Where to download specific scores

Started by greg, April 19, 2007, 06:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lukeottevanger

New wonders at IMSLP, as found tonight - yippee!

Amongst other delights, run, don't walk, to snap up more Enescu scores including the 2nd SQ, the Piano Quintet, the Dixtuor, the Impressions d'enfance and, at last, the 3rd Violin Sonata  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Maciek will be happy to see a few Zarebski scores putting in an appearance.

There's been a big influx of Satie pieces including, wondrously, the manuscript of Spprts et divertissements - for those who haven't seen it, it is one of the wonders of musical calligraphy, like Cage's score amongst other.

One happy score-seeker....

Maciek

Thanks for the heads up! And right you are - I'm downloading those Zarebski scores as I write this! I only had a Polonaise and the breathtaking Berceuse until know (never got to buying the Quintet score while it was still cheap... :().

Les Roses et les épines op.13? Wow, that's supposed to be Zarebski's masterpiece - the cycle that is the reason for the comparisons to Debussy. Here's a chance to find out... :D

Thanks again, Luke!

lukeottevanger

...and this one:

http://www.bh2000.net/score/

has a good collection of works by the bigger names - lots of Mozart and Beethoven chamber music, complete piano music of Schubert, Schumann, Brahms etc (I mean complete, down to unfinished works, fragments etc), most of the orchestral work of Tchaikovsky (including the more obscure symphonic poems - though not Fatum - the Suites, Manfred, all three Piano Concerti and so on) and much more too.

lukeottevanger

Thanks for the link, btw, Maciek. I've seen that site before, but not for a while - at least, I don't remember there being so much there.  :o  Another fantastic resource. I've just found, to my delight, the sheet music of the piano sonata and preludes by Pasternak - yes, that Pasternak. I've had a CD of them for years, but the scores have eluded me till now! :)

greg

so there's no way of being able to keep track of recent additions beyond the list they have on the front page? (besides looking through tons of composers over and over again)

Maciek

The best way to keep track is to ask Luke for regular updates. He seems to be keeping the entire contents list of that site in his head. ;)

greg

lol!

Ok, Luke (when you read this), just tell me what's new. You know what I like, right? Okay.... these are some of the scores I'm looking for:

Bartok- Concerto for Orchestra (the rest of it!)
Anything by Prokofiev, Schoenberg, Webern, Berg, Shostakovich or Stravinsky
Respighi- Fountains of Rome (orchestrated)
R.Strauss- any tone poem for orchestra
Mahler- sym 2, 7, or 10 (orchestral scores) 10 might be copyright, though

and that's all i can think of for now

lukeottevanger

Quote from: greg on June 27, 2007, 05:37:44 AM
lol!

Ok, Luke (when you read this), just tell me what's new. You know what I like, right? Okay.... these are some of the scores I'm looking for:

Bartok- Concerto for Orchestra (the rest of it!)
Anything by Prokofiev, Schoenberg, Webern, Berg, Shostakovich or Stravinsky
Respighi- Fountains of Rome (orchestrated)
Mahler- sym 2, 7, or 10 (orchestral scores) 10 might be copyright, though

and that's all i can think of for now

Don Juan is on the site Maciek linked to earlier...Macbeth is somewhere around on the net, though I can't remember where I got it from...

Alternatively, come round my house and we can make copies of most of these pieces (I don't think an 8000 mile round trip is too far for Mahler 10, do you?). I don't have much Prokofiev, but I have plenty/all of the others you mention. ;D

greg

Quote from: lukeottevanger on June 27, 2007, 06:12:00 AM
Don Juan is on the site Maciek linked to earlier...Macbeth is somewhere around on the net, though I can't remember where I got it from...
you mean the full orchestral score? i can't find it on any of the sites he linked to

Quote from: lukeottevanger on June 27, 2007, 06:12:00 AM
Alternatively, come round my house and we can make copies of most of these pieces (I don't think an 8000 mile round trip is too far for Mahler 10, do you?). I don't have much Prokofiev, but I have plenty/all of the others you mention. ;D
lol, sounds pretty far! nah, i think i'll wait until my birthday  ;D

Guido

Schulhoff stuff up. Copyright in question so save quickly!
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

lukeottevanger

Quote from: greg on June 27, 2007, 06:31:55 AM
you mean the full orchestral score? i can't find it on any of the sites he linked to

Well, I thought I'd found it, but it may not be. I haven't downloaded it yet

Quote from: greg on June 27, 2007, 06:31:55 AM
lol, sounds pretty far! nah, i think i'll wait until my birthday  ;D

And there I was thinking you liked Mahler....

lukeottevanger

Don't know about you, but when I read those copyright notices on IMSLP, I can't resist an instinctive shudder when I read the phrase 'except in....where the term is life + 50 years.' Always seems a rather extreme prison sentence for this particular crime at first...until I turn my brain on!  ;D

The Mad Hatter

Quote from: lukeottevanger on June 27, 2007, 09:08:36 AM
Don't know about you, but when I read those copyright notices on IMSLP, I can't resist an instinctive shudder when I read the phrase 'except in....where the term is life + 50 years.' Always seems a rather extreme prison sentence for this particular crime at first...until I turn my brain on!  ;D

My brain isn't on...can you explain to me why it's not extreme?

greg

Quote from: lukeottevanger on June 27, 2007, 09:08:36 AM
'except in....where the term is life + 50 years.'
yeah, that'd be sad to see a corpse that's been dead for 50 years in a prison cell

greg

"what did that guy do to deserve THAT?"

"he downloaded sheet music that wasn't in public domain from the internet".

Maciek

Quote from: greg on June 27, 2007, 05:37:44 AM

They do have a few on IMSLP - just check, not all of them are reductions. E.g.: Also sprach Zarathustra and Macbeth. Perhaps that's about all... ::)

BTW, it's about time you changed the title of this thread to something like "where to download specific scores" or "new scores available for download on old sites" ;).

Maciek

Oh, and BTW (how many posts in a row does it take to make one look utterly stupid?), I once asked about Smetana piano pieces - there's a bunch of them on IMSLP now, I've found them finally. So here's a new question: does anyone know a place where I can get (download) the Kempff transcription of Bach's Siciliano/Sicilienne (from the Flute Sonata IRRC)?

Guido

Where are these Schnittke scores?

Haven't checked my college email for a while now... Am doing it as we speak - I have not frgotten about the religion one.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

greg

Quote from: Maciek on June 27, 2007, 02:33:23 PM
They do have a few on IMSLP - just check, not all of them are reductions. E.g.: Also sprach Zarathustra and Macbeth. Perhaps that's about all... ::)
i just checked- thanks for pointing those out! Also Sprach Zarathustra was just added June 19, 9 days ago. I checked before and didn't see it. They do have Macbeth, too, but also Salome. The others are just piano reductions. Hopefully they'll get the complete scores to Don Juan and Death and Transfiguration.

BTW, it's about time you changed the title of this thread to something like "where to download specific scores" or "new scores available for download on old sites" ;).
is it possible to change it from the "beginning"? (make it display that when you see the thread names listed)

And this might be a good place to thank you for the link to that amazing Russian site with all those Schnittke and Shostakovich downloads! Thanks a bunch - that place is a gold mine. They have some Kancheli, Taktashvili, and even a piece by Takemitsu! I wonder what I'll find next!
there was another place with another piece by Takemitsu, also a Russian site. The piece they had was Voice, for flute. It's cool because it's a solo flute piece with speaking, multiphonics, bends, etc. I'll try to find it if i can.

Maciek

Quote from: greg on June 28, 2007, 05:50:31 AM
is it possible to change it from the "beginning"? (make it display that when you see the thread names listed)

You have to modify the first post - change its title.