The British Composers Thread

Started by Mark, October 25, 2007, 12:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Roasted Swan on March 17, 2021, 12:27:29 AM
"tasteless" - how so?  My feeling has long been that this is an interesting work and one that deserves a proper/well played recording.  Some years ago I used to conduct an amateur orchestra and I got a set of parts of this work out for a repertoire/reading session.  This was before the one recording there is was released.  It made quite an impression on everyone - especially the "in Memoriam" movement.  I'm not saying its a work of undiscovered genius but its a lot better than your impression would suggest as far as I can tell.

Even if it there was a better performance and recording I don't think it would make much of a difference, or at least to me. I won't bother myself by listening to works that simply don't deserve it.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Maestro267 on March 17, 2021, 04:41:12 AM
It's certainly more interesting than, say, any of Stanford's symphonies.

I couldn't disagree more. Stanford's symphonies 3, 5 and 6 contain very fine music. Conservative? Yes, but also undeniably more attractive and cohesive than the Somervell.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Big David

Hello!  I've lurked on the forum for a while but this is the first time I've posted.
I'm English and a big fan of British composers, alongside Sibelius, Mahler, Bruckner, Beethoven, Wagner and Janacek.  I've really enjoyed reading this thread.  I have a query that is driving me mad and I wonder if someone can help.
I'm trying to think of the name of a contemporary Welsh composer who may live in Swansea.  I recall reading his website some time ago but for the life of me cannot recall his name.  I had thought it was Daniel Jones but as he died in 1983, it can't be him.  The composer I have in mind has written symphonies and I think he's worked in the USA.  Any idea who it might be?

Roasted Swan

Hi - Alun Hoddinott died in Swansea in 2008 - a fine composer.......

DaveF

Karl Jenkins, once of Soft Machine and now composer of rather New-Agey choral and orchestral works, was born near Swansea, and has certainly worked in the US.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Papy Oli

Olivier

steve ridgway

Quote from: DaveF on March 22, 2021, 05:43:22 AM
Karl Jenkins, once of Soft Machine and now composer of rather New-Agey choral and orchestral works

I didn't know he was in Soft Machine - when was that? I like the 3rd - 6th albums.

DaveF

Quote from: steve ridgway on March 22, 2021, 05:56:21 AM
I didn't know he was in Soft Machine - when was that? I like the 3rd - 6th albums.

Apparently, Six was the first he was involved with.  Bit of a change of direction after his arrival, possibly.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

steve ridgway

Quote from: DaveF on March 22, 2021, 06:04:07 AM
Apparently, Six was the first he was involved with.  Bit of a change of direction after his arrival, possibly.

Thanks; good for him that his career progressed well from that point. :)

Big David

Thanks for your suggestions but I don't think it's anyone mentioned.  This remains a mystery and it's driving me crackers.

Big David

I've been going through the list of Welsh composers on wikipedia and I believe the man I was thinking of is John Metcalf.  I misled myself earlier in several ways.  I thought he had worked in the USA but it's Canada; he has written several operas rather than symphonies; and I thought he had a more Welsh surname.  Is anyone familiar with his music?

At least I can sleep now.

vandermolen

Quote from: Big David on March 22, 2021, 05:13:57 PM
I've been going through the list of Welsh composers on wikipedia and I believe the man I was thinking of is John Metcalf.  I misled myself earlier in several ways.  I thought he had worked in the USA but it's Canada; he has written several operas rather than symphonies; and I thought he had a more Welsh surname.  Is anyone familiar with his music?

At least I can sleep now.
I'm glad that you solved the mystery. There are a number of Welsh composers whose music I greatly admire, especially Daniel Jones and Grace Williams. Welcome to the forum!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Big David

Quote from: vandermolen on March 23, 2021, 11:10:31 PM
I'm glad that you solved the mystery. There are a number of Welsh composers whose music I greatly admire, especially Daniel Jones and Grace Williams. Welcome to the forum!

Thank you!  This weekend I've listened to the 4th symphony by Stanley Bate and the 7th by Richard Arnell.  These are on a Dutton Epoch CD, with Martin Yates conducting the RSNO.  Very enjoyable.

vandermolen

Quote from: Big David on March 28, 2021, 07:45:15 AM
Thank you!  This weekend I've listened to the 4th symphony by Stanley Bate and the 7th by Richard Arnell.  These are on a Dutton Epoch CD, with Martin Yates conducting the RSNO.  Very enjoyable.
If you don't already know them I'd strongly recommend Bate's 3rd Symphony, on a wonderful CD with Chisholm's 'Pictures from Dante' and Arnell's epic Symphony No.3, and nos 4 and 5.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

relm1

Quote from: vandermolen on March 28, 2021, 12:23:21 PM
If you don't already know them I'd strongly recommend Bate's 3rd Symphony, on a wonderful CD with Chisholm's 'Pictures from Dante' and Arnell's epic Symphony No.3, and nos 4 and 5.

This is one of my favorite discs!

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on March 28, 2021, 03:49:09 PM
This is one of my favorite discs!
Mine too. I have many Dutton recordings but it is probably my favourite:

I've also greatly enjoyed this one (all three works) recently:

vandermolen

I have been listening with much pleasure to Lennox Berkeley's First Symphony (1940). I've seen it written-off as lightweight but it is nothing of the sort. His music reminds me of that of Walter Piston, very well-constructed, Neo-classical and 'elegant' but in his best works, as in the First Symphony and Concerto for Two Pianos there is great depth (especially in the slow movements) and an underlying slumbering power (Piston's 2nd and 6th symphonies are other examples). The First Symphony and Concerto for Two Pianos were once coupled together on one of my favourite Lyrita LPs. I'm sorry that Chandos decided to release their CDs of music by Berkeley, father and son. It probably seemed a clever idea but I'd have much rather had CDs of music by Lennox Berkeley alone. I met him once, when I asked him to sign my programme after a concert. I recall him as a very nice man who took an interest in whether of not I was a musician (sadly not). This CD also includes the lovely 'Serenade for Strings':

Maestro267

vandermolen

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on April 01, 2021, 10:54:21 PM
I have been listening with much pleasure to Lennox Berkeley's First Symphony (1940). I've seen it written-off as lightweight but it is nothing of the sort. His music reminds me of that of Walter Piston, very well-constructed, Neo-classical and 'elegant' but in his best works, as in the First Symphony and Concerto for Two Pianos there is great depth (especially in the slow movements) and an underlying slumbering power (Piston's 2nd and 6th symphonies are other examples). The First Symphony and Concerto for Two Pianos were once coupled together on one of my favourite Lyrita LPs. I'm sorry that Chandos decided to release their CDs of music by Berkeley, father and son. It probably seemed a clever idea but I'd have much rather had CDs of music by Lennox Berkeley alone. I met him once, when I asked him to sign my programme after a concert. I recall him as a very nice man who took an interest in whether of not I was a musician (sadly not). This CD also includes the lovely 'Serenade for Strings':

Impressed you met LB, Jeffrey. Not lightweight at all but sophisticated. His music is more in the French idiom then typically British. The Serenade is a great favourite of mine and one recording of the work from an unlikely source is the best, even better then Berkeley's own. A mono recording from the Decca golden period is outstanding with rhythm to die for.   
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.