Author Topic: The British Composers Thread  (Read 132219 times)

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
Re: The British Composers Thread
« Reply #820 on: November 13, 2020, 11:01:25 AM »
The first fruit of my resolution to buy less and listen to existing discs in my collection that I do not know well more.  This Howard Ferguson disc is an absolute cracker!  I have no memory of it before at all (shameful really....) 

Every work an absolute delight.  IF there is an issue it is that the influence of other British composers can be heard from Walton to Howells, Finzi etc.  But this is good exciting & rewarding music in its own right.  The setting of "A Lyke-wake" (the same poem Britten uses in his Serenade) is wonderfully atmospheric and rather menacing.  And all given the Chandos luxury treatment.  A disc to revisit soon for sure....

Interesting! I think that I have the Dream of the Rood on a different CD.

Actually it's this CD:
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 11:24:53 AM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #821 on: November 13, 2020, 03:11:04 PM »
Sorry, I'm late to the party.  No!!! Some of us are musicologists and study this material in depth.  Even scraps can turn into revelatory understanding.  What can we do to stop it (and please don't say money)?  Sorry if this has already been covered, I'm working and haven't followed.
You might be able to help by signing this petition:  https://www.change.org/p/lord-chancellor-and-secretary-of-state-for-justice-the-rt-hon-robert-buckland-qc-save-the-court-papers-of-sir-malcolm-arnold?redirect=false

PD

Online Maestro267

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Myaskovsky, Schnittke, Villa-Lobos and others
« Reply #822 on: November 21, 2020, 07:04:48 AM »
I picked up a disc the other day of music by Christopher Gunning. Violin Concerto, Cello Concerto and a tone poem, Birdflight. Listening to the Cello Concerto now.

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #823 on: November 21, 2020, 07:12:00 AM »
I picked up a disc the other day of music by Christopher Gunning. Violin Concerto, Cello Concerto and a tone poem, Birdflight. Listening to the Cello Concerto now.

I hope that you enjoy his music more than I do.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline relm1

• Veteran member
« Reply #824 on: November 21, 2020, 07:22:52 AM »
I hope that you enjoy his music more than I do.

I think you would like his "Cold Lazarus" film score.  I can't find it on youtube to send you a link but you can hear few seconds excerpt from here but to me, it sounds right up your alley:
https://www.hbdirect.com/album/1650541-film-tv-music-of-christopher-gunning.html

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #825 on: November 26, 2020, 09:00:22 AM »
I've been enjoying this CD.

The Ireland is not a previously unknown work. Rather it's an orchestration of his Fantasy Sonata.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #826 on: November 26, 2020, 01:52:48 PM »
I think you would like his "Cold Lazarus" film score.  I can't find it on youtube to send you a link but you can hear few seconds excerpt from here but to me, it sounds right up your alley:
https://www.hbdirect.com/album/1650541-film-tv-music-of-christopher-gunning.html

Thanks very much. Personally I think that he should stick to the 'day job' and much prefer his film and TV music the the (IMO) pretentious, overblown and entirely unmemorable concert music. He has a very slick website however. I found the CD covers more interesting than the music itself. Others will think differently. The Poirot music is nice. The opening of the 5th Symphony (in memory of his sister) raises expectations which are not realised.

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #827 on: November 26, 2020, 01:54:11 PM »
I've been enjoying this CD.

The Ireland is not a previously unknown work. Rather it's an orchestration of his Fantasy Sonata.

Looks interesting!

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #828 on: November 26, 2020, 07:33:59 PM »
Looks interesting!

To add to your interest, none of these works (including the Ireland in this version) have been recorded before.

The Walthew was left unfinished by the composer (as a short score) and orchestrated by Alfie Pugh.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #829 on: November 26, 2020, 11:57:21 PM »
To add to your interest, none of these works (including the Ireland in this version) have been recorded before.

The Walthew was left unfinished by the composer (as a short score) and orchestrated by Alfie Pugh.

Thanks Jeffrey
 :)

Offline Scion7

• Veteran member
  • Ridică-te, Székelys! Transilvania este Ungaria!
« Reply #830 on: November 27, 2020, 01:09:48 AM »

This will be released 5 December, I believe.
World premiere recording of the Cyril Scott pieces.
The Germans, who make doctrines out of everything, deal with music learnedly; the Italians, being voluptuous, seek in it lively, though fleeting, sensations; the French, more vain than perceptive, manage to speak of it wittily; and the English pay for it . . . - Stendhal

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #831 on: November 27, 2020, 08:29:29 AM »

I had a look through the Somm catalogue this morning. Two issues caught my eye, string quartets from Alwyn and Carwithen, also transcriptions for string orchestra from British string quartets including Elgar. The latter received a less then favourable review on Musicweb International but I may order it anyway.   
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #832 on: November 28, 2020, 05:13:39 AM »

Looks very desirable!
Great combination of composers.

Online Maestro267

• Veteran member
« Reply #833 on: December 03, 2020, 12:39:29 PM »
Great news re. the Malcolm Arnold archives: https://twitter.com/jonathanclinch/status/1334556649152016384

• Veteran member
« Reply #834 on: December 03, 2020, 12:41:45 PM »
Great news re. the Malcolm Arnold archives: https://twitter.com/jonathanclinch/status/1334556649152016384
I can't see it--message saying "Not accessible to you".  Trust that they have found a home?

PD

Offline Papy Oli

• Veteran member
« Reply #835 on: December 03, 2020, 02:01:47 PM »
Olivier

Offline relm1

• Veteran member
« Reply #836 on: December 03, 2020, 05:25:44 PM »

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #837 on: December 03, 2020, 10:45:21 PM »

Great news. I had a short letter in the Times about this issue.

• Veteran member
« Reply #838 on: December 04, 2020, 05:53:18 AM »
Thanks Olivier!  Great to hear!

Wonder how many people signed the petition in the end.  For what it was worth, I did.

And good job Jeffrey!

PD

Online Maestro267

• Veteran member
« Reply #839 on: December 04, 2020, 06:36:22 AM »
Over 5,000 people signed the petition according to that tweet.