Easiest to find probably Goldner Q./Lane (Hyperion). Admittedly, I am not sure I have heard any of his orchestral music except "Schelomo".
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mountain Goat

Quote from: classicalgeek on February 03, 2022, 08:17:01 AM
So, dear Blochians (Blochites? Blochheads? ;D), where do I start? I'd like to listen to some of his orchestral music, but anything is fair game.

Sadly I have not heard much by him so can't (yet) claim to be a "Blochhead" (something to remedy soon I think!), but I do have this CD of the 2 violin sonatas which I very much enjoy:

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mountain Goat on February 03, 2022, 09:28:32 AM
Sadly I have not heard much by him so can't (yet) claim to be a "Blochhead"

Nicely done!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mountain Goat

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 03, 2022, 09:29:55 AM
Nicely done!

If you're referring to my use of "Blochhead", I must in all fairness point out that it was classicalgeek who came up with it, much as I wish I could claim credit for it  :laugh: Let's hope it becomes recognised as the official term!

classicalgeek

Quote from: Jo498 on February 03, 2022, 08:26:56 AM
Piano quintets, especially the first one. Easiest to find probably Goldner Q./Lane (Hyperion). Admittedly, I am not sure I have heard any of his orchestral music except "Schelomo".

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 03, 2022, 08:43:14 AM
The Sinfonia breve.

Quote from: Mountain Goat on February 03, 2022, 09:28:32 AM
Sadly I have not heard much by him so can't (yet) claim to be a "Blochhead" (something to remedy soon I think!), but I do have this CD of the 2 violin sonatas which I very much enjoy:

Thank you for the suggestions, everyone! Listened already to the Sinfonia Breve, and what a work it is! Full of gnarly dissonance, but also lyrical and melodic. A fascinating piece. Next I'll try the First Piano Quintet - unfortunately Hyperion isn't on Spotify, but I did find a recording on the Musiques Suisses label. I'll try to find the violin sonatas on there as well.

classicalgeek

Quote from: Mountain Goat on February 03, 2022, 09:44:00 AM
If you're referring to my use of "Blochhead", I must in all fairness point out that it was classicalgeek who came up with it, much as I wish I could claim credit for it  :laugh: Let's hope it becomes recognised as the official term!

Surely someone must have thought of it already? ;D

I see there are some listening suggestions from when this thread was last active... I'll look at those too.

Spotted Horses

I would say this is my favorite Bloch CD, with Jenny Lin

It contains the Concerto Grosso No 1, perhaps Bloch's more famous piece. The Concerto Symphonique and Scherzo Fantasique are virtuoso pieces for piano and orchestra, and Jenny Lin is impressive.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

classicalgeek

Quote from: Spotted Horses on February 03, 2022, 10:12:39 AM
I would say this is my favorite Bloch CD, with Jenny Lin

It contains the Concerto Grosso No 1, perhaps Bloch's more famous piece. The Concerto Symphonique and Scherzo Fantasique are virtuoso pieces for piano and orchestra, and Jenny Lin is impressive.

Yes, I saw that disc on Spotify! I've added it to my queue.

vandermolen

Quote from: classicalgeek on February 03, 2022, 08:17:01 AM
I just got done a "deep dive" into the music of Charles Ives, and what a rewarding experience it was! He went from someone whose music I was aware of, but not familiar with, to someone whose music and style I really appreciate and enjoy. I want to do a series of such explorations - and next up for me is Ernest Bloch. I know Schelomo, of course, but beyond that? I'm embarrassed to admit I've heard little else. :(

This would be a good starting place. The Sacred Service is like the choral music of Vaughan Williams - I find it very moving:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

classicalgeek

Quote from: vandermolen on February 03, 2022, 10:47:23 AM
This would be a good starting place. The Sacred Service is like the choral music of Vaughan Williams - I find it very moving:

Thanks, Jeffrey - I was aware of the Sacred Service but I don't know the piece. I don't see the EMI recording on Spotify, but I do see a Chandos recording conducted by Geoffrey Simon. I'll add it to my listening queue.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mountain Goat on February 03, 2022, 09:44:00 AM

Not sure why I missed it earlier. Consider the praise for "Blochhead" suitably trandferred to our classicalgeek's shoulders!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

classicalgeek

Quote from: vandermolen on February 03, 2022, 10:47:23 AM

Just listened to the Sacred Service on the Chandos recording - just lovely! Vaughan Williams is a really apt comparison.

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 03, 2022, 05:02:32 PM
Not sure why I missed it earlier. Consider the praise for "Blochhead" suitably trandferred to our classicalgeek's shoulders!

Well, thank you! ;D

Symphonic Addict

For the string quartets 1-4, this set is mandatory:

It's in excellent mono. This has to be the most rigurous performance of the massive 1st SQ. I mean, the players' stamina must is tested from start to finish.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky