Where to download specific scores

Started by greg, April 19, 2007, 06:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

this has to be the best free sheet music site on the web!
i'm pretty sure i visited awhile back to get a bunch of Shostakovich, but a few days ago i took the link from Schoenberg's wiki page and "rediscovered" the site and man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

some of the best ones i got were:
Bartok- 1st Piano Concerto
Schoenberg- Piano Concerto, Transfigured Night, Pierrot Lunaire
Ives- Concord Sonata
Scriabin- Prometheus
Mahler- 8th Symphony (though it looks like just the 1st movement)

but it looks like they took all of Shosty's stuff down

imslp.org

lukeottevanger

Yes, I was there yesterday downloading literally hundreds of things 8). Apart from anything else they have some wonderful bits and pieces by more hard-to-find but great composers such as Enescu. But as you say, it's important with these places to check back regularly - they update often (most of that Schoenberg is fairly new for instance) but take things down often too. They had a lot of Poulenc piano music recently; it's all gone now. Likewise with many other sites I frequent.

Guido

Occasionally things are uploaded which contravene copyright law but are not taken down. There was some Ligeti there for a while!

EDIT: my goodness - they have Ives on there. Given that it wasn't published until relatively recently, I can imagine that wont be up for long - his scores are expensive too! (Unanswered question is £25!)
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Maciek

Also check out this thread on the old forum: Online music scores stores. This and other sites were mentioned there.

Maciek

lukeottevanger

I suppose this is the right thread to say that I'm listening to the Respighi Violin Sonata (Mutter/Orkis) right now with my freshly downloaded score in front of me. It's hard to reconcile this rhythmically-complex and subtle Respighi, who seems to have been listening to a lot of Brahms with that of the better-known pieces. This is the first score I've seen of his outside those orchestral showpieces and it's quite a revelation to see his working. Impressed. Interested to see quite how far Mutter stretches this rhythmically-difficult score, mind you, but it's all quite tasteful, and it was a live recording...

greg

Quote from: lukeottevanger on April 19, 2007, 07:54:32 AM
Yes, I was there yesterday downloading literally hundreds of things 8). Apart from anything else they have some wonderful bits and pieces by more hard-to-find but great composers such as Enescu. But as you say, it's important with these places to check back regularly - they update often (most of that Schoenberg is fairly new for instance) but take things down often too. They had a lot of Poulenc piano music recently; it's all gone now. Likewise with many other sites I frequent.
really? thanks for telling me! i'll make sure to check back often

[quote author = Guido]Occasionally things are uploaded which contravene copyright law but are not taken down. There was some Ligeti there for a while!

EDIT: my godness - they have Ives on there. Given that it was;t published until relatively recently, I can imagine that wont be up for long - his scores are expensive too! (Unanswered question is £25!)[/quote]
wow...... that's sweet, hopefully i can snag an expensive modern score
lol, my godness- that's a good one, i've gotta use that sometime  ;D

Guido

I always make the same typing mistakes which is embarrassing especially using ; instead of ' which is particularly jarring on the eye... Some of the keys on my keyboard are oddly unresponsive though, and I am typing on a laptop keyboard, which is awkward at the best of times...
Geologist.

greg

Quote from: Guido on April 20, 2007, 08:26:01 AM
I always make the same typing mistakes which is embarrassing especially using ; instead of ' which is particularly jarring on the eye... Some of the keys on my keyboard are oddly unresponsive though, and I am typing on a laptop keyboard, which is awkward at the best of times...
so that's an explanation for that "oh my godness?"  ;D
(looks like you need to replace that o key)

on a side note, if anyone finds anything new on there, just update the thread please just to make sure i don't miss anything  ;)

Guido

Well I just uploaded the Ysaye violin Sonatas, but I don't know what you're interested in...
Geologist.

greg

Quote from: Guido on April 21, 2007, 02:09:48 AM
Well I just uploaded the Ysaye violin Sonatas, but I don't know what you're interested in...
hm, anything modern like Ligeti, Penderecki, Xenakis, Boulez (which really isn't supposed to be on there in the first place  ;D ) or semi-modern like the 2nd Viennese. Also, anything by Prokofiev or Mahler- so yeah, if you find anything like this, i'd appreciate if you or anyone else updates the thread.

i've never heard Ysaye's music before though  :-\

greg

oh wait, forget that- i just found a page that has recent updates so i can find anything new myself, and easily  8)

Guido

Excellent. Yes none of those composers will get scores up on that website for many years. Actually, Prokofiev is out of copyright in Canada...
Geologist.

greg

new: Shostakovich 5th on IMSLP!

(but it's 26 megabytes and it sorta locks up, so i'm having a hard time saving it)

lukeottevanger

Funny, I was checking out their new stuff today too. They've got quite a lot since I last checked a couple of weeks ago - today I concentratedon Ravel. They already had some real gems up there (the Piano Trio, the Duo Sonata, the Violin Sonata...) but they've added most of his songs recently, including the two cycles with ensemble which are among my very favourite Ravel works. Fantastic!

The Mad Hatter

I don't touch anything that *might* be inside copyright, just in case.

Still, an astonishing resource.

greg

%$#@%$#@%$#@%$#@%$@#^%$#^%$#^%$#

i feel like smashing the computer screen

i have 25.7/26 megabytes of the Shosty 5th score saved, and it freezes up. I go back, and the score is taken off. yay.... it does help to hang around there looking for scores scores that come and go like this, especially when the browser freezes up on you at the last moment (oh, actually i tried saving it 4 or 5 different times and all it did was freeze up)

Maciek

Greg, you should try using a download manager. 0:)

lukeottevanger

Yes, you should - I have literally hundreds of files waiting to download from IMSLP on mine, as well as the hundreds already downloaded. So I'm gradually getting scores all the time  8)

greg

Quote from: MrOsa on May 28, 2007, 04:11:24 PM
Greg, you should try using a download manager. 0:)
oh, you mean like GetRight? I have that, though i don't use it for IMSLP scores. I've gotten pretty much all the ones i want from there, so i just wait for new gems to be uploaded.

greg

does anyone know a quick way of finding out what was recently added (but is not on the recently added list)? They add so many scores a day that the list doesn't show all of them added since the time you check a day ago.

I do know one way, which is to type in the IMSLP# and do a search, but there's too many to search. I can't find a list that shows all the contributions in IMSLP# order.