Dvorak's Den

Started by hornteacher, April 07, 2007, 06:41:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

My desire to reclaim Dvorak's true opus numbers remains undiminished. The 8th string quartet is op.27, dammit.

Few composers were more meticulous about opus numbers. And Simrock ruined it.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

DavidW

Quote from: Madiel on December 06, 2023, 03:36:57 AMMy desire to reclaim Dvorak's true opus numbers remains undiminished. The 8th string quartet is op.27, dammit.

Few composers were more meticulous about opus numbers. And Simrock ruined it.

This is how Gurn started in Haydn, look where that led... I look forward to your book! :laugh:

Maestro267

So Dvorak wrote 8 string quartets within his first 27 opera?

I listened to the 8th SQ earlier again and really enjoyed it, btw.

Mandryka

It looks like Dvorak took a long break in quartet writing between 11 and 12 for some reason.

I was wrong to say that Samsour says that 8 marks the start of his last cycle, she says that it marks the start of the series of his best known string quartets.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Jo498

With only slight simplification I think one could say that there are 4 well known and frequently played/recorded Dvorak quartets, namely #10 op.51 "Slavonic and the last 3, and 3 somewhat well known ones, #8 op.80? E major, #9 d minor op.34? and #11 op.61 C major. All the earlier ones seem virtually unknown and to get recorded only within complete cycles.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Madiel

Quote from: Maestro267 on December 06, 2023, 07:13:14 AMSo Dvorak wrote 8 string quartets within his first 27 opera?
Numbers 2-4 don't conventionally have opus numbers. They're among the works for which Dvorak destroyed the score.

But yes he was writing them rather frequently at one point.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mandryka

Quote from: Maestro267 on December 06, 2023, 07:13:14 AMI listened to the 8th SQ earlier again and really enjoyed it, btw.

6 seems quite fun too.

Madiel

Quote from: DavidW on December 06, 2023, 06:05:40 AMThis is how Gurn started in Haydn, look where that led... I look forward to your book! :laugh:

I mean, there's already a pretty great Dvorak website, so I'm not sure I need to generate more content.

David Hurwitz is a huge Dvorak fan, apparently he's written a book.

Mandryka

Note the dramatic performance of Quartet 8 here from the Dvorak Quartet. The release also contains an attractive Cypresses

https://www.supraphonline.cz/album/761520-me-svatky/cd

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on December 06, 2023, 02:20:45 PMI mean, there's already a pretty great Dvorak website, so I'm not sure I need to generate more content.

David Hurwitz is a huge Dvorak fan, apparently he's written a book.

Available for free (registration required) at archive.org
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Maestro267

Quote from: Mandryka on December 06, 2023, 01:06:31 PM6 seems quite fun too.

I seem to recall enjoying the 6th Quartet during my first go-through of this set back in the spring. Listening again now.

Mandryka