Rage Arias?

Started by Mozart, October 24, 2007, 05:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mozart

What are the best angry sounding arias? Like D'oreste D'aiace or Armatae Face et Aguibus?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: HandelHooligan on October 24, 2007, 05:17:26 PM
What are the best angry sounding arias? Like D'oreste D'aiace or Armatae Face et Aguibus?

Well, I know that you are a Händellian, not a Mozartian, but I would still recommend "Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen" (The Queen of the Night's Aria) from Der Zauberflöte as one of the best examples of pure rage going. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing: Dvorak Op 059 - Mattheis / Köhn - Dvorak Legends for Piano 4 Hands Op 59 #04 in C
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Mozart

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 24, 2007, 05:30:15 PM
Well, I know that you are a Händellian, not a Mozartian, but I would still recommend "Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen" (The Queen of the Night's Aria) from Der Zauberflöte as one of the best examples of pure rage going. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing: Dvorak Op 059 - Mattheis / Köhn - Dvorak Legends for Piano 4 Hands Op 59 #04 in C

Nice joke Gurn ;D

That Eine Kleine Nachtmusik by that same guy also seems to be a good work ;)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: HandelHooligan on October 24, 2007, 05:32:35 PM
Nice joke Gurn ;D

That Eine Kleine Nachtmusik by that same guy also seems to be a good work ;)

Oh yes, these are just the words to go with it. The contrast between the rage in the words and the Rococo lightness of the minuet is what really sets it all off. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing: Dvorak Op 059 - Mattheis / Köhn - Dvorak Legends for Piano 4 Hands Op 59 #10 in bb

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Mozart

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 24, 2007, 05:56:56 PM
Oh yes, these are just the words to go with it. The contrast between the rage in the words and the Rococo lightness of the minuet is what really sets it all off. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing: Dvorak Op 059 - Mattheis / Köhn - Dvorak Legends for Piano 4 Hands Op 59 #10 in bb

Yes, its quite unfortunate that its already been arranged into the opera "The Magical Fruit" on the Simpsons or else that would be the new craze!

Beans oh beans delicious in your mouth
but watch out when beans come out down south!

I think we have a new gmg record by the way :) 3rd post and we are already off topic :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: HandelHooligan on October 24, 2007, 06:08:37 PM
Yes, its quite unfortunate that its already been arranged into the opera "The Magical Fruit" on the Simpsons or else that would be the new craze!

Beans oh beans delicious in your mouth
but watch out when beans come out down south!

I think we have a new gmg record by the way :) 3rd post and we are already off topic :)

;D

I won't be really impressed until someone goes OT in the original post. :D

(I bet Saul could do it)

8)

----------------
Now playing: Schumann: Fantasie in C Op17 - Maurizio Pollini - Schumann Op 17 Fantasia in C for Piano pt 1 - Durchaus phantastisch und leidenschaftlich vorzutragen (Obolen auf Beethovens Monument) -

Mozart

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 24, 2007, 06:18:49 PM
;D

I won't be really impressed until someone goes OT in the original post. :D

(I bet Saul could do it)

8)

----------------
Now playing: Schumann: Fantasie in C Op17 - Maurizio Pollini - Schumann Op 17 Fantasia in C for Piano pt 1 - Durchaus phantastisch und leidenschaftlich vorzutragen (Obolen auf Beethovens Monument) -

Handel can do that!!! I'm not sure just where yet but one of his 50,000 oratorios must have a rage aria :)

If not, we are counting on you Saul, Buddy :D

Lilas Pastia

Another Mozart aria that would fit in nicely: Martern aller Arten. Constanze vows to be steadfast under "tutte le torture". Sounds mawkish? Wait 'till you hear the lass hurling imprecations around!

Or try yet another wolfgangian triumph, from Le Nozze di Figaro: there's a bona fide vengeance aria (Bartolo's La vendetta!). This Youtube video showcases bass John Tomlinson, and quite good it is!

max

...the one's I sing on the highway using a libretto of 4 letter words. Fortunately none of them have been recorded.

But seriously, Abscheulicher! Wo eilst du hin? from Beethoven's Fidelio would I think be an excellent candidate. After all! the man more than most was in a steady state of being pissed-off.

Another example and probably a better one would be "Or sai chi l'onore" from Mozart's Don Giovanni, certainly one of the greatest female rage arias in the repertoire.

Lilas Pastia

Yes! Or sai chi l'onore qualifies handsomely. As does the same opera's Elvira aria: Ah! chi mi dice mai, quel barbaro dove? (she vows to tear his heart out. Ouch!!)

Who would have thought such grit could be found in Mozart  0:)

Mozart

Hmmphhjaaaweee, Now that we have covered Mozart, how about other composers? I know all of these Mozart arias, I listen to them just about daily. I would like to explore some arias that I can add to my list.  I like fiery arias!
http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/Gn89JoTfBak

Mozart

Fine, just so no one will mention it, also Mozart's aria from Idomeneo tutte nel cor vi sento is a pretty angry aria. And the one I said first also is from Idomeneo d'oreste d'aiace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/9AdN7qwjpUw

Also from Handel's Giulio Cesare I love Al lampo dell'armi.
http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/A94P3T7uLf8

max

What about Die Frist is Um from the Flying Dutchman which is really a rage against fate and then there is always Alberich's curse in Das Rheingold.

val

BEETHOVEN:  Fidelio, Pizarro's Aria "Auf euch nur will ich banen".

VERDI: Otello, Duo "Si per cielo".

VERDI: Rigoletto, Aria "Si vendetta".

VERDI: La Forza del Destino, Aria "Egli e salvo"

WAGNER: Rheingold, Alberich's Monologue "Nun, bin ich frei?"

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: val on October 24, 2007, 11:29:28 PM
BEETHOVEN:  Fidelio, Pizarro's Aria "Auf euch nur will ich banen".

VERDI: Otello, Duo "Si per cielo".

VERDI: Rigoletto, Aria "Si vendetta".

VERDI: La Forza del Destino, Aria "Egli e salvo"

WAGNER: Rheingold, Alberich's Monologue "Nun, bin ich frei?"

Si vendetta is really a duet, Rigoletto vowing vengeance, and Gilda pleading with him to be merciful. However Rigoletto's Cortigiani, vil razza dannata! would certainly qualify.
Si pel ciel is also a duet
Enrico's cabaletta from Act I of Lucia di Lammermoor would also qualify.

\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Lilas Pastia

Also in the running should be Monterone's terrifying outburst in Rigoletto, Act I. Not an aria, but quite the showstopper. No wonder Rigoletto exclaims: Ah! la maledizione!!

Mozart

Thanks everyone, but is this as big as this list will get? Some one has to get angry somewhere in some opera...

Tsaraslondon

There are probably quite a few angry cabalettas in early 19th century Italian operas.

Anna's final Coppia iniqua, l'estrema vendetta from Anna Bolena
Lady Macbeth's Or tutti sorgete, ministri infernali from Verdi's Macbeth
The Princess's Acerba volutta from Cilea's Adrianna Lecouvreur
Amneris's L'aborrita rivale from Aida
Azucena's Deh! Rallentate, o barbari from Il Trovatore

Norma gets angry quite a lot, but only in duets and ensembles. So does Medea in Cherubini's operas, but, again, not in either of her two big arias.

It doesn't count, not being an aria, but Strauss's Capriccio has a Dispute Ensemble.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: HandelHooligan on October 25, 2007, 10:41:45 AM
Thanks everyone, but is this as big as this list will get? Some one has to get angry somewhere in some opera...

Was your purpose just to get as big a list as possible? Is this yet another symptom of listmania? :P

Mozart

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on October 25, 2007, 03:50:35 PM
Was your purpose just to get as big a list as possible? Is this yet another symptom of listmania? :P

No...I just discovered that my favorite arias all sound fiery. The ones I will want to listen to often. And I did expect a huge list..