Author Topic: The British Composers Thread  (Read 108281 times)

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
Re: The British Composers Thread
« Reply #580 on: February 14, 2020, 08:43:08 AM »
Suffering PC problems  >:( so unable to post pic or link but completely taken by surprise by “Improvisations on a Theme by Constant Lambert” by Alan Rawsthorne with the Ulster Orchestra directed by Takuo Yusska on Naxos. Just over 12 minutes in length and used as a filler for the two PCs expectations were not particularly high. How wrong is that! A terrific piece dedicated to Rawsthorne’s wife who happened to be Lambert’s widow. Highly recommended with an excellent atmospheric performance from all concerned.
Must look that one out Lol, especially as I have the CD. Thanks for drawing our attention to it. PC No.2 is a great favourite of mine.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #581 on: February 14, 2020, 10:05:54 AM »
Total tangent..... .

Very funny to watch your polite, very British responses here, mostly silently obliging: almost as solemn as Germans politely condemning some aspect of German responsibility for WW II.  :D
(As if smaller & happier nations, yet not even that small, would still feel the burden of some 17th Century conflict of two overtly competing commercial interests as a personal affront. Very funny indeed.  ;D 8)
… music is not only an 'entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Offline Roasted Swan

« Reply #582 on: February 14, 2020, 03:36:10 PM »
Very funny to watch your polite, very British responses here, mostly silently obliging: almost as solemn as Germans politely condemning some aspect of German responsibility for WW II.  :D
(As if smaller & happier nations, yet not even that small, would still feel the burden of some 17th Century conflict of two overtly competing commercial interests as a personal affront. Very funny indeed.  ;D 8)
In my solemn very polite British way I have not got a clue what you are talking about....

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #583 on: February 14, 2020, 10:57:36 PM »
In my solemn very polite British way I have not got a clue what you are talking about....

Actually this:
which covers the 2nd Anglo-Dutch War in the midst of the Plague and the Fire of London.  In my ignorance I knew nothing about it but was fascinated how in the great spirit of "Fake News" the British government declared our defeat a major victory because they so feared civil unrest even Revolution if such a military set-back was announced on the back of the other 2 catastrophes...... everything old is new again......
… music is not only an 'entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948