Have a look at my shop - 2nd hand stuff for sale

Started by mr_espansiva, October 26, 2007, 04:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_espansiva

Espansiva - the Inextinguishable desire for chocolate.

AnthonyAthletic

What isn't sensible is Fact: "Buy it Now's" especially in classical and at the price the seller is willing (minimum) to sell them at....Hardly Ever Sell

And the listing money it costs just to watch them tick over into eBay oblivion....

The Average Joe on eBay wants an auction, the thrill of beating somebody by 22p is what alot of eBayers get off on, that last second snipe  ;D

There are thousands and thousands of pages of Buy it Now's which are lining the eBay pockets via listing fees; I tend to skip them when surfing/buying, fixed prices you will find are not for 80-90% of buyers.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

Mark

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on October 28, 2007, 06:13:18 AM
There are thousands and thousands of pages of Buy it Now's which are lining the eBay pockets via listing fees; I tend to skip them when surfing/buying, fixed prices you will find are not for 80-90% of buyers.

Tony, we disagree for only the second time. ;D

I must be, by your estimation, in that elusive 10%-20% who actively seek out 'Buy It Now' items on eBay. If there's a CD (it's normally always CDs ;D) I want, I don't want to mess about trying to outbid someone else by pence and risk losing a particularly sought-after item. In this respect, I'm not a real 'eBayer'. I hate auctions, and tend to treat eBay as just another source of sellers. So, when I see 'Buy It Now', a big smile speads across my face. :)

Nice shop, BTW, mr_espansiva. ;)

AnthonyAthletic

Its items such as the Rattle Mahler 10th, who would consider this at £17 inc p&p (original or not) when you can get the whole set for £19?  Lupu's Schubert 2 sonatas £6...or all of his Schubert on a 4cd set for £8?  Its only my pennorth, and advice, time will tell what sells and what doesn't.  In the world of eBay, most classical sellers think their cds are of much higher value when they aren't...been there myself.  Letting some full price recordings go for under £3 and under £2 with a bit of p&p which makes no sense at all to sell them in the first place....best to do a Harry and pass them on rather than make a quid after listing, selling and final eBay/paypal fees.

I understand some eBayers need to buy 'first issues' and have no qualms at doing so.

The percentage was a ball park figure, could be more who wont buy em now.  And a high percentage of buyers who won't even browse buy it now's because the whole idea of auctioning is moot.

The seller should set a buy it now figure and an opening bid figure, and possibly offer the 'best offer' option.

In this day of cheap cds and downloads.  1.  The mail order private seller is now defunct, because everyone's a seller and 2.  The age of the download is on us :D

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

Mark

You speak sense, Tony: I think the prices in this shop are a little on the high side for me, personally, particularly when I know of other eBay sellers with similar items at more tempting (i.e. lower) prices.

To give you an example, I collect (and I'm probably in a significant minority here) BBC Music magazine cover CDs from back issues - only 45 discs to go to complete the back-collecting, incidentally. These have no instrinsic worth, but they're valuable to me simply because I choose to collect them. This said, I'm not going to pay stupid money. Up to £3 (the price in our local Oxfam) per CD is my limit, and for that I want P+P, too. An eBay seller who I sometimes buy from had seven CDs from the BBC Music series which I didn't own - all on 'Buy It Now' - and so I negotiated on cost and shipping and got the lot for just over £10 delivered.

In short, if the price is right, stuff will sell. And with classical CDs especially, it doesn't do to price yourself out of the market - eBay and Amazon sellers can be found who WILL do you a cheaper deal on many items.

mr_espansiva

Thanks for your comments - however, I would say the following:

• I research *most* of my sales so that I undercut Amazon (UK) or other sellers. Some slip through - e.g. the Lupu and the Rattle Mahler 10. But on the whole, the prices are lower than other sellers.
  • I am British so I aim my prices at British sellers primarily - prices vary as re-issues and deletions vary across the world.
  • My postage costs are sensible. It always irritates me to see someone charging £2.50 for postage on a single disc. I charge what it costs.
  • I often use the 'Best Offer' to draw a potential buyer - it allows a certain amount of the thrill of the auction - the buyer feels that they have bagged a bargain.
  • I offer detailed and accurate descriptions of my discs - for instance, the soloists, recording date, country of manufacture (some people ask me this otherwise) etc..., and that takes time and effort.
  • I usually have some stuff on auction at any given time. The idea is that it raises the profile of my shop and brings punters in by inviting them to view my other sales.
  • I try and find desirable and good quality discs - although I realise that some of my stock is easily obtainable from other sources.
  • I often source and sell stuff that I love - and that way I know the quality - for instance, YP Tortelier's Hindemith recordings on Chandos or the superb Conifer disc of Walton/Ireland/Bridge piano and orchestra works.
  • I am usually very quick at delivering items - no waiting for ages like some sellers - much of my stuff will be sent the same day as payment clears (which in the case of PayPal means that buyers often receive their discs the following day) 0:)

BTW, I have a new auction starting later today which has 15 Supraphon CD's in superb condition :o, featuring the Czech Philharmonic under Karel Ancerl. Also, several EMI Studio discs featuring Beecham conducting. This includes his famous Schubert 3, 5 & 6 in a superb clean pressing and a rare Beethoven Ruins of Athens.

Que

Quote from: mr_espansiva on October 29, 2007, 01:04:24 AM
  • I try and find desirable and good quality discs - although I realise that some of my stock is easily obtainable from other sources.
  • I often source and sell stuff that I love

I make of this that you are a professional/commercial seller and not just a member selling some items from his personal collection.

I'm under the impression that this "Buy, Swap and Sell" section of the forum is intended for the latter category and not for commercial sellers.... ::)

Q

PerfectWagnerite

How come anytime someone on this forum lists stuff on Ebay it is always someone from the UK. Doesn't anyone in the US sell stuff on Ebay???

mr_espansiva

Quote from: Que on October 29, 2007, 10:22:07 AM
I make of this that you are a professional/commercial seller and not just a member selling some items from his personal collection.

I'm under the impression that this "Buy, Swap and Sell" section of the forum is intended for the latter category and not for commercial sellers.... ::)
No, I'm an amateur that trades on a very small scale - just a hobby. Some of the stuff comes from my personal collection whilst other stuff comes from elsewhere, which I try and sell at a profit so that I can buy more stuff! Actually, I'm currently trying to raise enough money for a Canon EOS 40D DSLR.

Mark

Quote from: mr_espansiva on October 30, 2007, 12:02:38 AM
Actually, I'm currently trying to raise enough money for a Canon EOS 40D DSLR.

You can probably pick one up cheap on eBay. ;)

mr_espansiva

Solitary Wanderer

I too, can't be bothered with auctions. I prefer the 'buy now' option.

I've found that used classical music cd's have very little value; some stores refuse to trade them 'cause they don't sell.

Sometimes I 'do a Harry' and give them away to family; my dear old Mum loves getting my off-cast discs  ;D

Thus far I've never bought anything of Ebay  :o

But I do browse sometimes.

We have an Ebay site in NZ called TradeMe [exactly the same principle] which I use alot - mainly for selling junk.

I like Amazon for buying my cds. Heaps of sellers, great prices and huge selection  :)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

m_gigena

Quote from: Mark on October 30, 2007, 12:07:25 AM
You can probably pick one up cheap on eBay. ;)

Provided there's an auction about it.

m_gigena

Quote from: Mark on November 05, 2007, 03:48:39 AM
Er ... or a 'Buy it now'. ;D

Depending on your own concavity.   >:D

Quote from: WikipediaRisk aversion is the reluctance of a person to accept a bargain with an uncertain payoff rather than another bargain with a more certain, but possibly lower, expected payoff.

Montpellier

Usually only go for Buy it Now if at all.

But I hate eBay and can't abide having to hang about for an auction to end; can't be bothered to get the cheating software so if I'm forced to bid, I bid my maximum and that's it.  Whatever item can always be got somewhere else.

I also can't abide ebay's rules, policies and their ludicrous costs.   From the amount of cosmetic changes they make to their site, far more than functional changes, I presume they have a bunch of gash programmers sitting around being expensive and scratching their bums, and have to give them something to do.   

But ok, I'll have a look at your shop on the offchance.   

PerfectWagnerite

I think Ebay is for suckers. It would have to be a STEAL for me to buy on Ebay. Basically if it is in print I don't pay more than $4 or $5 for (shipping included). Nobody in their right mind is going to pay $10 or more for a CD that is in print.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on November 05, 2007, 03:52:48 PM
I think Ebay is for suckers. It would have to be a STEAL for me to buy on Ebay. Basically if it is in print I don't pay more than $4 or $5 for (shipping included). Nobody in their right mind is going to pay $10 or more for a CD that is in print.

Not necessarily disagreeing with the sentiment, but I shop very intensely before buying, and there are plenty of CD's in print that I can't find for under $10. So I would be interested in your method... :)

8)

----------------
Now playing: Verhulst Symphonies - Resident Orchestra of The Hague / Bamert - Verhulst Symphony in e Op 46 4th mvmt
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 05, 2007, 04:01:55 PM
Not necessarily disagreeing with the sentiment, but I shop very intensely before buying, and there are plenty of CD's in print that I can't find for under $10. So I would be interested in your method... :)

8)

----------------
Now playing: Verhulst Symphonies - Resident Orchestra of The Hague / Bamert - Verhulst Symphony in e Op 46 4th mvmt
I am not saying I haven't paid more than $4 or $5 for a CD that is in-print. But what ALWAYS happens is that I regret paying the $8 or $9 that I paid because invariably I find the same CD at a used CD store or Amazon or on Ebay AGAIN for a lower price. Last month I paid $8 for the Giulini/Bonney Brahms German Requiem only to find it for $4 at a used CD store. AHHHH !