Éditions L'Oiseau-Lyre resurrected!

Started by Que, October 28, 2007, 01:53:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Quote from: Renfield on November 18, 2007, 03:07:47 AM
Many of the above discs I've recently noticed are available from my local record store; so anything in there for the less-hardcore "traditionalist"? ;D

Or should I pass, for now? :)

For mainstream repertoire: the two issues of Bach's harpsichord concertos with Hogwood & Rousset. :)

Q

prémont

Quote from: Que on November 18, 2007, 02:55:46 AM
Just checked US-Amazon as well: that would - with current exchange rates - amount to €42 including p&p!

Oh yes $55.
But the cause for not considering US firms (unless other possibilities are rightout impracticable) is the fact, that I have to pay about 35 % tax and official administration to the Danish authorities of orders from the US. So $55 including tax and postage will be > $80 which equals about 55 Euro´s, equalling the 49 Euro´s at Amazon UK which including postage will become a similar amount.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Que

Quote from: premont on November 18, 2007, 03:16:08 AM
Oh yes $55.
But the cause for not considering US firms (unless other possibilities are rightout impracticable) is the fact, that I have to pay about 35 % tax and official administration to the Danish authorities of orders from the US. So $55 including tax and postage will be > $80 which equals about 55 Euro´s, surpassing the 49 Euro´s at Amazon UK.

I guess I'm quite lucky then! :)
Dutch customs only take net value into account (and the rate is 20%), since value is below €40, they likely will let it pass unhindered.

I would have never guessed that my interest in classical music would ever led to so much arithmetic! :o

Q

Renfield

Quote from: Que on November 18, 2007, 03:10:59 AM
For mainstream repertoire: the two issues of Bach's harpsichord concertos with Hogwood & Rousset. :)

Q

Then I will look into these for now, and perhaps stake out the rest when I'm more familiar with that part of the repertory. Thank you. :)

prémont

Quote from: Que on November 18, 2007, 03:20:46 AM
I would have never guessed that my interest in classical music would ever led to so much arithmetic! :o

Neither would I, but regarding the number of CDs I purchase every month, price-conciousness is a vital part of the project.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Que

Quote from: premont on November 18, 2007, 03:29:09 AM
Neither would I, but regarding the number of CDs I purchase every month, price-conciousness is a vital part of the project.

Maybe some genius on the forum could write for us a little calculating programme to do the arithmetics on various exchanges rates, p & p rates, custom thresholds (including or excluding postage) and import duties?  :D

Q

Harry Collier

Quote from: premont on November 18, 2007, 03:16:08 AM
Oh yes $55.
But the cause for not considering US firms (unless other possibilities are rightout impracticable) is the fact, that I have to pay about 35 % tax and official administration to the Danish authorities of orders from the US. So $55 including tax and postage will be > $80 which equals about 55 Euro´s, equalling the 49 Euro´s at Amazon UK which including postage will become a similar amount.

I receive around 6 CDs per week from Taiwan, China, South America, North America and Japan. Never tax, and postage is only around $2. The secret? Have everything sent small packet airmail without the easily replaceable jewel cases. Letters do not attract import duties, nor taxes. It's a bit difficult to persuade American suppliers not to use courier services such as UPS or FedEx (for a CD!). So in that case have things shipped to an American friend for onward shipping.

Harry

Quote from: Que on November 17, 2007, 11:57:17 PM
I missed a few. But I guess, this must be it - for now!
Any recommendations? :) That 12CD Dowland set with Rooley is looking tasty... :D

Q

Again all of them I have, and like Premont said, the Dowland is a must, both Handel cd's, wonderful, not to keen on the recorder thingie, and lest I forget, the Telemann is a must too.......

FideLeo

Quote from: Harry on November 18, 2007, 09:16:11 AM
Again all of them I have, and like Premont said, the Dowland is a must...

The Dowland set is most worthy for the songs, most of which are presented as how they were published by the composer, i.e. for two or more voices instead of the "solo lute songs" format.  Those allegric to the voices of Emma Kirkby and Martyn Hill should perhaps stay away, however.  What is not adequate in Consort of Music's Monteverdi works perfect for their Dowland - the Brits certainly got the Northern gloom part right.
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

prémont

Quote from: fl.traverso on November 18, 2007, 01:29:14 PM
The Dowland set is most worthy for the songs, most of which are presented as how they were published by the composer, i.e. for two or more voices instead of the "solo lute songs" format.  Those allegric to the voices of Emma Kirkby and Martyn Hill should perhaps stay away, however.  What is not adequate in Consort of Music's Monteverdi works perfect for their Dowland - the Brits certainly got the Northern gloom part right.

Right, but I find the ensemble pieces (Lacrimae at most of course) and the harpsichord arrangements most interesting too, and the lute pieces aren´t that bad, even if played by a mixed bag of lutenists. As a comprehensive, not to say "overcomplete" collection it is without equal, and it represents a good and (relative cheap) starting point.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

FideLeo

Quote from: premont on November 18, 2007, 02:54:14 PM
Right, but I find the ensemble pieces (Lacrimae at most of course) and the harpsichord arrangements most interesting too, and the lute pieces aren愒 that bad, even if played by a mixed bag of lutenists. As a comprehensive, not to say "overcomplete" collection it is without equal, and it represents a good and (relative cheap) starting point.

It's hard to find a more complete collection of "lacrimae" adaptations on disc than one found here, for example.   :)
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Lilas Pastia

Haydn's 8 nocturnes played by Alan Hacker and The Music Party. This was a 2lp set. It's one of the gems of the Haydn discography. It's been on a pair of Decca discs at one time, long oop alas.

Wish THAT would be reissued....

Valentino

And the Coin Haydn cello concerti, please. 
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

rubio

Quote from: Que on November 16, 2007, 09:38:40 PM

Q

Any comments on this one? Would it be a good introduction to Rameau's orchestral music?
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Que

Quote from: rubio on March 30, 2008, 03:24:35 AM
Any comments on this one? Would it be a good introduction to Rameau's orchestral music?

I have it in my shopping cart as well! Sampled it ages ago - when it was full price issue and I was a pennyless student. Liked it very much, back then. But I'm sure other with more recent experience with it will comment.  :)

Taking the opportunity for an update on recent reissues.
I like the look of that Mozart concertos with Hogwood and the Blow/Venus & Adonis.

Q

FideLeo

Quote from: rubio on March 30, 2008, 03:24:35 AM

Yes.  And so is Minkowski's "Imaginary Symphony" album.

The new erato

Quote from: fl.traverso on March 30, 2008, 05:03:56 AM
Yes.  And so is Minkowski's "Imaginary Symphony" album.
The Rameau is essential. As is the Blow; one of my favorite smallscale baroque operas. And the Pickett Orfeo is very attractive (have them all since many years).

Have bought the Geminiani cello sonatas and have enjoyed them immensely. 

hautbois

I find Hogwood's output generally on the less inspired and bland side...for the Mozart concertos, there are many many better performances. The Rameau is a great cd! But Bruggen has one on Philips as well, and if the price is far away from each, consider the Rousset rejected!

Howard

FideLeo

Quote from: hautbois on March 31, 2008, 08:27:52 AM
I find Hogwood's output generally on the less inspired and bland side...for the Mozart concertos, there are many many better performances. The Rameau is a great cd! But Bruggen has one on Philips as well, and if the price is far away from each, consider the Rousset rejected!

Howard

Hogwood can be bland, but this one of WAM's flute concertos seems to be an exception -- it is one of very good performances I think.  The oboe and clarinet concertos, however, seem a bit overrated to me.

EDIT.  The Rousset recording is ALL overtures...while the Bruggen isn't (concert suites) so it's not really an either-or
choice actually.

Renfield

I recently picked up Hogwood's (overcomplete :P) box set of the Mozart symphonies, on a whim. Rather interesting.

And of course the Bach Que recommended to me, bought a while ago, which has been a most enjoyable purchase. :)