Mikalojus Konstantinas Ciurlionis

Started by Maciek, October 24, 2007, 12:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maciek

Mikalojus Konstantinas Čiurlionis, Lithuanian composer and painter.

Well, you tell me. I don't have much to say.

Any favorite pieces/recordings etc.?

vandermolen

Quote from: Maciek on October 24, 2007, 12:08:12 PM

Mikalojus Konstantinas Čiurlionis, Lithuanian composer and painter.

Well, you tell me. I don't have much to say.

Any favorite pieces/recordings etc.?

The Sea (Marco Polo)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Black Knight

Quote from: vandermolen on October 24, 2007, 12:31:33 PM
The Sea (Marco Polo)

Marco Polo?  ???

Anyway, screw the famous (in Lithuania) orchestral works, his genius shines through his piano works. Shame he died so young  :(

Maciek

Yes, the famous symphonic poem about Marco Polo's sea travels... ;D

(Actually, thanks for the hint, vandermolen - I think I do need an alternative recording to the one I've already got.

BTW, I saw a nice 4CD box of essential Ciurlionis when I was in Vilnius - but unfortunately didn't pick it up. Maybe next time...)

snyprrr

I just saw his SQ music on that Russian Mobile Fidelity label, on ebay, but couldn't get to it in time. There have been no actual descriptions of his style here.

Maciek

I do have his SQs on an LP and remember enjoying them the most of his output. I wonder if I'd still feel the same today... (Turntable doesn't work at the moment.)

vandermolen

I greatly enjoyed a recent release featuring Evgeny Svetlanov conducting Ciurlionis's 'The Sea' with Debussy's famous score and Glazunov's 'The Sea' - recordings from 1971-1993.

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: vandermolen on June 03, 2009, 12:19:14 PM
I greatly enjoyed a recent release featuring Evgeny Svetlanov conducting Ciurlionis's 'The Sea' with Debussy's famous score and Glazunov's 'The Sea' - recordings from 1971-1993.
I'm still enjoying the above CD  :)
Ciurlionis's 'The Sea' is a great, late-Romantic atmospheric tone-poem if, like me, you wallow in such material. It reminds me of the orchestral music of Viteslav Novak, who is one of my favourite composers.
I've just discovered this release from 2012 which looks good:

[asin]B008C3AT12[/asin]
He was also a talented artist and you can buy yourself a tea/coffee mug featuring one of his impressive paintings. Imagine that! You can sip tea or coffee from a Ciurlionis-themed mug (on Amazon) whilst listening to his masterpiece 'The Sea' - a complete Ciurlionis experience!  :)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mikalojus-Konstantinas-Ciurlionis-Friendship-Designer/dp/B00ZG20O5S/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1444382585&sr=8-7&keywords=Ciurlionis

vandermolen

Angelos_05

Yes... Yes... And a review of the disc
http://www.audaud.com/2012/12/ciurlionis-in-the-forest-the-sea-de-profundis-lithuanian-national-sym-orch-and-kaunas-state-choirjuozas-domarkas-cond-northern-flowers/

Absolutely..... Northern Flowers is for lovers of Russian and Soviet Composers.
But I don't see any Gliere orchestral power coming out from that label....

vandermolen

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on October 09, 2015, 01:04:55 AM
I'm still enjoying the above CD  :)
Ciurlionis's 'The Sea' is a great, late-Romantic atmospheric tone-poem if, like me, you wallow in such material. It reminds me of the orchestral music of Viteslav Novak, who is one of my favourite composers.
I've just discovered this release from 2012 which looks good:

[asin]B008C3AT12[/asin]
He was also a talented artist and you can buy yourself a tea/coffee mug featuring one of his impressive paintings. Imagine that! You can sip tea or coffee from a Ciurlionis-themed mug (on Amazon) whilst listening to his masterpiece 'The Sea' - a complete Ciurlionis experience!  :)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mikalojus-Konstantinas-Ciurlionis-Friendship-Designer/dp/B00ZG20O5S/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1444382585&sr=8-7&keywords=Ciurlionis
I was able to get ahold of this CD and so far listened to "In the Forest" (symphonic poem from 1901).  Enjoyable!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 23, 2020, 11:18:36 AM
I was able to get ahold of this CD and so far listened to "In the Forest" (symphonic poem from 1901).  Enjoyable!

PD

You should try 'The Sea' PD - his masterpiece I believe. Tragic that he died so young. Recently I've been enjoying this CD:

André

Quote from: vandermolen on November 23, 2020, 11:59:51 AM
You should try 'The Sea' PD - his masterpiece I believe. Tragic that he died so young. Recently I've been enjoying this CD:

Greatly impressed by this disc - thanks for your advocacy, Jeffrey ! The Sea is indeed a mightily impressive score.

And yes, his paintings deserve to rank with the most original of their time.

vandermolen

Quote from: André on January 20, 2022, 04:35:39 PM
Greatly impressed by this disc - thanks for your advocacy, Jeffrey ! The Sea is indeed a mightily impressive score.

And yes, his paintings deserve to rank with the most original of their time.

Great to know André. The sister-in-law of my old school friend is Lithuanian. At a social function, a while back, she seemed so pleased that, not only had I heard of Ciurlionis, but that I admired his music. Next time I saw her she presented me with a massive book of his paintings!

MusicTurner

Agree, The Sea is his best work, and recordings vary as regards representing the 'pictures' in it.