That One Symphony That You Never Get Tired Of....

Started by wolverine, April 19, 2007, 10:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Operahaven

A symphony I never tire of ?

Mendelssohn's  Scottish  Symphony.

This symphony touches the deepest part of my soul....

I worship Debussy's gentle revolution  -  Prelude To The Afternoon of A Faun  -  for its mostly carefree mood and its rich variety of exquisite sounds.

gmstudio

Vaughan Williams 7

Beethoven 8

Hovhaness 2

Mahler 9

Beethoven 9

ChamberNut

Hard to name just one, so I'll name a handful that I certainly never tire of hearing:

Mozart's 40th

Beethoven's 3rd

Brahms' 1st

Mendelssohn's 5th Reformation

BachQ

Mozart Sym no. 37 .......

I've NEVER tired of it ...........

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dm on January 11, 2008, 07:40:44 PM
Mozart Sym no. 37 .......

I've NEVER tired of it ...........

;D

I can't join in: there are simply too many.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Harry

BachQ

Quote from: Jezetha on January 12, 2008, 01:05:02 AM
;D

I can't join in: there are simply too many.

What's your favorite Karajan recording of no. 37?  Mine was Karajan with Berlin Philharmonic, but now it's  Karajan with Italian Radio Symphony Orchestra Turin.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dm on January 12, 2008, 02:52:48 AM
What's your favorite Karajan recording of no. 37?  Mine was Karajan with Berlin Philharmonic, but now it's  Karajan with Italian Radio Symphony Orchestra Turin.

No Karajan for me in this particular piece. The historic Toscanini one is too fast, and Celibidache drags a bit. No, give me Klemperer with the Philharmonia (1962) any day.

It's a mystery why No. 37 isn't performed more often.

(Btw 'I can't join in' referred to this thread, not to performances of No. 37.)
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

O Delvig

Quote from: Jezetha on January 12, 2008, 03:16:37 AM

It's a mystery why No. 37 isn't performed more often.

I recently saw it on a double bill with  Sibelius' 8th. The tension at the end of the concert was incredible! After the applause subsided, we were treated with an encore of Cage's 4'33. Some of the old farts in the audience who had obviously only come for the Mozart couldn't grasp it's post-modern aspect, however, and their deliberate coughing really ruined the performance for me.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: spaghetti on January 12, 2008, 08:26:43 AM
I recently saw it on a double bill with  Sibelius' 8th. The tension at the end of the concert was incredible! After the applause subsided, we were treated with an encore of Cage's 4'33. Some of the old farts in the audience who had obviously only come for the Mozart couldn't grasp it's post-modern aspect, however, and their deliberate coughing really ruined the performance for me.

Too bad about the Cage, but you were lucky with the Mozart and the, also sadly-neglected, Sibelius 8th. Count your blessings, spaghetti!  0:)

Chrone

A newbie's choices:

Shostakovich 8
Mozart 25 ("the other G minor")
Mendelssohn 4 (Italian)
Mahler 1 (double-teamed with "Songs of a Wayfarer")
Beethoven 9 (and 5 and 7 and... well all of them)
Messiaen Turangalila
Tchaikovsky 4 (especially the bluegrass movement)
Saint-Saens 3

greg

QuoteThat One Symphony That You Never Get Tired Of....
too many to list, honestly  ;D

BachQ

Grazioso

I can temporarily tire of any music, but over the years I do find myself returning with pleasure and interest particularly to the symphonies of LvB, Bruckner, Mahler, and recently Pettersson. For instance, I can eagerly go back to Mahler's 3rd or 7th repeatedly despite having heard his canon many times over many years.

But ultimately, I generally prefer to hear unfamiliar symphonies since it's my favorite genre, and I've been pursuing a project to collect and hear the complete symphonic cycles of as many composers as possible.
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

greg

Quote from: Dm on January 12, 2008, 05:02:10 PM
........ take a stab, Greg .........
well, there's always the complete symphonies by Stephen King, the 3rd and 7th by Tony Hawk, and the Symphony 66.6 by Johnny Depp. Now that one is a killer!

Ephemerid

Shostakovich: Symphony No. 10
Stravinsky: Symphony of Psalms

anasazi

NEVER get tired of?  Probably one of Beethoven's, perhaps the 7th.  Mozart 39?  Difficult choices. That is what is great about having a lot of CDs.

MN Dave

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on January 13, 2008, 02:44:20 PM
well, there's always the complete symphonies by Stephen King, the 3rd and 7th by Tony Hawk, and the Symphony 66.6 by Johnny Depp. Now that one is a killer!

You entertain me.

Haffner

You know, I don't seem to ever get tired of HvK's 1962 recording of LvB's 1st Symphony, as weird as that may sound. Also Bizet's Symphony in C.

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"