Have a look at my shop - 2nd hand stuff for sale

Started by mr_espansiva, October 26, 2007, 04:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on November 05, 2007, 04:11:25 PM
I am not saying I haven't paid more than $4 or $5 for a CD that is in-print. But what ALWAYS happens is that I regret paying the $8 or $9 that I paid because invariably I find the same CD at a used CD store or Amazon or on Ebay AGAIN for a lower price. Last month I paid $8 for the Giulini/Bonney Brahms German Requiem only to find it for $4 at a used CD store. AHHHH !

Ah, entiendo ahora. Well, last week, I bought (on eBay) the Brüggen/Zehetmair Beethoven Violin Concerto. This has been on my Amazon wish list for 3 years. Amazon is selling it for $39 (friggin' unbelievable!) and the best price I have ever seen from a Marketplace seller is around $22. I got it for $14.55 inc. S & H. I consider this to be a great price. It's so strange, a single disk from a major label (Philips) going for those prices. Anyway, there you have it: one of the extremely rare times that I spent more than $10 for a still in print disk. My patience is limited to three years, it seems. :D

8)

----------------
Now playing: Gluck Harmonie - The Albion Ensemble - Gluck Iphigenie en Tauride for Winds 4th mvmt
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Que

You guys in the USA are soooo spoilt!  :)

Considering that a full price CD of one of the smaller labels here goes for a whopping €22 in a shop and €19 on-line, a full price CD under €12 looks like a quite bargain! ::) (€12 = $17)

Q

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Que on November 05, 2007, 04:40:08 PM
You guys in the USA are soooo spoilt!  :)

Considering that a full price CD of one of the smaller labels here goes for a whopping €22 in a shop and €19 on-line, a full price CD under €12 looks like a quite bargain! ::) (€12 = $17)

Q

Yes, Q, it's true that you guys pay more than we do. I spoke with a friend in Zurich this evening and he told me he went down to a shop over weekend and disks there ranged from $30-50 US. OTOH, I must say this: you guys have infinitely more variety than we do. A large %age of the disks you get, especially "other than mainstream" never make it to us at any price. So we end up buying them at your price + shipping which is usually exorbitant. If I buy from jpc, for example, I have to buy quite a lot of disks to justify the €15 shipping charge! Or the disk I bought from Vienna recently that was only €6, but the shipping was €17. However, it was not to be had in the USA, so if I wanted it (I did), then that's what it cost. :-\

8)

----------------
Now playing: Krommer Wind Partita - Prague & Miami Wind Quintets - Krommer Partita in c for Wind Sextet 2nd mvmt - Adagio

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

mahlertitan

and, you know what, since the dollar is depreciating in value, it's the perfect time to spend some money. You are better off with Cds than U.S dollars!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: MahlerTitan on November 05, 2007, 05:14:33 PM
and, you know what, since the dollar is depreciating in value, it's the perfect time to spend some money. You are better off with Cds than U.S dollars!

I like the way you think, MT. "Classical music replaces gold as world monetary standard!"  :D

----------------
Now playing: Krommer Oboe Chamber Music - Tagore String Trio / Sarah Francis / Barritt - Krommer Quintet in C for Oboe & Strings Op VII:12 4th mvmt - Allegro

Lady Chatterley

mr_espansiva

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on November 05, 2007, 03:52:48 PM
I think Ebay is for suckers. It would have to be a STEAL for me to buy on Ebay. Basically if it is in print I don't pay more than $4 or $5 for (shipping included).

In that case, there are an awful lot of suckers out there. I am one for a start, it seems. I can't get to cheap stores and there are no online stores that sell at anywhere near these prices. If you take any of my discs at random, I doubt if you will find the same thing cheaper anywhere else unless someone is auctioning the same item.

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on November 05, 2007, 03:52:48 PM
Nobody in their right mind is going to pay $10 or more for a CD that is in print.

What kind of a comment is that?  Here in the UK you pay a minimum of $20 for a brand new premium label disc, such as Hyperion, Chandos, Lyrita. More often than not, this rises to $25. Nobody in their right mind is going to pay that sort of price when you can buy from ebay shops at half the price, are they?

And what about all the stuff that isn't in print. I have picked up loads of discs on ebay that are otherwise unobtainable. My library is teeming with stuff that the record companies are no longer selling - like the Maxwell Davies Collins discs or rarities from the Unicorn Kanchana label. I wouldn't be able to get these without ebay, especially when I can't get to secondhand shops.

Anyway, a quick plug - less than two days left on my Supraphon/Czech PO/Ancerl discs - 15 mint rarities, some pressed in Czechoslovakia! Ever heard Vycpalek's Czech Requiem - here's your chance! V(http://search.stores.ebay.co.uk/IRJENT-Classics_Ancerl_W0QQfciZQ2d1QQfclZ3QQfsnZIRJENTQ20ClassicsQQfsooZ2QQfsopZ2QQsaselZ122308147QQsofpZ0)
Espansiva - the Inextinguishable desire for chocolate.