The British Composers Thread

Started by Mark, October 25, 2007, 12:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on November 10, 2020, 03:05:15 AM
Reading Pappy Oli's post about the destruction of the Arnold archive has had me thinking....

I am in the process of moving house and simply cannot take with me all the music/books etc I have acquired in the time I have lived here.  I have two archives of sheet music I am struggling to know what to do with.  One is Alec Rowley's [ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alec_Rowley ] personal archive of ALL his own published (and edited or arranged) music.  It is quite substantial, collected together by genre and bound into volumes by published date. 

The other is the manuscript originals archive of "Anton and his Orchestra".  This was another broadcasting band - just post war I think - http://www.mastersofmelody.co.uk/anton.htm
Anton and his Orchestra - Masters of Melody
Listen to 'Music While You Work' played by Anton and his Orchestra as broadcast on the BBC Light Programme at 10.31 a.m. on 25th September 1967
www.mastersofmelody.co.uk

This is quite a big archive - you can see his lineup in the picture on the paged linked above.  I would love to be able to revive this kind of thing but just can't imagine ever having the opportunity or budget or wider interest.  But to dump this would seem criminal.......   Again, any suggestions of people to approach?  The thing is we are on a bit of a timeline - we are meant to be away from her in less than 3 weeks (lockdown permitting!) so I need to get this off to someone asap!!  If anyone based in the south of England knows of people who might be interested let me know - I don't want any money for these - I just need to know they are going to a good home!
How about contacting the Royal College of Music or the Performing Rights Society for advice? Probably a dead end but I hope not. At the school where I work one of the dinner ladies in her mid 80s had a horrific experience of being evacuated as a child in world War Two. With my encouragement she wrote down her memories - I felt that this information should not be lost. I phoned and wrote to lots of local council archives and after a lot of frustration I found one who were prepared to accept her memories and add it to their archives so that it has a permanent home. Her memories have now been published as well. How about contacting relatives of the composer? Hassle I know. I heard that Malcolm Arnold news on the radio this morning - those archives should definitely not be lost.
Anyway, good luck.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Reading Pappy Oli's post about the destruction of the Arnold archive has had me thinking....

I am in the process of moving house and simply cannot take with me all the music/books etc I have acquired in the time I have lived here.  I have two archives of sheet music I am struggling to know what to do with.  One is Alec Rowley's [ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alec_Rowley ] personal archive of ALL his own published (and edited or arranged) music.  It is quite substantial, collected together by genre and bound into volumes by published date. 

The other is the manuscript originals archive of "Anton and his Orchestra".  This was another broadcasting band - just post war I think - http://www.mastersofmelody.co.uk/anton.htm
Listen to 'Music While You Work' played by Anton and his Orchestra as broadcast on the BBC Light Programme at 10.31 a.m. on 25th September 1967

This is quite a big archive - you can see his lineup in the picture on the paged linked above.  I would love to be able to revive this kind of thing but just can't imagine ever having the opportunity or budget or wider interest.  But to dump this would seem criminal.......   Again, any suggestions of people to approach?  The thing is we are on a bit of a timeline - we are meant to be away from her in less than 3 weeks (lockdown permitting!) so I need to get this off to someone asap!!  If anyone based in the south of England knows of people who might be interested let me know - I don't want any money for these - I just need to know they are going to a good home!
RS,

I saw this in your Wiki link:  Alec Rowley (13 March 1892 – 12 January 1958) was an English composer, organist, pianist, lecturer and writer on music. He composed a large number of works, mainly on a small scale and often of an educational nature though with some larger-scale orchestral and choral works. He was a dedicated teacher, broadcaster and writer; after his death the Alec Rowley Memorial Prize was established at Trinity College of Music.

Perhaps Trinity might be interested in the archive?

Good luck with everything!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Papy Oli on November 10, 2020, 01:51:02 AM
There's a potential destruction threat of Arnold's later life archives:

https://twitter.com/PetrocTrelawny/status/1326073886245523458

and the full article from The Times :

https://archive.is/hntYz
Wow!  That's shocking!  Surely some institution would want them?!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Papy Oli

RS,

Re the Anton archives, the website you posted made a reference to Lynne Chapman, the niece of Anton. Maybe the contact point of the website (Brian reynolds - brian@mastersofmelody.co.uk) can put you in contact with her or his estate if he has one ? Maybe the website owner might be interested in those archives himself ?

Otherwise, maybe someone at the National Archives or the British Library could guide you ?
Olivier

Papy Oli

Quote from: vandermolen on November 10, 2020, 03:16:11 AM
I heard that Malcolm Arnold news on the radio this morning - those archives should definitely not be lost.

Definitely. Just imagine if buried in there there's an unreleased score for "A Tiny Tiny Overture - for 3 spatulas, one Food Processor and two Colanders"  :o  ;D
Olivier

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Papy Oli on November 10, 2020, 05:21:53 AM
Definitely. Just imagine if buried in there there's an unreleased score for "A Tiny Tiny Overture - for 3 spatulas, one Food Processor and two Colanders"  :o  ;D

Absolutely! What a ghastly thought.

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 10, 2020, 05:04:29 AM
RS,

I saw this in your Wiki link:  Alec Rowley (13 March 1892 – 12 January 1958) was an English composer, organist, pianist, lecturer and writer on music. He composed a large number of works, mainly on a small scale and often of an educational nature though with some larger-scale orchestral and choral works. He was a dedicated teacher, broadcaster and writer; after his death the Alec Rowley Memorial Prize was established at Trinity College of Music.

Perhaps Trinity might be interested in the archive?

Good luck with everything!

PD
V good point PD.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on November 10, 2020, 03:16:11 AM
How about contacting the Royal College of Music or the Performing Rights Society for advice? Probably a dead end but I hope not. At the school where I work one of the dinner ladies in her mid 80s had a horrific experience of being evacuated as a child in world War Two. With my encouragement she wrote down her memories - I felt that this information should not be lost. I phoned and wrote to lots of local council archives and after a lot of frustration I found one who were prepared to accept her memories and add it to their archives so that it has a permanent home. Her memories have now been published as well. How about contacting relatives of the composer? Hassle I know. I heard that Malcolm Arnold news on the radio this morning - those archives should definitely not be lost.
Anyway, good luck.
Jeffrey,

That was mighty nice of you to encourage her to write down her memories and all of your leg (phone & writing) work!  What a swell guy!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 10, 2020, 06:23:38 AM
Jeffrey,

That was mighty nice of you to encourage her to write down her memories and all of your leg (phone & writing) work!  What a swell guy!  :)

PD

Thanks PD but there was a selfish motive as well. As a History teacher I felt strongly that her experiences, unpleasant though they were, should not be lost.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on November 10, 2020, 10:53:30 AM
Thanks PD but there was a selfish motive as well. As a History teacher I felt strongly that her experiences, unpleasant though they were, should not be lost.
Certainly not (re lost)....and no, you weren't being selfish!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on November 10, 2020, 10:53:30 AM

When I was student I used to lead an amateur orchestra that met on London's Southbank.  One of the violinist's was a very dapper older gentleman who was wonderfully charming.  In his youth he had played violin in a silent movie orchestra and the stories he told of that side of the music business were fascinating and of course are completely "lost" today.  One of my great regrets was not systematically writing down/recording his recollections - so I'm all for your work 'saving' that lady's experiences........

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on November 10, 2020, 12:36:31 PM
When I was student I used to lead an amateur orchestra that met on London's Southbank.  One of the violinist's was a very dapper older gentleman who was wonderfully charming.  In his youth he had played violin in a silent movie orchestra and the stories he told of that side of the music business were fascinating and of course are completely "lost" today.  One of my great regrets was not systematically writing down/recording his recollections - so I'm all for your work 'saving' that lady's experiences........
Thank you and PD for the kind words.

Irons

I am sure that would be a valuable addition to "The Tully Potter Collection".

http://www.tullypottercollection.com/
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Papy Oli

A petition has been launched on change.org to prevent the destruction of the Malcolm Arnold documents discussed yesterday. Here is the link if you want to sign it :

https://www.change.org/p/lord-chancellor-and-secretary-of-state-for-justice-the-rt-hon-robert-buckland-qc-save-the-court-papers-of-sir-malcolm-arnold?redirect=false
Olivier

vandermolen

Quote from: Papy Oli on November 11, 2020, 01:43:58 AM
A petition has been launched on change.org to prevent the destruction of the Malcolm Arnold documents discussed yesterday. Here is the link if you want to sign it :

https://www.change.org/p/lord-chancellor-and-secretary-of-state-for-justice-the-rt-hon-robert-buckland-qc-save-the-court-papers-of-sir-malcolm-arnold?redirect=false
Thanks Olivier - just signed it.

Irons

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

relm1

Quote from: Papy Oli on November 10, 2020, 01:51:02 AM
There's a potential destruction threat of Arnold's later life archives:

https://twitter.com/PetrocTrelawny/status/1326073886245523458

and the full article from The Times :

https://archive.is/hntYz

Sorry, I'm late to the party.  No!!! Some of us are musicologists and study this material in depth.  Even scraps can turn into revelatory understanding.  What can we do to stop it (and please don't say money)?  Sorry if this has already been covered, I'm working and haven't followed.

Roasted Swan

The first fruit of my resolution to buy less and listen to existing discs in my collection that I do not know well more.  This Howard Ferguson disc is an absolute cracker!  I have no memory of it before at all (shameful really....) 

Every work an absolute delight.  IF there is an issue it is that the influence of other British composers can be heard from Walton to Howells, Finzi etc.  But this is good exciting & rewarding music in its own right.  The setting of "A Lyke-wake" (the same poem Britten uses in his Serenade) is wonderfully atmospheric and rather menacing.  And all given the Chandos luxury treatment.  A disc to revisit soon for sure....