0 (0%)
Other (specify)
3 (16.7%)
I don't care for Pink Floyd
6 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: July 03, 2023, 05:19:02 AM

drogulus

The Pompeii film features a fine performance of Echoes, perhaps their finest single work. At the album level I would choose Animals.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Karl Henning

Quote from: drogulus on June 24, 2023, 07:13:20 PMThe Pompeii film features a fine performance of Echoes, perhaps their finest single work. At the album level I would choose Animals.
FWIW, Animals just never grabbed me. The ironic thing perhaps being that it was the first Floyd album ever I heard.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: T. D. on June 19, 2023, 06:20:43 PMIt's good (I like all of the early releases more than any of the titles listed as poll candidates), but not at the top of my list. That said, I'll now go and listen to If...

I like this song written by Richard Wright.

LKB

AFAIK, I'm not familiar with anything from Pink Floyd ( or most other bands from the '70's or later ).

Any suggestions for a " newbie "?
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: LKB on June 24, 2023, 09:47:11 PMAFAIK, I'm not familiar with anything from Pink Floyd ( or most other bands from the '70's or later ).

Any suggestions for a " newbie "?

For a newbie, the ideal place to start is The Dark Side Of The Moon (1973), their biggest-selling album:

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Karl Henning on June 19, 2023, 03:46:19 PMI love the monaural remaster.

Yes, the mono edition arguably sounds better. I like this song.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on June 24, 2023, 10:27:37 PMFor a newbie, the ideal place to start is The Dark Side Of The Moon (1973), their biggest-selling album:

It's more than a decade since I listened to this, so I'm in, too.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

See Emily Play, 2nd single. This was in the Piper AGD issued in Japan, but not in the UK (or USA I assume).
Because of this song I started playing (touching) guitar. I was around 10 yo.

T. D.

Slightly off-topic, but if you enjoy (difficult) British cryptic crosswords:

Guardian Genius #241

Holden

Quote from: T. D. on July 04, 2023, 02:55:04 PMSlightly off-topic, but if you enjoy (difficult) British cryptic crosswords:

Guardian Genius #241

The Guardian Cryptic which I attempt reasonably regularly is hard enough without having no clue numbers.
Cheers

Holden

T. D.

Quote from: Holden on July 04, 2023, 11:39:39 PMThe Guardian Cryptic which I attempt reasonably regularly is hard enough without having no clue numbers.

This one is rather accessible for a Guardian "Genius".

Since no one here is likely to care, I don't mind giving spoilers:  :P

The theme of the puzzle is Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon, the filled grid includes a Nina spelling out the album title, and the omitted words, listed per the preamble, form a string of the song titles from the album.

Franco_Manitobain

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 19, 2023, 05:50:58 PMSo far, nobody has mentioned Atom Heart Mother.

This is my choice. I love Atom Heart Mother.

SimonNZ

Quote from: T. D. on July 05, 2023, 07:03:15 AMThis one is rather accessible for a Guardian "Genius".

Since no one here is likely to care, I don't mind giving spoilers:  :P

The theme of the puzzle is Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon, the filled grid includes a Nina spelling out the album title, and the omitted words, listed per the preamble, form a string of the song titles from the album.

Heh. I still can't get any of the answers. And I know Dark Side Of The Moon well.

But then I always find the nonsensical wording of "cryptic" crosswords off-putting, so I've never tried hard to get into the mindset of them.

What are some of the answers there?

T. D.

Quote from: SimonNZ on July 05, 2023, 04:04:28 PMHeh. I still can't get any of the answers. And I know Dark Side Of The Moon well.

But then I always find the nonsensical wording of "cryptic" crosswords off-putting, so I've never tried hard to get into the mindset of them.

What are some of the answers there?

Cryptic crossword solving is an acquired skill...I've misspent sufficient time to acquire some proficiency, not necessarily something to be proud of... :blank:

The first ten solutions (with the omitted words in paren) from the left column:

ADDER (US)
AFTERLIFE (THE)
ASCENDENT (SKY)
ASTHMA (BRAIN)
BOUND (ECLIPSE)
CANON (IN)
CEREBELLA (THE)
DARKENED (THEM)
DEPICT (IN)
DISCARDS (SPEAK)

Note per preamble that clues are in alpha order of solutions, and that to get the full song titles the omitted words must be listed in grid order.

The above should be sufficient to illustrate some of the ideas.

SimonNZ

Thanks...though going back and forth between answers and clues I'm still shaking my head.

T. D.

Quote from: SimonNZ on July 05, 2023, 04:37:59 PMThanks...though going back and forth between answers and clues I'm still shaking my head.

A couple of easy ones:

CANON parses as NO (negative response)inserted into CAN (is able); Definition is "Law" (In-law with In omitted)

CEREBELLA is a "hidden" in crossword lingo: definition "Coordinators of voluntary movement", parses as finanCE (The omitted) REBEL LAndowners partly.

Karl Henning

Quote from: T. D. on July 05, 2023, 04:43:53 PMA couple of easy ones:

CANON parses as NO (negative response)inserted into CAN (is able); Definition is "Law" (In-law with In omitted)

CEREBELLA is a "hidden" in crossword lingo: definition "Coordinators of voluntary movement", parses as finanCE (The omitted) REBEL LAndowners partly.
That's decidedly outside my skills set.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

T. D.

Quote from: Karl Henning on July 06, 2023, 06:39:36 AMThat's decidedly outside my skills set.

Pretty much everyone finds UK cryptic crosswords impossible on their first encounters.
Takes months (or more) of practice to get proficient on the dailies.
A relatively quick way to learn is by following the solver blog fifteensquared.net, which gives annotated solutions to many puzzles (daily and special).

Specials like Guardian "Genius" are far more difficult. I rarely attempt them because they take too much time. This was an exception because people posted on a discussion forum (without further spoilers) that it was particularly good.