Author Topic: The British Composers Thread  (Read 119398 times)

Offline Roasted Swan

Re: The British Composers Thread
« Reply #620 on: April 27, 2020, 09:46:29 AM »
That's why people need to post a brief explainer or context, rather than just "Discovery". You're fueling the clickbait mentality of the worst parts of the internet, and that's not healthy.

In the wider context of the internet perhaps - but I trust fellow posters here to be linking to things of common interest.  Indeed I was interested to read about the opera in question - its just not an opera that immediately I would seek out to see or hear.

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
« Reply #621 on: June 30, 2020, 10:02:05 AM »
As he doesn't have a dedicated thread...

Ordered the Lyrita disc of Arthur Benjamin's Symphony.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #622 on: June 30, 2020, 10:45:33 AM »

Coincidentally I did, too !  :)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #623 on: June 30, 2020, 11:30:24 AM »
got all excited and thought it might be by John Foulds or Holst.  Personally can't get quite as ecstatic over Taverner - and something written in 2005 (albeit still in manuscript) has not exactly been "lost".  I have to say - and its probably simply through ignorance - I've always thought that opera/drama and minimalism are kind of counter intuitive; the former is about a narrative line and "events" and minimalism is about stasis and incremental change.  Nixon in China is about as far as I've managed to get........
Yes, I got excited thinking that it might be Foulds as well.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #624 on: June 30, 2020, 11:36:17 AM »

An excellent symphony IMO - rather in the spirit of VW's 6th or 4th Symphony.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #625 on: June 30, 2020, 12:31:43 PM »

+1 A gripping work.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Online JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #626 on: June 30, 2020, 12:31:57 PM »

He does now...
https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,29978.0.html

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline relm1

• Veteran member
« Reply #627 on: June 30, 2020, 03:20:22 PM »
+1 A gripping work.
+1 fully agree with you both.

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #628 on: July 01, 2020, 07:52:26 AM »
+1 A gripping work.
+1 fully agree with you both.
Thanks to your steady evangelizing I succumbed to the d**d Arthur Benjamin symphony one and a half year ago and since then cannot but agree wholeheartedly with all of you.  8)
… music is not only an 'entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #629 on: July 01, 2020, 08:35:43 AM »
Thanks to your steady evangelizing I succumbed to the d**d Arthur Benjamin symphony one and a half year ago and since then cannot but agree wholeheartedly with all of you.  8)
Yes, but I bet that you don't have three separate recordings of it.  ;D

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Mieczysław Weinberg (1919 - 1996)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Weinberg, Prokofiev, Myaskovsky, Glazunov, Rachmaninov, Rimsky-Korsakov, Shchedrin, Kabalevsky, Schnittke, Korngold, Ben-Haim, Bloch, Honegger, Martinů, Copland, Barber, Walton, Villa-Lobos, Ginastera, Respighi, Malipiero
« Reply #630 on: July 01, 2020, 09:03:36 AM »
Incidentally, I own the Benjamin Symphony as well (on Lyrita). ;) I probably haven’t even heard it, which shouldn’t surprise anyone here. ::) So music music, so little time...
“There will be sunshine again and the violins will sing of peace on earth.” - Closing line from Weinberg’s Symphony No. 6, Op. 79

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #631 on: July 01, 2020, 10:31:23 AM »
Incidentally, I own the Benjamin Symphony as well (on Lyrita). ;) I probably haven’t even heard it, which shouldn’t surprise anyone here. ::) So music music, so little time...
The Lyrita is probably the best. I hope that you enjoy it when you get round to hearing it.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Mieczysław Weinberg (1919 - 1996)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Weinberg, Prokofiev, Myaskovsky, Glazunov, Rachmaninov, Rimsky-Korsakov, Shchedrin, Kabalevsky, Schnittke, Korngold, Ben-Haim, Bloch, Honegger, Martinů, Copland, Barber, Walton, Villa-Lobos, Ginastera, Respighi, Malipiero
« Reply #632 on: July 01, 2020, 12:58:03 PM »
The Lyrita is probably the best. I hope that you enjoy it when you get round to hearing it.

Thanks, Jeffrey. Hopefully over the weekend...or not. :P
“There will be sunshine again and the violins will sing of peace on earth.” - Closing line from Weinberg’s Symphony No. 6, Op. 79