The British Composers Thread

Started by Mark, October 25, 2007, 12:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hector

R3 has started to advertise Foulds' 'War Requiem,' unperformed since its first performance, today.

Sunday, be there or be...

Mark

Quote from: Hector on November 07, 2007, 05:34:59 AM
R3 has started to advertise Foulds' 'War Requiem,' unperformed since its first performance, today.

Sunday, be there or be...

Thanks for the reminder. ;)

vandermolen

The "Independent" (UK) had a big article about Foulds yesterday (Wednesday). I'm looking forward to the concert.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Found the Foulds article. Thanks for the hint! (The writer, Jessica Duchen, has also written an excellent book on Korngold, btw)

http://news.independent.co.uk/people/profiles/article3136021.ece
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Grazioso

Here's one:

A mid-Victorian woman symphonist (odd in itself) who actually got her works performed and applauded in her lifetime. Good stuff.
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

karlhenning

Oh, it would have been applauded, surely. The Victorians were nothing if not polite  8)

Hector

Quote from: Jezetha on November 08, 2007, 01:52:20 AM
Found the Foulds article. Thanks for the hint! (The writer, Jessica Duchen, has also written an excellent book on Korngold, btw)

http://news.independent.co.uk/people/profiles/article3136021.ece

Sorry, it is a 'World Requiem' and not a 'War Requiem.'

My error.

karlhenning

'World Requiem', death of the world?

Bummer.

Hector

J.Z. Herrenberg

A World War deserves a World Requiem.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

JoshLilly

Quote from: karlhenning on November 08, 2007, 03:59:58 AM
Oh, it would have been applauded, surely. The Victorians were nothing if not polite  8)

Actually, I have the Alice Mary Smith CD, and I really like the music. I applaud it on its own merits, not because I'm polite - which I'm not anyway! I've got a number - hundreds - of CDs that get one or two listens and hit a shelf to practically collect dust, but this is not among them.

Grazioso

Quote from: karlhenning on November 08, 2007, 03:59:58 AM

I was of course using "applauded" in the broader, figurative sense of "receiving praise," though I'm sure the audiences did indeed clap politely, too :) It's some really good music. She's a composer I'd very much like to hear more of.
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Hector

Quote from: Jezetha on November 08, 2007, 06:04:24 AM
A World War deserves a World Requiem.

Absolutely.

We'll all know whether Foulds was up to the task on Sunday, or some of us will!

drogulus

Thank you. :) And may the British Composers thread continue to prosper. 0:)

Edit: My, this post looks funny sitting here all by its lonesome.  ???
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Mark

Quote from: drogulus on November 09, 2007, 01:33:33 PM
     Thank you. :) And may the British Composers thread continue to prosper. 0:)

And thank you.

I wasn't sure how much folks would use this thread when I began it, but it does appear to have become a home for we Anglo-composer-philes. ;D

Thom

I wonder what you (we!) 'Anglo-composer-philes' (if i may quote Mark)  think of Havergal Brial. I am asking because at the moment I am listening to his 3d symphony, which pleases me greatly. I don't feel much about his Gothic, but the 3d is impressive, on a large scale (almost one hour) and with a huge orchestra, but that may be Brian's trademark more or less, judging from his Gothic Symphony.

Montpellier

Quote from: XXXPawn on November 10, 2007, 02:53:28 AM
I wonder what you (we!) 'Anglo-composer-philes' (if i may quote Mark)  think of Havergal Brial. I am asking because at the moment I am listening to his 3d symphony, which pleases me greatly. I don't feel much about his Gothic, but the 3d is impressive, on a large scale (almost one hour) and with a huge orchestra, but that may be Brian's trademark more or less, judging from his Gothic Symphony.

If you meant 'Brian' I see that Naxos has recently released his 2nd Symphony.  Listening to the extracts tempts me to buy it.  Can't go wrong at that price.   

Thom

J.Z. Herrenberg

As a confirmed Brianite I'd like to recommend the twofer from EMI, with symphonies 7, 8, 9 and 31. Great performances, glorious sound. You can't go wrong with those. And Lyrita will be re-issuing 6 and 16 in the near future - another CD to watch out for.

@ XXXPawn: what is it you don't like about the Gothic? The first three, purely instrumental, movements are surely in the same league as the Third?!

@ Anancho: I personally don't care much for the Naxos Second (the Finale comes off best, I think), but I do care about the Second. I heard a radio performance under Sir Charles Mackerras which was much more persuasive and much better played... But as a means of getting to know the work at all, and at that price, I woudn't say no to the Naxos either!

Montpellier

You're probably right - the extracts are rarely of serious listening quality and I couldn't be bothered to connect the PC to the amp.  But it's something I might explore.   I'll try to borrow it in view of what you say.   
I have a radio recording of the Gothic from around 1980, on tapes and I transferred it to CD (the orchestra wasn't noted but I suspect it's the BBCSO + a few choirs and extras).  It does have something that the Marco Polo doesn't - at least, the sound doesn't feel so constricted.