The British Composers Thread

Started by Mark, October 25, 2007, 12:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Christo on January 30, 2020, 11:38:39 AM
Good start, just 16, no more than half of the Havergal Brian output or 1,17365425 percent of the Symphonic Segerstam Flood. (Almost thankful Boulez didn't compose symphonies, hardly any music, for that matter.  ??? ).

Funny!

Quote from: Christo on January 30, 2020, 11:38:39 AM
I always start with symphonies Nos. 1-274, what would you recommend next? The God-created Whales - but are they also to be considered Hovhaness' creations then?  :-X

He only composed 67 symphonies AFAIK. Quite few actually if compared with the crazy Segerstam. To compose such ridiculuos number of symphonies makes no sense at all.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Christo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 30, 2020, 01:59:20 PM
He only composed 67 symphonies AFAIK. Quite few actually if compared with the crazy Segerstam. To compose such ridiculuos number of symphonies makes no sense at all.

But why not? In any case: I own about twenty Hovhaness symphonies & did play quite a few of them in the past. He's certainly an open, inspired composer, no window-dressing, often moving.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Maestro267

Back to British composers, I've just listened again to Wordsworth's Symphony No. 3. What a haunting middle movement! The celesta in particular has a starring role.

Christo

Quote from: Maestro267 on January 31, 2020, 05:12:28 AM
Back to British composers, I've just listened again to Wordsworth's Symphony No. 3. What a haunting middle movement! The celesta in particular has a starring role.

+1. I received my copy of Wordsworth' symphonies Nos. 2 & 3 from Dundonnell (Colin Mackie, since long a sleeping member here, but ten years ago one of the main contributors) on his visit to my home town of Utrecht, I think about ten years ago - and was completely overwhelmed.

I played it dozens of times during a stay in a German village, Winter of 2010, and cherish this memory as one of those moments some piece of music really 'comes in' irresistably. Wordsworth is a unique symphonist, one of those individualist that will never gain much recognition, but ranking high on my personal list of special composers. Like Herman Koppel does, Arnold Cooke, Ruth Gipps, or Hendrik Andriessen.  :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Irons

Quote from: Christo on January 31, 2020, 03:22:44 PM
+1. I received my copy of Wordsworth' symphonies Nos. 2 & 3 from Dundonnell (Colin Mackie, since long a sleeping member here, but ten years ago one of the main contributors) on his visit to my home town of Utrecht, I think about ten years ago - and was completely overwhelmed.

I played it dozens of times during a stay in a German village, Winter of 2010, and cherish this memory as one of those moments some piece of music really 'comes in' irresistably. Wordsworth is a unique symphonist, one of those individualist that will never gain much recognition, but ranking high on my personal list of special composers. Like Herman Koppel does, Arnold Cooke, Ruth Gipps, or Hendrik Andriessen.  :)

Cracking post. I came by my copy by a similar route as a gift from a present main contributor. An act of great generosity. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on January 31, 2020, 03:22:44 PM

Wordsworth's Second Symphony is one that I have grown to appreciate more and more over the last few years. In their boxed set of British Symphonies I think that Lyrita should have included it instead of the IMO less interesting No.3. Likewise a pity they could find no room for Boult's recording of Moeran's Symphony alongside the fine Sinfonietta.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vers la flamme

I am really fascinated with Old English history, excessively so considering I am an American of limited English heritage, and I was wondering if there was any work by an English composer that explores the Anglo-Saxon heritage of his or her country...? Be it opera, ballet, tone poem, or what have you, I would be curious to know of it.

steve ridgway

There is Birtwistle's opera Gawain based on the stories of King Arthur although not being keen on opera I have only heard the orchestral Gawain's Journey.

[asin] B00JG08G1K[/asin]

[asin] B00061X9WY[/asin]

vers la flamme

Quote from: steve ridgway on February 01, 2020, 05:27:32 AM
There is Birtwistle's opera Gawain based on the stories of King Arthur although not being keen on opera I have only heard the orchestral Gawain's Journey.

[asin] B00JG08G1K[/asin]

[asin] B00061X9WY[/asin]

Awesome, and from Birtwistle who I have been meaning to explore anyway, no less. I will have to check out the orchestral one and maybe then the opera (I'm not a big opera guy either).

Klaatu

Unfortunately a different genre altogether, and probably not your cup of tea at all, but the English heavy metal band Forefather has focussed on our country's Anglo Saxon heritage for their entire career. Their albums are highly regarded by many, including this old metalhead. Here's a great song of theirs, The Golden Dragon, which deals with the impact of Christianity on the Anglo Saxon world:

https://youtu.be/B2daMFuvx5U

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vers la flamme on February 01, 2020, 04:59:13 AM
I am really fascinated with Old English history, excessively so considering I am an American of limited English heritage, and I was wondering if there was any work by an English composer that explores the Anglo-Saxon heritage of his or her country...? Be it opera, ballet, tone poem, or what have you, I would be curious to know of it.

The obvious one is Rutland Boughton and his Arthurian cycle of operas which were to be staged at Glastonbury - yes THAT Glastonbury - and were to rival Bayreuth.  The Queen of Cornwall has been recorded on Dutton - but to be hones it ain't great!  Some of Boughton's straight orchestral stuff is nice but not extraordinary.  The Immortal Hour still holds the UK record for most consecutive performances of a British opera here.

Klaatu

There are two works based on the old Anglo Saxon poem The Dream of the Rood:

The first by Howard Ferguson, who was a British, though not English, composer - he was born in Northern Ireland:

https://www.amazon.com/Dream-Rood-Ferguson/dp/B000000APZ#immersive-view_1580646529282

The other by a contemporary English composer, John Casken:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/John-Casken-Dream-Hilliard-Ensemble/dp/B07S98KYMG/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=casken+dream+of+the+rood+cd&qid=1580646915&sr=8-1#immersive-view_1580646925983

And then there's Elgar's King Olaf, whose subject is Olaf Tryggvason, King of Norway, who had links with Anglo- Saxon England and is mentioned in the 11th century Anglo Saxon Chronicle:

https://englishlanguageandhistory.com/?id=anglo-saxon-chronicle-olaf-tryggvason-oath-1.

vers la flamme

Quote from: Klaatu on February 02, 2020, 03:49:24 AM
There are two works based on the old Anglo Saxon poem The Dream of the Rood:

The first by Howard Ferguson, who was a British, though not English, composer - he was born in Northern Ireland:

https://www.amazon.com/Dream-Rood-Ferguson/dp/B000000APZ#immersive-view_1580646529282

The other by a contemporary English composer, John Casken:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/John-Casken-Dream-Hilliard-Ensemble/dp/B07S98KYMG/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=casken+dream+of+the+rood+cd&qid=1580646915&sr=8-1#immersive-view_1580646925983

And then there's Elgar's King Olaf, whose subject is Olaf Tryggvason, King of Norway, who had links with Anglo- Saxon England and is mentioned in the 11th century Anglo Saxon Chronicle:

https://englishlanguageandhistory.com/?id=anglo-saxon-chronicle-olaf-tryggvason-oath-1.

Awesome, thanks. The kind of thing I'm looking for. Re: Forefather, I was a metalhead long before I was into classical music—but I do not know them, so I'll have to check it out. Thanks. For how much I love Bathory and other Scandanavian bands whose music explores their heritage as old Northmen, I'm sure there is something for me to appreciate in metal groups coming from the UK in a similar vein.

@Roasted Swan, thanks, I wasn't aware of this Boughton, and I appreciate your candor in telling me that his music may be nothing special after all  ;D but it is something to be curious about. I'll have to check some of it out some time.

Klaatu

I forgot that Henry Purcell also wrote a King Arthur:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Purcell-King-Arthur-Henry/dp/B004CYNMDM#immersive-view_1580648960642

Oddly enough, English composers don't seem to have been inspired by the great Anglo-Saxon poem Beowulf; the only composition I'm aware of is the Lament for Beowulf by Howard Hanson - but he was American!

On the metalhead front, the band Thy Majestie wrote a great album dealing with the overthrow of Harold Godwinson and thus, of Anglo Saxon England:

https://youtu.be/T-eRk67UDmA

....but this band is Italian! I sometimes think that we English don't get enough mileage out of our own history!

vers la flamme

Quote from: Klaatu on February 02, 2020, 04:19:41 AM
I forgot that Henry Purcell also wrote a King Arthur:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Purcell-King-Arthur-Henry/dp/B004CYNMDM#immersive-view_1580648960642

Oddly enough, English composers don't seem to have been inspired by the great Anglo-Saxon poem Beowulf; the only composition I'm aware of is the Lament for Beowulf by Howard Hanson - but he was American!

On the metalhead front, the band Thy Majestie wrote a great album dealing with the overthrow of Harold Godwinson and thus, of Anglo Saxon England:

https://youtu.be/T-eRk67UDmA

....but this band is Italian! I sometimes think that we English don't get enough mileage out of our own history!

I would agree, especially with as fascinating as it is!! I can't believe no one has made music inspired by Beowulf. One would think that if three dozen Finnish composers have written tone poems, operas, ballets, and symphonies based on the Kalevala, at least one Englishman would have written a Beowulf tone poem. I suppose nationalism may have been a less pressing issue there in the UK at the time that all of this Kalevala revival stuff was going down...? I don't know.

Maestro267

Quote from: vandermolen on February 01, 2020, 01:24:14 AM
Wordsworth's Second Symphony is one that I have grown to appreciate more and more over the last few years. In their boxed set of British Symphonies I think that Lyrita should have included it instead of the IMO less interesting No.3. Likewise a pity they could find no room for Boult's recording of Moeran's Symphony alongside the fine Sinfonietta.

I'm probably going to have to get that recording of No. 2 and put up with the duplicate No. 3. I've also seen a couple of other recordings of Wordsworth's music on Toccata that I have my eye on as well.

steve ridgway

Quote from: vers la flamme on February 02, 2020, 05:27:48 AM
I would agree, especially with as fascinating as it is!! I can't believe no one has made music inspired by Beowulf. One would think that if three dozen Finnish composers have written tone poems, operas, ballets, and symphonies based on the Kalevala, at least one Englishman would have written a Beowulf tone poem. I suppose nationalism may have been a less pressing issue there in the UK at the time that all of this Kalevala revival stuff was going down...? I don't know.

I didn't opt for History at school because it had a very poor record of exam passes, so have mostly learnt from reading, but the Anglo-Saxon period doesn't seem to get much mention. Maybe because the well educated aristocracy were all Normans.

Iota

Quote from: vers la flamme on February 02, 2020, 05:27:48 AMI can't believe no one has made music inspired by Beowulf. One would think that if three dozen Finnish composers have written tone poems, operas, ballets, and symphonies based on the Kalevala, at least one Englishman would have written a Beowulf tone poem. I suppose nationalism may have been a less pressing issue there in the UK at the time that all of this Kalevala revival stuff was going down...? I don't know.

Interesting point. I suppose we had Shakespeare who came along and towards whom composers' eyes were drawn, thus perhaps depriving Beowulf of some of the limelight it might have otherwise received.
But like you I have no idea. Beowulf had more success attracting literary attention I think, Tolkien and LotR being one I've heard mentioned.

Quote from: steve ridgway on February 02, 2020, 09:07:36 AM
I didn't opt for History at school because it had a very poor record of exam passes, so have mostly learnt from reading, but the Anglo-Saxon period doesn't seem to get much mention. Maybe because the well educated aristocracy were all Normans.

An interesting thought!