The British Composers Thread

Started by Mark, October 25, 2007, 12:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Maestro267 on April 27, 2020, 04:22:13 AM
That's why people need to post a brief explainer or context, rather than just "Discovery". You're fueling the clickbait mentality of the worst parts of the internet, and that's not healthy.

In the wider context of the internet perhaps - but I trust fellow posters here to be linking to things of common interest.  Indeed I was interested to read about the opera in question - its just not an opera that immediately I would seek out to see or hear.

Maestro267

As he doesn't have a dedicated thread...

Ordered the Lyrita disc of Arthur Benjamin's Symphony.

André

Quote from: Maestro267 on June 30, 2020, 11:02:05 AM

Coincidentally I did, too !  :)

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 26, 2020, 11:52:22 PM
got all excited and thought it might be by John Foulds or Holst.  Personally can't get quite as ecstatic over Taverner - and something written in 2005 (albeit still in manuscript) has not exactly been "lost".  I have to say - and its probably simply through ignorance - I've always thought that opera/drama and minimalism are kind of counter intuitive; the former is about a narrative line and "events" and minimalism is about stasis and incremental change.  Nixon in China is about as far as I've managed to get........
Yes, I got excited thinking that it might be Foulds as well.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on June 30, 2020, 11:02:05 AM

An excellent symphony IMO - rather in the spirit of VW's 6th or 4th Symphony.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on June 30, 2020, 12:36:17 PM

+1 A gripping work.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

relm1

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on June 30, 2020, 12:36:17 PM
Quote from: kyjo on June 30, 2020, 01:31:43 PM
+1 A gripping work.
Quote from: relm1 on June 30, 2020, 04:20:22 PM
+1 fully agree with you both.
Thanks to your steady evangelizing I succumbed to the d**d Arthur Benjamin symphony one and a half year ago and since then cannot but agree wholeheartedly with all of you.  8)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on July 01, 2020, 08:52:26 AM
Thanks to your steady evangelizing I succumbed to the d**d Arthur Benjamin symphony one and a half year ago and since then cannot but agree wholeheartedly with all of you.  8)
Yes, but I bet that you don't have three separate recordings of it.  ;D

Mirror Image

Incidentally, I own the Benjamin Symphony as well (on Lyrita). ;) I probably haven't even heard it, which shouldn't surprise anyone here. ::) So music music, so little time...

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 01, 2020, 10:03:36 AM
Incidentally, I own the Benjamin Symphony as well (on Lyrita). ;) I probably haven't even heard it, which shouldn't surprise anyone here. ::) So music music, so little time...
The Lyrita is probably the best. I hope that you enjoy it when you get round to hearing it.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on July 01, 2020, 11:31:23 AM
The Lyrita is probably the best. I hope that you enjoy it when you get round to hearing it.

Thanks, Jeffrey. Hopefully over the weekend...or not. :P

Irons

Alerted to this CD by a poll by the senior reviewers at Musicweb International who were asked to list their favourite recordings. One contributor chose this which did stick out like a sore thumb against other choices.

I make it a policy not to comment on either performers or performance - who am I to judge. But it would be remiss for me not to do so in this case. Jacqueline Roche has a big beefy muscular sound, she, and her pianist partner, are totally committed to the music. This transcends playing the notes as their belief in the music's worth is obvious even to a non-technical person such as myself.

Joseph Holbrooke: Violin Sonata No.3 'Orientale'.
The opening chords for piano only are more akin to 1950's American jazz then an English sonata composed in 1926. A single movement of energy and not only the opening I was struck by the individualistic writing for piano. An excellent opening work.

Sir Henry Walford Davies: Violin Sonata No.2.
One of many composers famous in their lifetime who's reputation dies with them. If this sonata is anything to go by then his fall from grace is an injustice. I won't spoil the surprise of the second movement but a smile is guaranteed - I thought only Dvorak or Mozart would attempt similar.

Cyril Rootham: Violin Sonata.
A farm gate makes it's first appearance. The first two works are based on the central European tradition, this is the world of RVW. The Adagio is quite beautiful. 

Arthur Benjamin: Sonatina for Cello and Piano.
All change. Not only instrument but pace and performers. Benjamin has enjoyed plenty of mentions on the forum recently so a composer to be reckoned with. His Sonatina unlike the other works on the disc, is meditative. He is saying as much, if not more but in a simpler way. Many composers say profound things under the guise of a descriptive title of non-serious music. Mozart again!

A wonderful CD.       
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on July 30, 2020, 01:44:24 PM

Alerted to this CD by a poll by the senior reviewers at Musicweb International who were asked to list their favourite recordings. One contributor chose this which did stick out like a sore thumb against other choices.

I make it a policy not to comment on either performers or performance - who am I to judge. But it would be remiss for me not to do so in this case. Jacqueline Roche has a big beefy muscular sound, she, and her pianist partner, are totally committed to the music. This transcends playing the notes as their belief in the music's worth is obvious even to a non-technical person such as myself.

Joseph Holbrooke: Violin Sonata No.3 'Orientale'.
The opening chords for piano only are more akin to 1950's American jazz then an English sonata composed in 1926. A single movement of energy and not only the opening I was struck by the individualistic writing for piano. An excellent opening work.

Sir Henry Walford Davies: Violin Sonata No.2.
One of many composers famous in their lifetime who's reputation dies with them. If this sonata is anything to go by then his fall from grace is an injustice. I won't spoil the surprise of the second movement but a smile is guaranteed - I thought only Dvorak or Mozart would attempt similar.

Cyril Rootham: Violin Sonata.
A farm gate makes it's first appearance. The first two works are based on the central European tradition, this is the world of RVW. The Adagio is quite beautiful. 

Arthur Benjamin: Sonatina for Cello and Piano.
All change. Not only instrument but pace and performers. Benjamin has enjoyed plenty of mentions on the forum recently so a composer to be reckoned with. His Sonatina unlike the other works on the disc, is meditative. He is saying as much, if not more but in a simpler way. Many composers say profound things under the guise of a descriptive title of non-serious music. Mozart again!

A wonderful CD.     
Great review Lol. I might even have this CD somewhere  ::)
The only thing I know about Walford Davies is that he wrote the 'RAF March Past'! Having said that I seem to recall listening to his 'Everyman' after reading positive reviews but it was not my cup of tea.
I've always tended to enjoy Holbrooke's chamber music more than his orchestral works. I recall a very nice Marco Polo release of it. I think that it was used as background music to a Naxos audio-book of 'The Lady of the Camelias' which alerted me to it. Benjamin and Rootham appeal much more to me. I consider Benjamin's Symphony to be a great work as I do the two Rootham symphonies and an excellent EMI CD of his shorter orchestral and choral works. It was one of the last LPs I bought. Do you know Rootham's music? Great cover image as well.
EDIT: Amazon UK tells me that I ordered this CD in 2010. Now I have to find it!  ::)

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on July 30, 2020, 09:56:15 PM
The only thing I know about Walford Davies is that he wrote the 'RAF March Past'! Having said that I seem to recall listening to his 'Everyman' after reading positive reviews but it was not my cup of tea.
I've always tended to enjoy Holbrooke's chamber music more than his orchestral works. I recall a very nice Marco Polo release of it. I think that it was used as background music to a Naxos audio-book of 'The Lady of the Camelias' which alerted me to it. Benjamin and Rootham appeal much more to me. I consider Benjamin's Symphony to be a great work as I do the two Rootham symphonies and an excellent EMI CD of his shorter orchestral and choral works. It was one of the last LPs I bought. Do you know Rootham's music? Great cover image as well.
EDIT: Amazon UK tells me that I ordered this CD in 2010. Now I have to find it!  ::)

Walford Davies wrote the beautiful hymn - "God be in my head"

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on July 30, 2020, 11:19:56 PM
Walford Davies wrote the beautiful hymn - "God be in my head"
Thanks
Here it is:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UCik9Us_K2A

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on July 30, 2020, 09:56:15 PM

Thanks, Jeffrey. Too many CDs is an affliction without known cure! I do sympathise, but maybe my sympathy should be directed at your good wife. There are hits and misses in the what I think the "Championship" of British composers - the "Premier league" includes Elgar, RVW, Walton et al. As I like chamber music the CD label Dutton has been a treasure trove. Not all discs I have purchased have been great but all of interest. A good proportion are very good indeed and big kudos to Dutton as without them this music would not see the light of day. One of the above was a first recording and the other a first performance. I recall your agreement on the excellence of the Dorothy Howell Dutton recording of chamber works. There are many more and Dutton, a digital label equivalent of analogue Lyrita in my view, provides an endlessly interesting trawl of British and historical music. 

I have on LP the Rootham 1st Symphony C/W "The Birds of Rhiannon by Holbrooke. It is so long since I played it my memory of the piece is sketchy. I seem to recall a forceful work but I need to revisit both.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on July 31, 2020, 07:30:07 AM
Thanks, Jeffrey. Too many CDs is an affliction without known cure! I do sympathise, but maybe my sympathy should be directed at your good wife. There are hits and misses in the what I think the "Championship" of British composers - the "Premier league" includes Elgar, RVW, Walton et al. As I like chamber music the CD label Dutton has been a treasure trove. Not all discs I have purchased have been great but all of interest. A good proportion are very good indeed and big kudos to Dutton as without them this music would not see the light of day. One of the above was a first recording and the other a first performance. I recall your agreement on the excellence of the Dorothy Howell Dutton recording of chamber works. There are many more and Dutton, a digital label equivalent of analogue Lyrita in my view, provides an endlessly interesting trawl of British and historical music. 

I have on LP the Rootham 1st Symphony C/W "The Birds of Rhiannon by Holbrooke. It is so long since I played it my memory of the piece is sketchy. I seem to recall a forceful work but I need to revisit both.
Dorothy Howell and Rubbra's first SQ have been great Dutton discoveries for me. I shall be eternally grateful to them for introducing me to the symphonies of Stanley Bate, Richard Arnell and the orchestral music of Erik Chisholm. You have to hear Rootham's Second Symphony Lol. Completed a few days before Rootham died I find it very moving. He had to dictate the final pages to his wife, son and pupil Patrick (The Trees So High) Hadley:

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on July 31, 2020, 11:51:32 AM
Dorothy Howell and Rubbra's first SQ have been great Dutton discoveries for me. I shall be eternally grateful to them for introducing me to the symphonies of Stanley Bate, Richard Arnell and the orchestral music of Erik Chisholm. You have to hear Rootham's Second Symphony Lol. Completed a few days before Rootham died I find it very moving. He had to dictate the final pages to his wife, son and pupil Patrick (The Trees So High) Hadley:

Yes, the first two you mention are excellent. I have the Bate(4) and Arnell (1/6/7) but don't have 3rd which I suspect is the best. The "Nottingham" by Alan Bush is a favourite.
Thanks for Rootham tip which sounds interesting.