The British Composers Thread

Started by Mark, October 25, 2007, 12:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on September 29, 2013, 10:44:55 AM
Thanks, Jeffrey. Will give it a listen when I have more time. :)

It's quite short and I would love to hear what you think.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on September 29, 2013, 10:53:22 AM
It's quite short and I would love to hear what you think.

It's hauntingly beautiful, another great WWI loss I wasn't even aware of. This Wikipedia entry is quite extensive: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Denis_Browne
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on September 29, 2013, 01:08:23 PM
It's hauntingly beautiful, another great WWI loss I wasn't even aware of. This Wikipedia entry is quite extensive: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Denis_Browne

V pleased that you liked it.  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: vandermolen on September 29, 2013, 10:40:08 AM
Here it is!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FuONgkBDBPc

Juxtaposed with a great painting by Caspar David Friedrich - one of my favourite artists.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention, Jeffrey. Gorgeous song. I've ordered the Hyperion CD (A Treasury of British Song).

Quote from: Christo on September 29, 2013, 01:08:23 PMThis Wikipedia entry is quite extensive: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Denis_Browne

Another tragic death of an artist in arguably the most senseless war ever fought. So fucking unnecessary, and sad.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

vandermolen

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 29, 2013, 01:30:55 PM
Thanks for bring it to our attention, Jeffrey. Gorgeous song. I've ordered the Hyperion CD (A Treasury of British Song).

Another tragic death of an artist in arguably the most senseless war ever fought. So fucking sad, and unnecessary.

Sarge

Totally agree Sarge. What a waste - angers me too.

mahler10th

Great Jeffrey.
I switched on to Bostridge live in Glasgow five or six years ago with Brittens Serenade for Tenor, Horn & Strings, so it was a pleasure to listen to this.  A pleasure and a sorrow to hear this fine and beautiful Lovelace poem set to music by William Denis Browne.  It is always a great delight to 'discover' things like this, thanks very much.
Looks like Hyperions 'A Treasury of British Song' has found another buyer here.

vandermolen

Quote from: Scots John on September 29, 2013, 01:55:42 PM
Great Jeffrey.
I switched on to Bostridge live in Glasgow five or six years ago with Brittens Serenade for Tenor, Horn & Strings, so it was a pleasure to listen to this.  A pleasure and a sorrow to hear this fine and beautiful Lovelace poem set to music by William Denis Browne.  It is always a great delight to 'discover' things like this, thanks very much.
Looks like Hyperions 'A Treasury of British Song' has found another buyer here.

Thanks John,

I bought the Hyperion VW 'Songs of Travel' CD which features the Browne work sung by Christopher Maltman. However, the song had such a big effect on me (similar to 'Christchild's Lullaby', the last of Novak's Eight Nocturnes) that I have ordered a second hand copy of the Bostridge version too.

It is one of the great pleasures of this forum to be able (on occasion) to share joyful musical discoveries with others, who may be receptive to them, especially when there is limited appreciation of one's musical tastes at home ::)

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on September 29, 2013, 10:30:41 AM
Wonderful discovery for me:

W Denis Browne (1885-1915, killed at Gallipoli in World War One).

Song:  'To Gratiana dancing and singing' a most lovely song which I heard on BBC Radio 3 last week. It brought tears to my eyes from the start. More moving than any song by VW in my view and VW is one of my very favourites. It features on several CDs.

Just finished listening to this! Very beautiful indeed! Such haunting harmonies are employed in it. I would definitely like to hear more from this composer. :)

Mirror Image

What did you think about that Stanford work The Bluebird, Kyle?

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 30, 2013, 06:23:49 PM
What did you think about that Stanford work The Bluebird, Kyle?

See the Stanford thread. :)

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on September 30, 2013, 06:22:39 PM
Just finished listening to this! Very beautiful indeed! Such haunting harmonies are employed in it. I would definitely like to hear more from this composer. :)

Glad you enjoyed it Kyle. Sadly, due to his premature death in World War One there isn't much else. Also, I think that a number of his compositions were destroyed after he died. Today I received the Ian Bostridge recording featured on You Tube, which I played continuously on my way home today - another lovely performance of this most moving work.

Sergeant Rock

A Treasury of English Song arrived today.

However, I just discovered the Browne song on the disc is not sung by Bostridge but Martyn Hill. That doesn't bother me (I prefer Hill) but I hope I didn't steer anyone wrong! My apologies if I did.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

vandermolen

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 04, 2013, 05:31:44 AM
A Treasury of English Song arrived today.

However, I just discovered the Browne song on the disc is not sung by Bostridge but Martyn Hill. That doesn't bother me (I prefer Hill) but I hope I didn't steer anyone wrong! My apologies if I did.

Sarge

Looks like a nice CD Sarge.

vandermolen

Here is another beautiful (for me at least) discovery - the Violin Concerto (1937) by Robin Milford (1903-59). It is a rather exquisite lyrical work, very much in the spirit of Vaughan Williams (his teacher) and even more so I think, Finzi ( his friend). I think that it has a more personal quality than we find in much of Vaughan Williams. Milford had a sad life - he had a very nervous disposition but volunteered for the Army the day the Second World War broke out but immediately suffered a nervous breakdown. His young son was tragically killed by a car in 1941 and Milford ultimately took his own life, shortly after the deaths of his two friends, Vaughan Williams and Finzi. The Violin Concerto is inspired and as soon as I listened to it I had to listen to it again.
[asin]B00JDCZZBK[/asin]
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D3f2gLEOw78

vandermolen

Quote from: vandermolen on September 29, 2013, 10:40:08 AM
Here it is!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FuONgkBDBPc

Juxtaposed with a great painting by Caspar David Friedrich - one of my favourite artists.

The original link to the beautiful W. Denis Browne song seems to no longer work so here is an alternative. If you've not heard this song I doubt very much that you will not enjoy it. The composer's loss in World War One is heart breaking and adds greater poignancy to his lovely song:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OXX5MLAK08A

And here is the somewhat faster Ian Bostridge version:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UjR91VzRxkQ

vandermolen

Quote from: sanantonio on July 31, 2015, 04:33:42 PM
Born today : Charles Wilfred Orr

Shorpshire songs especially good.

Thanks for alerting us to this. I wonder if he was related to Robin Orr whose Symphony in One Movement I greatly admire.

vandermolen

The Veale Symphony is especially good, shows the influence of Shostakovich (especially Symphony 11) and should appeal to admirers of Stanley Bate's fine third and fourth symphonies:
I'll try and post the cover in a minute  ::)
Ok it won't work. The CD is on Dutton:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/John-Gardner-Symphony-Hybrid-Multi-channel/dp/B01HBTM7EE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468359089&sr=8-1&keywords=Gardner+dutton

Mirror Image

cilgwyn

Already ordered that from the Dutton website after reading Dundonell's impassioned post at the Art Music Forum praising this release......particularly the John Veale. Warning! If you want to save DO NOT read his post if you are a fan of neglected British composers!! :( ;D I'm looking forward to it,though! :)