The British Composers Thread

Started by Mark, October 25, 2007, 12:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on November 13, 2020, 08:46:38 AM
The first fruit of my resolution to buy less and listen to existing discs in my collection that I do not know well more.  This Howard Ferguson disc is an absolute cracker!  I have no memory of it before at all (shameful really....) 

Every work an absolute delight.  IF there is an issue it is that the influence of other British composers can be heard from Walton to Howells, Finzi etc.  But this is good exciting & rewarding music in its own right.  The setting of "A Lyke-wake" (the same poem Britten uses in his Serenade) is wonderfully atmospheric and rather menacing.  And all given the Chandos luxury treatment.  A disc to revisit soon for sure....

Interesting! I think that I have the Dream of the Rood on a different CD.

Actually it's this CD:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: relm1 on November 11, 2020, 03:32:51 PM
Sorry, I'm late to the party.  No!!! Some of us are musicologists and study this material in depth.  Even scraps can turn into revelatory understanding.  What can we do to stop it (and please don't say money)?  Sorry if this has already been covered, I'm working and haven't followed.
You might be able to help by signing this petition:  https://www.change.org/p/lord-chancellor-and-secretary-of-state-for-justice-the-rt-hon-robert-buckland-qc-save-the-court-papers-of-sir-malcolm-arnold?redirect=false

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Maestro267

I picked up a disc the other day of music by Christopher Gunning. Violin Concerto, Cello Concerto and a tone poem, Birdflight. Listening to the Cello Concerto now.

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on November 21, 2020, 06:04:48 AM
I picked up a disc the other day of music by Christopher Gunning. Violin Concerto, Cello Concerto and a tone poem, Birdflight. Listening to the Cello Concerto now.

I hope that you enjoy his music more than I do.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

relm1

Quote from: vandermolen on November 21, 2020, 06:12:00 AM
I hope that you enjoy his music more than I do.

I think you would like his "Cold Lazarus" film score.  I can't find it on youtube to send you a link but you can hear few seconds excerpt from here but to me, it sounds right up your alley:
https://www.hbdirect.com/album/1650541-film-tv-music-of-christopher-gunning.html

JBS

I've been enjoying this CD.

The Ireland is not a previously unknown work. Rather it's an orchestration of his Fantasy Sonata.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on November 21, 2020, 06:22:52 AM
I think you would like his "Cold Lazarus" film score.  I can't find it on youtube to send you a link but you can hear few seconds excerpt from here but to me, it sounds right up your alley:
https://www.hbdirect.com/album/1650541-film-tv-music-of-christopher-gunning.html

Thanks very much. Personally I think that he should stick to the 'day job' and much prefer his film and TV music the the (IMO) pretentious, overblown and entirely unmemorable concert music. He has a very slick website however. I found the CD covers more interesting than the music itself. Others will think differently. The Poirot music is nice. The opening of the 5th Symphony (in memory of his sister) raises expectations which are not realised.

vandermolen

Quote from: JBS on November 26, 2020, 08:00:22 AM
I've been enjoying this CD.

The Ireland is not a previously unknown work. Rather it's an orchestration of his Fantasy Sonata.

Looks interesting!

JBS

Quote from: vandermolen on November 26, 2020, 12:54:11 PM
Looks interesting!

To add to your interest, none of these works (including the Ireland in this version) have been recorded before.

The Walthew was left unfinished by the composer (as a short score) and orchestrated by Alfie Pugh.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vandermolen

Quote from: JBS on November 26, 2020, 06:33:59 PM
To add to your interest, none of these works (including the Ireland in this version) have been recorded before.

The Walthew was left unfinished by the composer (as a short score) and orchestrated by Alfie Pugh.

Thanks Jeffrey
:)

Scion7

This will be released 5 December, I believe.
World premiere recording of the Cyril Scott pieces.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Irons

Quote from: Scion7 on November 27, 2020, 12:09:48 AM

I had a look through the Somm catalogue this morning. Two issues caught my eye, string quartets from Alwyn and Carwithen, also transcriptions for string orchestra from British string quartets including Elgar. The latter received a less then favourable review on Musicweb International but I may order it anyway.   
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Scion7 on November 27, 2020, 12:09:48 AM

Looks very desirable!
Great combination of composers.

Maestro267

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Maestro267 on December 03, 2020, 11:39:29 AM
Great news re. the Malcolm Arnold archives: https://twitter.com/jonathanclinch/status/1334556649152016384
I can't see it--message saying "Not accessible to you".  Trust that they have found a home?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Papy Oli

Olivier

vandermolen

Pohjolas Daughter

Thanks Olivier!  Great to hear!

Wonder how many people signed the petition in the end.  For what it was worth, I did.

And good job Jeffrey!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Maestro267

Over 5,000 people signed the petition according to that tweet.