The British Composers Thread

Started by Mark, October 25, 2007, 12:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 12, 2016, 01:37:52 PM
Here you go, Jeffrey:

Thanks John! 😀
Can't stop listening to the Veale Symphony 2.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on July 12, 2016, 02:40:41 PM
Already ordered that from the Dutton website after reading Dundonell's impassioned post at the Art Music Forum praising this release......particularly the John Veale. Warning! If you want to save DO NOT read his post if you are a fan of neglected British composers!! :( ;D I'm looking forward to it,though! :)
It's a super release which you will enjoy I'm sure.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

I'm listening to the Gardner on cordless headphones. This is good stuff if you like Bax or Bainton. Very enjoyable. I didn't expect it to be this good,because everyone is so excited by the Veale. I'm going to want to hear his First Symphony now!
I haven't got to the Veale yet.........the one people are raving about. If the Garner is good,then presumably I am going to be blown away by what comes next!! ??? ;D

Here it is!! The first few bars strike me as more personal than the Gardner........

As they used to say. To be continued...........

cilgwyn

Yes,I can see whay you and Dundonnell mean. This is quite the main course!! If I had switched on Radio 3 and heard it I'd have been thinking hey,what's this? More Bate than Bax or Bainton. Also,as Dundonnell observed,it seems less in thrall to VW than Bate.
Anyway,I'll shutup now until I've finished listening to it!! ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on July 13, 2016, 02:13:23 AM
Yes,I can see whay you and Dundonnell mean. This is quite the main course!! If I had switched on Radio 3 and heard it I'd have been thinking hey,what's this? More Bate than Bax or Bainton. Also,as Dundonnell observed,it seems less in thrall to VW than Bate.
Anyway,I'll shutup now until I've finished listening to it!! ;D
Definitely Bate, also Arnell and odd moments of Kinsella. Christo should hear this one.  8)
The Gardner Symphony 1 on Naxos is even better than No.2 I think.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

I am not sure if I have posted on here earlier this year that I have come to adore the music of Birtwistle....recently I purchased the latest edition of Silbury Air. Wow I love this guy's music....

Also, on the topic of scores for British music, does anyone know where I can find anything by Helen Grime?

cilgwyn

Regarding the new Dutton cd. I was going to say Arnell,from the bits I've heard;but I don't know his work well enough,so I thought I'd leave him out! The Veale is quite a find. Exciting orchestration. It just shows what's out there just waiting to be recorded. My ears were glued to it! ??? ;D In fact,I actually prefer this to Bate. Veal strikes me as being more his own man.

According to Dundonnell,Gardner's First is the one to hear. I think he calls it his masterpiece. I like this one;so if that one is better?!! I just don't want people to be put off buying the cd because of all the raving about the Veale (albeit,rightly so). The Gardner is very worthwhile imho. It's not like the Boughton First coupled with Bainton's third,where you keep wishing it wasn't there! Well,I do......and I usually like Boughton. (To be fair it is an early work). In my opinion the Gardner makes a very enjoyable and satisfying first course.

One of Duttons best releases. And now to listen to the Veale symphony again!

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on July 13, 2016, 02:37:01 AMDefinitely Bate, also Arnell and odd moments of Kinsella. Christo should hear this one.  8)
The Gardner Symphony 1 on Naxos is even better than No.2 I think.

Oh dear. There we go again (checks bank account).  :-X
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

nathanb

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: nathanb on July 13, 2016, 11:04:25 AM
I love British music :) :) :)
OH god yes.

Ferneyhough
Finnissy
Adès
Helen Grime
Birtwistle
Davies
Sally Beamish
Turnage
Dillon
AND THE LIST GOES ON........

Christo

Quote from: ComposerOfAvantGarde on July 13, 2016, 02:05:23 PMAND THE LIST GOES ON........

Sure:
Brian
Vaughan Williams
Bliss
Bantock
Holst
Ireland
Bridge
Berkeley
Jacob
Rubbra
Finzi
Goossens
Walton
Rawsthorne
Alwyn
Tippett
Howells
Moeran
Arnold
Gipps
Simpson
Wordsworth
Maconchy
Bate
Cooke
Arnell &c.  :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

The new erato

Surely Grace Wiĺiams deserves not being under the &c in that list.

Christo

Quote from: The new erato on July 13, 2016, 11:49:13 PMSurely Grace Wiĺiams deserves not being under the &c in that list.
Nor do Daniel Jones, William Mathias, or Alun Hoddinott deserve my neglect.  :)

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on July 13, 2016, 11:44:37 PM
Sure:
Brian
Vaughan Williams
Bliss
Bantock
Holst
Ireland
Bridge
Berkeley
Jacob
Rubbra
Finzi
Goossens
Walton
Rawsthorne
Alwyn
Tippett
Howells
Moeran
Arnold
Gipps
Simpson
Wordsworth
Maconchy
Bate
Cooke
Arnell &c.  :)
No Bax?  :o

cilgwyn

Christo

vandermolen

vandermolen

Quote from: The new erato on July 13, 2016, 11:49:13 PM
Surely Grace Wiĺiams deserves not being under the &c in that list.
Her Symphony 2 is very fine.

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on July 13, 2016, 03:27:39 AM
Regarding the new Dutton cd. I was going to say Arnell,from the bits I've heard;but I don't know his work well enough,so I thought I'd leave him out! The Veale is quite a find. Exciting orchestration. It just shows what's out there just waiting to be recorded. My ears were glued to it! ??? ;D In fact,I actually prefer this to Bate. Veal strikes me as being more his own man.

According to Dundonnell,Gardner's First is the one to hear. I think he calls it his masterpiece. I like this one;so if that one is better?!! I just don't want people to be put off buying the cd because of all the raving about the Veale (albeit,rightly so). The Gardner is very worthwhile imho. It's not like the Boughton First coupled with Bainton's third,where you keep wishing it wasn't there! Well,I do......and I usually like Boughton. (To be fair it is an early work). In my opinion the Gardner makes a very enjoyable and satisfying first course.

One of Duttons best releases. And now to listen to the Veale symphony again!
Arnell's 3rd Symphony is wonderful as is No.5 which I find very moving in the last movement. Arnell's mother was killed in the Blitz in London and I'm sure this influenced the war time 3rd Symphony. No.5 is dedicated to his father.

The new erato