Strauss' Four Last Songs / Vier Letzte Lieder

Started by Manish, October 27, 2007, 10:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on April 27, 2022, 10:26:13 AM
But you do like the Schwarzkopf/Szell, which would also be my desert island choice.

Sure, but my point is our tastes don't always coincide and since Piau has a lighter voice in Vier letzte Lieder, then it would stand to reason that the performance may not to be to your taste.

KevinP

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 27, 2022, 09:43:23 AM
Which Lucia Popp performance are you referring to? She's done two

Whichever one is in this box, which I can't access right now.

MusicTurner

Quote from: KevinP on April 27, 2022, 10:16:29 PM

Whichever one is in this box, which I can't access right now.

Discogs says Tennstedt/LPO about that box. There's at least a Tilson Thomas and a Solti live too, both lesser known.

Should I grab one right know, I'd probably take Margiano/De Waart on Brilliant Classics. Generally, she has a silvery, lighter voice. Among the others, I also have Norman/Masur, Janowitz/Karajan, Kanawa/Davis, Sass/Lukacs, Schwarzkopf/Szell etc. But IMO, probably none are perfect throughout, and they all have flaws. I don't think I have a Popp - maybe one will pop in later.

Mirror Image

Quote from: MusicTurner on April 27, 2022, 10:36:20 PM
Discogs says Tennstedt/LPO about that box. There's at least a Tilson Thomas and a Solti live too, both lesser known.

I think you're wrong about the Popp/Solti. Was it commercially available? I've never even heard of it. But Popp/Tennstedt and Popp/MTT definitely. I own both.

MusicTurner

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 28, 2022, 06:49:47 AM
I think you're wrong about the Popp/Solti. Was it commercially available? I've never even heard of it. But Popp/Tennstedt and Popp/MTT definitely. I own both.

It exists at least as a DVD release from Decca-Unitel, 'Sir Georg Solti - The Maestro'. Can also be seen/heard on you-t.

bhodges

My faves, with a pretty wide range. There are very few recordings that I've not liked (and now can't even think of any). When I'm not satisfied, it's not usually the singer, but the conductor's phrasing and tempi, e.g., too fast.

Janowitz / Karajan (my intro to the piece)
Fleming / Thielemann
Popp / Tennstedt
Norman / Masur
Isokoski / Janowski
Schwarzkopf / Szell

--Bruce

KevinP

Quote from: KevinP on April 25, 2022, 09:40:38 PM
Have:
Schwarzkopf (Ackerman and Szell)
Te Kanawa
Lucia Popp
Leontyne Price
Janowitz

Ordered:
Jessye Norman
Isokoski

I'm glad I didn't listen to the advice here and order the della Casa recording. Turns out I have a copy in the 55-disc Decca Sound box. Each disc is a different singer and I can never remember what's in it. Will be spinning this tonight.

CTRL-f also revealed a second (or more accurately, first) Janowitz.

In a way I miss the days of knowing everything I have; in another, it's fun to discover things already on your shelves.

Mirror Image

Quote from: MusicTurner on April 28, 2022, 06:59:23 AM
It exists at least as a DVD release from Decca-Unitel, 'Sir Georg Solti - The Maestro'. Can also be seen/heard on you-t.

No wonder I never heard of it. I thought you were talking about a CD recording. :-\

Wendell_E

Discussion of the songs elsewhere led me to this surprising version:

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

LKB

Now that does look interesting
Quote from: Wendell_E on May 14, 2023, 03:52:01 AMDiscussion of the songs elsewhere led me to this surprising version:

Now that does look interesting, l know Freni only for her Verdi and Puccini. Thanks for posting the link.  8)
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...