Shostakovich's Trio op 67

Started by CJB, October 25, 2007, 06:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CJB

I've been listening to Shostakovich's Trio 0p 67 & Sonata for Cello & piano -- Isaac Stern, yo Yo Ma & Emanuel Ax (on Sony) ---  I've never hard music like it -- it gets right inside you, particularly the Trio op 67. Did he compose anything else like this? What should I listen to?

btpaul674

I know I'm not one to make recommendations for Shostakovich, but I am playing op. 67 at school currently. The first movement's piano part reminds me of one of the parts from one of his ballet suites... but I don't know which one; I'll let you know.

Dancing Divertimentian

Try his 14th string quartet.

It'll knock you about...

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

mr_espansiva

Can't go wrong with the Piano Quintet - see if you can find Ashkenazy/Fitzwilliam Qt on Decca - amazing stuff!
Espansiva - the Inextinguishable desire for chocolate.

PaulR

you might like his other Sonatas, violin And Viola (The viola sonata was his last work).  I haven't really listened to the Piano Sonatas, so I can't give you an informed opinion on it. 

Also, try his String Quartets.  I have Fitzwilliam String Quartet, and Emerson String quartet sets.  I really like the Emerson version. :)

Hope this helps you out :)

some guy

Also try to get the first Beaux Arts trio recording of this, done while Shostakovich was still alive, I think.

Their later one is full of the same hushed, timid awe that all the other ones I've heard fall into: the "Oh my God, we're playing a great, profound masterpiece here, we'd better be reverent" trap.

The only recent recording I know that avoids that is the Eroica Trios scrappy recording, I believe it was their first disc.

The above is worth exactly two cents, too. I just checked.

quintett op.57

I suggest hearing it live, it's fabulous, at least with the Wanderer Trio.

To hear something of this kind, you should listen to some of the quartets.
Obviously, I love his quintet op.57, but It's a different kind of work in my opinion

vandermolen

I agree that the Piano Quintet is a logical follow on if you enjoy the Trio. I think that the Piano Quintet is one of Shostakovich's greatest works.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Guido

Yes to the piano quintet. I would probably not suggest the violin and viola sonatas which are pretty hard going compared to these two more youthful works. The piano trio is an undisputed classic of the chamber repertoire, and the cello sonata is also standard literature for cellists. I love both works, but I've always thought that the first movement of the cello sonata outshone the subsequent ones.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

George

Quote from: some guy on October 27, 2007, 03:38:31 PM
Also try to get the first Beaux Arts trio recording of this, done while Shostakovich was still alive, I think.

Could you give me the year and label on that one?

I have the 1974 Philips version and I love it.

some guy

Quote from: George on October 28, 2007, 05:43:02 PMI have the 1974 Philips version and I love it.

That's the one, George. It's as close to perfect as is possible to imagine!

George

Quote from: some guy on October 28, 2007, 07:20:41 PM
That's the one, George. It's as close to perfect as is possible to imagine!

Agreed.  8)

snyprrr

Quote from: some guy on October 27, 2007, 03:38:31 PM

Their later one is full of the same hushed, timid awe that all the other ones I've heard fall into: the "Oh my God, we're playing a great, profound masterpiece here, we'd better be reverent" trap.

The only recent recording I know that avoids that is the Eroica Trios scrappy recording, I believe it was their first disc.

The above is worth exactly two cents, too. I just checked.

Seconded.

Also, I have the Erato disc with Mintz playing the Violin & Viola Sonatas. THAT's the stuff right there! Can I get a witness? These pieces aren't as folksy as the Trio or Quintet, but they are beautiful meditations upon death, 30mins a piece.