The British Composers Thread

Started by Mark, October 25, 2007, 12:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jess

So I heard there a huge buzz at ENO lately because of a new production of Birtwistle's The Mask of Orpheus and I'm wondering did anyone go to see it? Has anyone seen that opera? Birtwistle fans have been pretty excited with the attention his music has been getting because of it!

vers la flamme

Someone recommend me a great piece of English chamber music! I have heard good things about Elgar's violin sonata, but if there's a better place to start, then someone let me know!

Great English piano music would also be interesting!

Irons

Quote from: vers la flamme on November 25, 2019, 01:56:21 PM
Someone recommend me a great piece of English chamber music! I have heard good things about Elgar's violin sonata, but if there's a better place to start, then someone let me know!

Great English piano music would also be interesting!

Good question. Personally, for Elgar my first port of call would be the outstanding Piano Quintet and String Quartet before the Violin Sonata. Britten's 1st Quartet is of the highest order. I have never quite come to terms with the Frank Bridge quartets but know them to be highly rated. For RVW you can't go wrong with a marvellous Hyperion CD (CDA67313) by The Nash Ensemble of chamber works, I recommend this issue with enthusiasm.

There are treasurable recordings of English music for voice and piano but I cannot think of the top of my head a work for solo piano that qualifies of being "great".
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Bax's Piano Quintet comes to mind - a marvellous discovery made through this forum. Also his Harp Quintet.
Also, the two string quartets, Violin Sonata (a late, craggy work) and Phantasy Quintet by Vaughan Williams.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vers la flamme

Ah, thanks. This must be the way to go then:

[asin]B00006644H[/asin]

aukhawk

Quote from: Irons on November 25, 2019, 11:57:14 PM
There are treasurable recordings of English music for voice and piano but I cannot think of the top of my head a work for solo piano that qualifies of being "great".

Stevenson Passacaglia on DSCH ??

Oh ... "great" - I thought you meant "long"  :D

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on November 26, 2019, 12:07:15 AM
Bax's Piano Quintet comes to mind - a marvellous discovery made through this forum. Also his Harp Quintet.
Also, the two string quartets, Violin Sonata (a late, craggy work) and Phantasy Quintet by Vaughan Williams.

Not sure if among the [umpty] times you mentioned RVW's 1954 Violin Sonata you added each time as your personal opinion that we might consider it a 'craggy' work. But almost.  :D
Very much appreciated !!  :) 8)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: vers la flamme on November 26, 2019, 02:05:30 AM
Ah, thanks. This must be the way to go then:

[asin]B00006644H[/asin]
Absolutely! That's a great disc in all respects including the photo of VW looking like an old farmer. 'The Lake in the Mountains' (derived from some of VW's film music) is a lovely short piano work.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on November 26, 2019, 06:40:32 AM
Not sure if among the [umpty] times you mentioned RVW's 1954 Violin Sonata you added each time as your personal opinion that we might consider it a 'craggy' work. But almost.  :D
Very much appreciated !!  :) 8)

It's definitely a craggy work Johan (like the Fantasia on the Old 104th Psalm Tune - notwithstanding its odd similarity to the children's record 'Sparky's Magic Piano'). Anyway, as you know, I'm not the sort of person to repeat myself or start identical threads to ones I started several years earlier or buy the same recording twice (or more) just because it has a different cover image.
8)

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on November 26, 2019, 07:27:32 AM
It's definitely a craggy work Johan (like the Fantasia on the Old 104th Psalm Tune - notwithstanding its odd similarity to the children's record 'Sparky's Magic Piano'). Anyway, as you know, I'm not the sort of person to repeat myself or start identical threads to ones I started several years earlier or buy the same recording twice (or more) just because it has a different cover image.
8)
Very happy to learn that the two of us both aren't guilty of this flagrant misconduct, don't cheat our wives with cheap alternatives, or repeat anything, I repeat: never anything at all, not even threads.  8)

(Very happy to learn that the two of us both aren't guilty of this flagrant misconduct, don't cheat our wives with cheap alternatives, or repeat anything, I repeat: never anything at all, not even threads.  8) )
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on December 10, 2019, 07:12:31 AM
Very happy to learn that the two of us both aren't guilty of this flagrant misconduct, don't cheat or wives with cheap alternatives, or repeat anything, I repeat: never anything at all, not even threads.  8)
;D

jess

Does anyone have any news or reviews regarding ENO's The Mask of Orpheus or any other recent Birtwistle stuff?

André

Copied from the WAYL2 thread:

Three collective sets of Theme and Variations by british composers.

First is a Coronation offering initiated by Britten. In 1953 he enlisted Imogen Holst, Arthur Oldham, Michael Tippett, Lennox Berkeley, himself, Humphrey Searle and William Walton in the enterprise. This is the order in which they participated. At the premiere the composers were listed alphabetically and the public was invited to a guess-the-composer game. Nobody got it all right.

In 1966 the Severn Bridge Variations were commissioned for the opening of the suspended bridge over the Severn estuary that links England and Wales (watchers of The Crown: Prince Charles' Wales journey starts with the crossing of the Rubicon Severn bridge). Three English and three Welsh composers were asked for a variation on a welsh hymn tune.  The theme and first variation came from the pen of Malcolm Arnold (easily recognizable), followed by efforts from Alun Hoddinot, Nicolas Maw, Daniel Jones, Grace Williams and Michael Tippett. I found this the most stimulating and enjoyable of the three works.

The third set dates from 1987 and was commissioned by the Aldeburgh Festival for its 40th anniversary. The theme is based on the Sumer is acumen melody used by Britten in the finale of his own Simple Symphony. A short introduction precedes the statement of the theme, arranged by Oliver Knussen. The other variations are from Robert Saxton, Robin Holloway, Judith Weir, Alexander Goehr (beautiful), Colin Mathews and David Bedford.

The disc is not very long (55 minutes) but presents a richly varied and quite substantial program. I enjoyed all 20 tracks. Recommended.

vers la flamme

This Decca 2CD has dominated by listening over the past few weeks or so since I got it for $1.

A few of these composers are major discoveries for me, especially Delius—Marriner's detail-oriented conducting really brings out the best in these works. I didn't think I liked Delius, but I definitely enjoy what I'm hearing here. I still have another Decca 2CD with Mackerras conducting Delius to work through again with newfound appreciation for the composer. Beyond Mackerras, I intend to explore Barbirolli's Delius recordings.

Outside of Delius, my other favorite here is George Butterworth. I knew nothing of him aside from that he was a friend of Vaughan Williams' who died young in the war. But the three works presented here are damn fine, especially A Shropshire Lad. Excellent harmony and orchestration. My next question is this: where to from here? I see there is this Naxos disc that looks quite promising:

[asin]B003NA7GCY[/asin]

Is there any love for it here?

Also included on the Marriner set I mentioned is Peter Warlock, and both of his works presented here are nice, if slightly lightweight. But I would like to explore some more of his music, too. He seems to have been an interesting character.  I'm planning on tracking down this Naxos disc which includes his Serenade for Delius' Birthday:

[asin]B000058UU1[/asin]

... along with a bunch of other light-ish English string music. You know, I never expected to become so taken with this music. As an American, I guess this is a kind of escapism for me. But I am enjoying all that I'm hearing.

Who are some other great English composers to look out for? I have been told that both Finzi and Alwyn are worth a listen. For Finzi, I have a disc coming in the mail that includes piano concertos of Delius, RVW, and Finzi so that will likely be my introduction. As for Alwyn I'm planning on tracking down the Naxos recordings of the symphonies or the quartets. And then there is Holst, I intend to hear more of his music as well.

André

Re: Delius. The Barbirolli discs are indeed an excellent choice. I suppose you refer to this EMI twofer:

There's a 79 min Naxos disc of other works I highly recommend, containing as it does an excellent Florida Suite with some rare and neglected stuff. There is practically no duplication with the Barbirolli discs, which is good. The final scene from his opera Koanga concludes the disc beautifully. Florida Suite contains the original iteration of La Calinda, which was to be re-used by Delius in Koanga. Nice thematic connection between the first and last works on the disc then.

Papy Oli

For Butterworth, I recently received this one but it is still on the listening pile. Whatever I sampled however on YT of Butterworth impressed me too (songs and orchestral) and that seemed a good CD to cover this. There's also an alternative (dearer) on BIS.

[asin]B00005IA6B[/asin]
Olivier

Papy Oli

Quote from: vers la flamme on January 26, 2020, 11:35:20 AM
Who are some other great English composers to look out for? I have been told that both Finzi and Alwyn are worth a listen. For Finzi, I have a disc coming in the mail that includes piano concertos of Delius, RVW, and Finzi so that will likely be my introduction. As for Alwyn I'm planning on tracking down the Naxos recordings of the symphonies or the quartets. And then there is Holst, I intend to hear more of his music as well.

for Finzi, this is just gorgeous:

[asin]B000N8UVR6[/asin]

For Alwyn: the symphonies conducted by Alwyn himself on Lyrita.

For Holst : one CD by Boult and  one by Imogen Holst, both on Lyrita as well.

Other composers to consider : Malcolm Arnold, Arnold Bax, Bantock, Moeran, Rubbra, Walton, George Lloyd.

Olivier

Papy Oli

And Arnold Cooke
and Havergal Brian
and Cyril Scott
and Ruth Gipps
and Cyril Rootham
and...
and...

Christ on a bike, I am turning into Vandermolen  :o :laugh: :P
Olivier

vers la flamme

I have forgotten to mention but I have been enjoying Malcolm Arnold some as well. I like symphonies 5, 6 and 9 quite a bit and also have 7 and 8 on disc. All Naxos. The Naxos Arnold cycle is damn fine. I never saw myself becoming an English music head, but here we are. Thanks for the recommendations, @André. I'll look out for that Delius Naxos disc and I've already had my eye on that Barbirolli.

@Oli, I have never heard of some of those composers you mention (Cooke, Scott, Gipps, Rootham, Lloyd) and some others I've heard and disliked (Brian, Rubbra). But your post reminds me that there were so, so many English composers in the past 100 years, many great, many not so great, but it was/is a true Renaissance. How did this all start? Who poured the fuel on the fire the most? Perhaps the answer is Ralph Vaughan Williams...?

One I've been curious about that you mention, @Oli, is Moeran. What would you say is his best work, or the best place to start, at least?

I appreciate everyone's help. This music is all new to me and I am enjoying some of it very much so far.

Papy Oli

Quote from: vers la flamme on January 26, 2020, 01:04:18 PM

@Oli, I have never heard of some of those composers you mention (Cooke, Scott, Gipps, Rootham, Lloyd) and some others I've heard and disliked (Brian, Rubbra). But your post reminds me that there were so, so many English composers in the past 100 years, many great, many not so great, but it was/is a true Renaissance. How did this all start? Who poured the fuel on the fire the most? Perhaps the answer is Ralph Vaughan Williams...?

One I've been curious about that you mention, @Oli, is Moeran. What would you say is his best work, or the best place to start, at least?

I have only been on this British journey myself for the last 12-15 months after years of struggling with those composers and others. It's basically been my soundtrack since then with magnificent discoveries, thanks to all info on the relevant threads and the infectious passion  of fellow highly informed members here (and past ones sadly). You can see my post on page 24 to give you an idea of what i sampled. And there have been many changes and additions since.

For Moeran, again his symphony with Boult on Lyrita is a definite winner. I have recently acquired some more works of his but only had partial listens before i can recommend.

Whatever sticks or doesn't, enjoy the journey
Olivier