The British Composers Thread

Started by Mark, October 25, 2007, 12:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calyptorhynchus

Quote from: aukhawk on August 18, 2020, 02:28:30 PM
The symphony is an 18thC construct for 18thC manners and ideals - of course it's dead.  As of nearly 200 years ago.

Well, I see a continuity from the 1760s onwards myself. But even if you have an aesthetic philosophy that sees cultural productions as falling into particular periods with no long-term continuity, you still need a name for those musical compositions that some of us think are still being produced now and which are published with the word "symphony" on the cover. What would you call them "post-post-Romantic symphonies"?
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Roasted Swan

The symphony is an 18thC construct for 18thC manners and ideals - of course it's dead.  As of nearly 200 years ago.

I'll make sure I pass on your comment to every composer of the last 200 hundred years who has so mis-guidedly called any work a "symphony".  Who knew they were so wrong.

relm1

lol  :laugh:

aukhawk

;D  Most of their practitioners even dress as though at a funeral, and their audiences bahave as though they are at one.  We on this forum are strolling through a mausoleum.  Need I go on?

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aukhawk on August 19, 2020, 09:45:29 AM
;D  Most of their practitioners even dress as though at a funeral, and their audiences bahave as though they are at one.  We on this forum are strolling through a mausoleum.  Need I go on?
Pardon, but shouldn't (looking at your avatar) that be "Baahave"?   ;)

For me, it's not a mausoleum if the music is still being appreciated and also recorded.   ;D

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Roasted Swan

Quote from: aukhawk on August 19, 2020, 09:45:29 AM

Stir the pot vigorously and leave to simmer..........................

springrite

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 19, 2020, 12:48:28 PM

For me, it's not a mausoleum if the music is still being appreciated and also recorded.   ;D

Of course, ghosts are live beings.  :D
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Scion7

Well, just spent 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. on a Finzi binge .... time to go up, then!   :blank:
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Scion7 on August 21, 2020, 01:14:31 AM
Well, just spent 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. on a Finzi binge .... time to go up, then!   :blank:
Ouch!  ???  Do you often stay up all night to listen to music?

In any event, looking forward to your comments regarding his music; once you've had a chance to get some sleep! 

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

If I had the stamina, and I haven't, Finzi would be my choice.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

kyjo

We've all been there, my friend! ;) I assume you were able to make it through his entire output (and then some) in that time!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on August 21, 2020, 06:19:25 AM
If I had the stamina, and I haven't, Finzi would be my choice.
Those days are long gone for me!   ;)
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: kyjo on August 21, 2020, 08:30:22 AM
We've all been there, my friend! ;) I assume you were able to make it through his entire output (and then some) in that time!
I was also trying to think if Finzi produced enough music (at least that's been recorded) to last 6 hours?  Maybe some snack, etc., breaks thrown in?  ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Scion7

Finzi?  Well, coming from Manchester before the move across the pond, I'd heard him numerous times since childhood. It was just his turn in ye ole rotation.  A very lush, neo-Romantic tunesmith. Bad way to go - shame, that.  Also read up on his wife's career on the internet while perusing.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Irons

Music of the Four Countries.

Unlike other genres there are not too many concept albums in classical recordings. A simple idea but a good one to record four works with each representing a country of the United Kingdom. Enjoyable and tuneful music to relax with, I enjoyed the MacCunn Scottish and Harty Irish works most.

I must mention York Records, a most reliable place to shop. I ordered this LP yesterday morning and received in the post today!
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on August 26, 2020, 01:30:15 PM

Unlike other genres there are not too many concept albums in classical recordings. A simple idea but a good one to record four works with each representing a country of the United Kingdom. Enjoyable and tuneful music to relax with, I enjoyed the MacCunn Scottish and Harty Irish works most.

I must mention York Records, a most reliable place to shop. I ordered this LP yesterday morning and received in the post today!

That's a famous old disc. The Hamilton Harty is my favourite work on the disc. York Records sounds v good!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Papy Oli

Quote from: Irons on August 26, 2020, 01:30:15 PM

Well, that has just given me a feeling of déjà-vu... I read a mention about this exact LP and that combination of composers only yesterday I think in the Havergal Brian on Music Vol.1 I am reading at the moment.

Olivier

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on August 26, 2020, 01:38:54 PM
That's a famous old disc. The Hamilton Harty is my favourite work on the disc. York Records sounds v good!

I agree Jeffrey. Interesting that "Wild Geese" are not geese but Irish soldiers dreaming of Clare on the battle fields of Fontenoy in 1745.

Originally released in 1968, this is a 1984 re-master.

Jon at York Records bends over backwards to keep his customer happy. By far the best online source of ye old LP. I will PM you contact details as it may come in handy at some time.

Irons

Quote from: Papy Oli on August 26, 2020, 01:48:13 PM
Well, that has just given me a feeling of déjà-vu... I read a mention about this exact LP and that combination of composers only yesterday I think in the Havergal Brian on Music Vol.1 I am reading at the moment.

Were the comments positive, Olivier?